PDA

View Full Version : Fans of Mogwai

Roboman
02-02-2010, 05:02 AM
You'd better be aware of the live DVD coming out, set to be pretty amazing.
Trailer (play it very loud): Mogwai Live Film "Burning" Teaser on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/7500309)

Setlist for video:
'The Precipice'
'I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead'
'Hunted By A Freak'
'Like Herod'
'New Paths To Helicon Pt1'
'Mogwai Fear Satan'
'Scotland's Shame'
'Batcat'

Setlist for live CD:
'I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead'
'Friend Of The Night'
'Hunted By A Freak'
'Mogwai Fear Satan'
'Cody'
'You Don't Know Jesus'
'I Know You Are But What Am I'
'I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School'
'2 Rights Make 1 Wrong'
'Like Herod'
'Glasgow Megasnake'

But anyway, if there is one band that I've consistently always gone back to, it's these guys. This was the band that got me off the cliche heavy screaming music I was into back in 2004 and into everything else. Dynamic shifts like nobody else. Finally saw them live in 2009 and my head almost exploded. Favourite songs of theirs over the years:

Ten Rapid vesion of Summer - first song I had heard of them, unlike anything I had listened to other than perhaps Tubular Bells. Has so much depth, you can barely hear parts of it due to the sheets of reverb, then it all explodes. So much space in this song.

Take Me Somewhere Nice - string section is amazing, really calm and well crafted.

Superheroes of BMX - such a desolate song, then gets shredded to pieces by screeching noise. Drum machines make it really kind of impersonal.

2 Rights Make 1 Wrong - the 5 minute outro is the best part of this song to me, going from the loud horn-filled middle of the song to floating through glitch / banjo / vocal choirs. A lot of memories attached to this one, and kind of overly disappionted it won't be on the DVD. Oh well. ;-{

Shit, theres too many. Others I love are Cody, pretty much all of Happy Songs (Hunted by a Freak, Killing all the Flies and Ratts especially), Travel is Dangerous, New Paths To Helicon part 1, Burn Girl Prom Queen, Xmas Steps, Like Herod, Batcat, Friend of the Night, Glasgow MegaSnake, Were No Here, too many.

Sorry about the rant, I just realised I've been listening to this band for so long and haven't even come close to getting sick of them yet. Any other fans?

Iskatehard
02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
Amazing group.

I am sort of disappointed by the video setlist though. I mean, I guess it works, but I would have rather seen some different stuff from them.

Take Me Somewhere Nice is one of my favorite songs by them. Been listening to Burn Girl Prom Queen a lot lately, too. If I remember right that was the first song of theirs I had ever heard. Oh, and of course, Auto Rock <3. Sun Smells Too Loud is really nice

Their cover of "Don't Cry" is really nice, too. I think it's the quality of the entire thing (pretty much only one version from what I've seen) adds that much more to it. I still find it sort of odd they did it though

Roboman
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
^ Yeah I'm definitely with you on the video setlist. The one album I don't much listen to is this newest one because to me it felt kind of forced, like they were overthinking it and keeping it really 'Mogwai', it's so similar to Mr. Beast. But it does have Hunted by a Freak, Helicon 1 and Mogwai Fear Satan which is cool.

And I haven't heard their cover yet.

skatevirginia
02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm a fan!

Nesta.
02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
The Sun Smells Too Loud is one of my favorite songs ever. Such good memories from the summer associated with it.

Iskatehard
02-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I've been listening to them all day now.. Probably because this thread haha. Really sort of makes you understand how much of an art music can be, if that makes sense.

codyguy
02-02-2010, 11:30 PM
mr beast is the only album of theirs i've listened to in a long time. i wasn't aware that they named a song after me.

and that i left the trailer playing while i got distracted, and it scared the shit out of me once it picked up.

Roboman
02-02-2010, 11:44 PM
^ Yeah, the song Cody stands for the name of the album 'Come On, Die Young!'

codyguy
02-03-2010, 12:52 AM
i hope that's not what my parents named me for

Roboman
02-03-2010, 01:47 AM
Hahahaha

Nesta.
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
I was actually listening to them on my ipod all through school today.