PDA

View Full Version : Any good post-rock bands?

Savage*
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Do you guys know any good post-rock bands? It's very calming and chill to listen to. Only one I know is do make say think.

reptiskate52
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Mogwai
Explosions in the Sky
Sigur Ros
65daysofstatic
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

codyguy
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
saxon shore
this will destroy you
caspian
the samuel jackson five
yndi halda

Kramazubg
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
All bands mentioned in this thread are amazing.
Also check out this band from NZ
http://www.myspace.com/endersound

deathbat411
04-29-2009, 05:25 PM
All bands mentioned in this thread are amazing.
Also check out this band from NZ
http://www.myspace.com/endersound (http://www.myspace.com/endersound)

theyre pretty sick ^

Killamangiro
04-30-2009, 06:18 AM
65daysofstatic
Mum

jpharaoh69
04-30-2009, 07:25 AM
I haven't listened to them, but The Samuel Jackson Five is an amazing name

EDIT: just looked them up. The fact that there are four of them makes the name even better

i want to make a band called "the bearded trio of four" and theres 5 of us, none of which have beards.

Roboman
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
A lot of the good ones have been said.

Out of the above, 65daysofstatic is my favourite band, but they aren't really calming because they use so much glitch in their songs. Get the album 'The Fall of Math' if you're interested in them, its a good starter.

Saxon Shore have my favourite album, 'The exquisite Death of...'. A lot of atmosphere to it, songs are probably more structured than most post rock.

Sigur Ros is amazing, 'Takk' has more accessible songs on it, '()' is full on glacial so if you're up for it then its much deeper.

And Yndi Halda have the vastest songs. They just meander along for a long time but don't seem to get repetitive. They have a violinist too, some people don't like that but I think its good.

Other notable albums:

'All is violent, all is bright' by God is an Astronaut
'Radio Swan is Down' by Laura
'Inventions for the New Season' by Maserati, less post rocky but awesome because of it.

I haven't listened to them, but The Samuel Jackson Five is an amazing name

EDIT: just looked them up. The fact that there are four of them makes the name even better

Yeah, I love them. Everyone calls them 'post rock' but they aren't really, more like experimental rock with jazz influences. Either way they are one of those genuinely interesting-to-listen-to type bands.

Savage*
05-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah these bands are awesome, especially endersound and mogwai. Any other bands that have more of a build-up tension sort of feel?

Roboman
05-02-2009, 02:06 AM
^ If These Trees Could Talk are quite tense. Maybe some post metal like Red Sparrows or Pelican.

Mogwai too, I know you already said them but their discography is quite vast in style, the album 'Young Team' has some very tense songs on it, especially the song 'Like Herod' which is the scariest song I've ever heard live.

.Blackie.
05-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Most everything on Constellation Records is great. They're GY!BE's label...

Set Fire to Flames
Hangedup
Fly Pan Am
Hrsta

And a couple others not on Constellation are:
Tortoise
Eluvium (the album "Talk Amongst the Trees" is his only "post-rock" sort of album, I've almost cried at the beauty of "New Animals from the Air" under a certain type of intoxication.....)

reptiskate52
05-02-2009, 04:51 PM
^ If These Trees Could Talk are quite tense. Maybe some post metal like Red Sparrows or Pelican.

Mogwai too, I know you already said them but their discography is quite vast in style, the album 'Young Team' has some very tense songs on it, especially the song 'Like Herod' which is the scariest song I've ever heard live.
Not to mention this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

YouTube - Mogwai - "Friend of the Night" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC_3alnTE9g)

Roboman
05-02-2009, 05:31 PM
^ Yeah, the ordering of the parts in that song just sets it off.

Roboman
05-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Oh watch out, Paganboy's gonna say something negative about post rock!

Haha.