PDA

View Full Version : BTTLS (battles)

i cheat at golf
09-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Who else is a fan?

As you can see from my sig (if you know them) I am!

YouTube - Battles - Tonto (from the album Mirrored) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLAN29W-4w)

Before I listened to them I had never heard anything like that in my human life, and they're rediculously good live...

Seriously, seeing them live is a must, it's completely different/so much better than the album...

alienworkshopper
09-03-2009, 05:25 AM
well i never heard of them but check out social d

i cheat at golf
09-03-2009, 05:37 AM
Yeah I've heard them, if your talking about social distortion...

Watch the video I posted above...

Roboman
09-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Hmmm, why you call them BTTLS?

I really like them, I actually prefer the EP quite a bit over Mirrored though. I somehow missed hearing about their Melbourne show last summer :(

I first found out about them when I heard it was the same drummer as in Tomahawk. And I was like "whaaaaa?"

alienworkshopper
09-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Yeah I've heard them, if your talking about social distortion...

Watch the video I posted above...

yeah i am talking about social distortion. they rock, no?
yeah that vid is good. sick

spanky_dan
09-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Hmmm, why you call them BTTLS?

I really like them, I actually prefer the EP quite a bit over Mirrored though. I somehow missed hearing about their Melbourne show last summer :(

I first found out about them when I heard it was the same drummer as in Tomahawk. And I was like "whaaaaa?"

Well they have that song on their EP called BTTLS, I think it's just them spelling Battles but removing the vowels.

I love them, very disappointed I didn't get to see when they played in Sydney, but I will eventually. Mirrored is a killer album, I prefer it to the EP by far.

Roboman
09-04-2009, 01:02 AM
^ Wow, thankyou!

Hang on, I'd better explain myself.

Alright, I first read your post and thought no way, they don't have a song called BTTLS because I bought the EP C a couple of years ago so at least a fault in my knowledge wouldn't be caused by a dodgy torrent.

But then searched for it, and somehow I completely missed out on their other B EP! TRAS2 is my favourite Battles song, and this has a fucking TRAS3 on it!

I liked the album more to start with, but for some reason the EP songs stayed with me longer than the album songs did. Race:In, Race:Out, Tonto and Ddiamondddd are still absolutely killer though haha.

THEDIAMONDTHATWASTOLENHELDTHECODETHATMELTEDWATERIN TOLETTERSSPELLINGWHEREITHADBEENTAKENTOINFACTIHADAV ISIONOFTHENUMBERSCORRESPONDINGWITHTHELETTERST-H-E-D-I-A-M-O-N-D!

spanky_dan
09-04-2009, 03:57 AM
Haha. I have an EP with both EP's in one...I think. But somehow I have all their songs.

And TRAS2 is one of my favourites too, along with BTTLS (the song) I think they're the best on the EP's. I love the polished, more conventional (if that can be used haha) sound and approach to the songs on Mirrored, a lot of the stuff on the EP's is too experimental or weird sounding for me, although still good.

And Ddiamonddd! I was so shocked when I actually read the lyrics, I thought Tyondai was just using his voice as an instrument, I didn't know there were comprehensible lyrics that were so...intricate, they are pretty much a massive mindfuck. Makes the song that much more mindblowing.

Roboman
09-04-2009, 03:58 AM
Well, now that I listened to it, EP B is quite different to most of the other Battles songs. TRAS3 wasn't really like TRAS2. Oh well, still very cool.

Iskatehard
09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
I haven't heard them, or of them, until this thread.. But the OP link is pretty fucking good. Really some neat sounding stuff in it, I'ma have to check out more stuff for sure

i cheat at golf
09-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Same Spanky, I bought EPC/BEP as one, but I heard it after I had torn mirrored a new asshole, so obviously I was in for something different..

It's a lot more sparse I guess (more so than mirrored) and the songs don't seem to be as busy.. HI/LO is my favorite off either EP.

I had no idea what they'd be like before I saw them, but I love how they sort of weave all their songs together and keep it going in between.. Its certainly an experience...