PDA

View Full Version : Streetlight Manifesto

Fuz
03-05-2009, 09:48 PM
= pure win.

More ska that sounds like this. I mean there's certain ska that kind of annoys me like alot of Op Ivy songs, then I cream to certain ska bands like Streetlight and Reel Big Fish. So what would be some stuff that I'm looking for?

akkaquill
03-05-2009, 09:55 PM
well you don't like operation ivy so i'm not helping you >_<

p
03-05-2009, 09:57 PM
mighty mighty bosstones
less than jake
bomb the music industry
the arrogant sons of bitches
the specials
more mainstream shit that everyone else is going to post
AND FUCK YOU FOR NOT LIKING OP IVY
w

Fuz
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM
sound system is cool.

g00Db0y8
03-05-2009, 10:36 PM
well you don't like operation ivy so i'm not helping you >_<

ziocs1337
03-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Am i the only one who thinks reel big fish blows?

g00Db0y8
03-06-2009, 05:52 AM
Am i the only one who thinks reel big fish blows?

yes, obviously

V3
03-06-2009, 07:31 AM
DVS Sk8er = Biggest Streetlight fan

DVS Skater
03-06-2009, 07:59 AM
DVS Sk8er = Biggest Streetlight fan
:-/

SkaSkate
03-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Do you know how many threads have been made on this GENERIC BORING BAND? A thousand. I like ska, but Streetlight is pure boredom.

Of course I have seen maybe two or three threads about good ska bands, as opposed to the 99999 total that Streetlight and Reel Big Fish have.

DVS Skater
03-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Do you know how many threads have been made on this GENERIC BORING BAND? A thousand. I like ska, but Streetlight is pure boredom.

Of course I have seen maybe two or three threads about good ska bands, as opposed to the 99999 total that Streetlight and Reel Big Fish have.
Streetlight is one of the best ska bands. Gtfo

SkaSkate
03-06-2009, 08:59 AM
If you don't like to hear anything different ever and just want a quick beat with no thought in it then yes, they're great at that.

jpharaoh69
03-06-2009, 09:05 AM
If you don't like to hear anything different ever and just want a quick beat with no thought in it then yes, they're great at that.

fool.

DVS Skater
03-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Go listen to your shitty funk.

SkaSkate
03-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm listening to New York Ska Jazz Ensemble right now, they're maybe... I don't know... 20 times better than Streetlight.

DVS Skater
03-06-2009, 09:25 AM
In my opinion, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W53RjPJIAU > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLhiIBuAAo&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwLhiIBuAAo&feature=related)

Korn Cakes
03-06-2009, 09:29 AM
DVS, the second song in that post sounds like it'd be in like a montage of an elevator going up and down.

DVS Skater
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
DVS, the second song in that post sounds like it'd be in like a montage of an elevator going up and down.
That is EXACTLY what I thought haha. It is pretty much elevator music, but I guess in SkaSkate's opinion, it is better than SM.

Korn Cakes
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I've never heard much ska before.
I've only really heard SM and Less Than Jake, but I really like how it's really upbeat and shit.
The New York blah blah was incredibly boring.

SkaSkate
03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
HAhaha the Streetlight song is just like all the other songs I've heard from them. Quick Blink 182 like vocals and the music sounds so similar.

New York Skajazz have some similar sounding songs too, but they play in all sorts of styles... they never get boring for me. Don't know, that's how I feel it.

jpharaoh69
03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
HAhaha the Streetlight song is just like all the other songs I've heard from them. Quick Blink 182 like vocals and the music sounds so similar.

New York Skajazz have some similar sounding songs too, but they play in all sorts of styles... they never get boring for me. Don't know, that's how I feel it.

you sir, have some fucked up ears if oyu think every streetlight song sounds the same. in a genre where the basis of the song is the exact same rhythm, theyre one of the few bands who constantly do different stuff.

akkaquill
03-06-2009, 11:24 AM
see now i always thought this was the best ska band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue2OCk_Yq3Y

reptiskate52
03-06-2009, 11:58 AM
First off, Streetlight is awesome, along with Reel Big Fish. Other good ska:
The Specials
The Gadgits
Catch 22
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Mustard Plug

Also, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra>NY Ska-jazz ensemble

cornh0lio
03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I got mah Streetlight Manifesto shirt on RYT NAO. Yeah, they're pretty much the shit. From a drummers perspective (I forgot the drummers name >.>) it's pure orgasm, he's fucking nasty.

DVS Skater
03-06-2009, 12:27 PM
The Specials
The Gadgits
Catch 22
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Mustard Plug

Bomb The Music Industry! and Less Than Jake are also good. As are The Planet Smashers.

g00Db0y8
03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
streetlight > skaskate

DVS Skater
03-06-2009, 05:13 PM
He has 0 taste in music.

Snake
03-06-2009, 06:30 PM
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Ska#Catch_22.2FStreetlight_Manifestofaggot.2FTomas _Motherfucking_Kalnoky

This article ruined streetlight for me. Damn you ed.

g00Db0y8
03-06-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/Ska#Catch_22.2FStreetlight_Manifestofaggot.2FTomas _Motherfucking_Kalnoky

fuck that shit

akkaquill
03-06-2009, 08:30 PM

that article is pretty much what i thought about streetlight before i read it haha.

PezThePenguin!
03-06-2009, 08:41 PM
I think Streetlight is alright, I have the cd Everything Goes Numb.

SkaSkate
03-06-2009, 11:19 PM
The Specials
The Gadgits
Catch 22
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Mustard Plug

I like all the bands you posted except streetlight and reel big. I love Tokyo Ska too, but for me they're equal to NY skajazz. Both Tokyo and NY have VERY strong covers, and their instrumentals are always good.

akkaquill's band is sick too.

He has 0 taste in music.

I'm willing to bet my left leg I've heard 10 times more music than you, my taste is a lot more refined, sorry.

Plus as far as I recall you're still a kid, maybe in a few years you'll hear more music and develop a taste, untill then just keep it cool.

Killamangiro
03-07-2009, 04:32 AM
I love Streetlight as much as i hate Reel Big Fish

DVS Skater
03-07-2009, 10:20 AM
I like all the bands you posted except streetlight and reel big. I love Tokyo Ska too, but for me they're equal to NY skajazz. Both Tokyo and NY have VERY strong covers, and their instrumentals are always good.

akkaquill's band is sick too.

I'm willing to bet my left leg I've heard 10 times more music than you, my taste is a lot more refined, sorry.

Plus as far as I recall you're still a kid, maybe in a few years you'll hear more music and develop a taste, untill then just keep it cool.I'm 15, not really a toddler or anything, as you are making it seem. I have been listening to ska for probably about 5 years or so. It seems pretty cocky of you to blatantly state that you have "refined tastes." Age isn't really a usable argument, just take jpharaoh for example. I'm pretty sure he is like 20 years old, and is still a fan of Streetlight.

Also, I've listened to most genres of music, so it isn't like Streetlight is the first band I have ever heard. You didn't even need to post in this thread. Ok, you don't like Streetlight Manifesto, but there was no reason to voice your opinion. The thread starter wanted to know more similar bands, not your dislike of the band he took interest in.

JerseySucks
03-07-2009, 11:11 AM

Plus as far as I recall you're still a kid, maybe in a few years you'll hear more music and develop a taste, untill then just keep it cool.

Your taste isn't more "refined." It isn't an ore extracted from the bottom of the earth that was purified into a better substance. You're just acting like a pretentious douchebag because you like jazz.

www.myspace.com/rxbandits

The best ska band ever. Listen to their newer stuff.

SkaSkate
03-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Nah I act like a pretentious douchebag because I've listened to ska for almost twice as long as he has, and that's not a short time.

I also thought acting stuck up would have more impact as a response to being told I have 0 taste in music.

reptiskate52
03-07-2009, 04:04 PM
BOTAR is really sick as well.

Turboz
03-07-2009, 04:18 PM
in all fairness, skaskate does live in a backwards country.

SkaSkate
03-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I cannot argue here. Not relevant though. I probably listen to more american bands than many americans.

DVS Skater
03-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Nah I act like a pretentious douchebag because I've listened to ska for almost twice as long as he has, and that's not a short time.

I also thought acting stuck up would have more impact as a response to being told I have 0 taste in music.In response to your unnecessary posting of the dislike you have towards a certain band.

DVS Skater
03-08-2009, 06:40 PM

I'm sorry, but you are an idiot. Catch 22 was started by Tomas Kalnoky, the lead singer of Streetlight Manifesto. You say Streetlight is bland, but Catch isn't then? You said "HAhaha the Streetlight song is just like all the other songs I've heard from them. Quick Blink 182 like vocals and the music sounds so similar." Streetlight has had like 4 members from Catch don't they? Tomas K, Jamie Egan, Josh Ansley, and Mike Soprano, I believe. So pretty much, if you think Streetlight is bad, you probably should think Catch is.

Korn Cakes
03-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I cannot argue here. Not relevant though. I probably listen to more american bands than many americans.

Do you TRY to make yourself look stupid or does it just come naturally?

g00Db0y8
03-08-2009, 06:59 PM
gimp/streetlight/catch/BOTAR > skaskate

DVS Skater
03-08-2009, 07:28 PM
gimp/streetlight/catch/BOTAR > skaskate
Or Tomas Kalnoky=god

riskitforabiscuit
03-08-2009, 07:37 PM
They just sound like every other third wave ska band to me. I don't get why everyone thinks they are so much better than any other ska band. Give me Operation Ivy any day.

g00Db0y8
03-08-2009, 07:39 PM
i like operation ivy too
but to me...idk he can make so many songs and ill like every single one of them.

SkaSkate
03-09-2009, 03:20 AM
They just sound like every other third wave ska band to me. I don't get why everyone thinks they are so much better than any other ska band. Give me Operation Ivy any day.

Oh no, riskit has 0 taste too, and he plays in a shitty worthless band.

Or is it the complete opposite?

shutupthepunx
03-14-2009, 07:27 PM
you seriously need help finding a band like reel big fish? try 50% of every ska band out there. kalnoky is a huge douche, i dunno why kids are so hopped up on him. their music is pretty generic, too. skaskate, this is the future of ska. all these shitty, similar, way generic bands are getting all the attention that should belong to the bands with tallent, the NY ska-jazz ensemble included. i hate streetlight. can barley stand less than jake. operation ivy is nothing special. i dont go to shows wearing checkered fucking everything so i can be different, ironicly looking like everyone else in the process. skanking makes you look like idiots. punk was probably the worst thing to happen to third wave. ska-punk is too jr. high for me.

JerseySucks
03-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Rx Bandits is the best "ska" band ever. Because now they just play heavy funk type rock with ska influence. it makes for much better music.

www.myspace.com/rxbandits

drizzle
03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
you seriously need help finding a band like reel big fish? try 50% of every ska band out there. kalnoky is a huge douche, i dunno why kids are so hopped up on him. their music is pretty generic, too. skaskate, this is the future of ska. all these shitty, similar, way generic bands are getting all the attention that should belong to the bands with tallent, the NY ska-jazz ensemble included. i hate streetlight. can barley stand less than jake. operation ivy is nothing special. i dont go to shows wearing checkered fucking everything so i can be different, ironicly looking like everyone else in the process. skanking makes you look like idiots. punk was probably the worst thing to happen to third wave. ska-punk is too jr. high for me.

keepin it real

SkaSkate
03-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Word. I got pissed off because the guy didn't like Ivy, but liked the two most cliche and boring bands in ska.

drizzle
03-16-2009, 07:08 PM
on the topic of "SM SUCKS JAZZY SHIT RULES",

the best music is right inbetween.

2ND WAVE SKA AND SKINHEAD REGGAE, MOTHERFUCKER. FTW

IMO, the best modern ska is Hub City Stompers. they're the only ones to take ska and do something with it that hasnt already been done a billion times, and sound good at the same time (lets face it, seriously, BTMI sucks balls and you all know it)

i mean, SM's good and all, but they're pretty much just regular ass 3rd wave ska punk at double the speed...

Volcom_Skate
03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I hate how that song Sick and Sad is fast. Its sucks.

shutupthepunx
03-16-2009, 08:07 PM
on the topic of "SM SUCKS JAZZY SHIT RULES",

the best music is right inbetween.

2ND WAVE SKA AND SKINHEAD REGGAE, MOTHERFUCKER. FTW

IMO, the best modern ska is Hub City Stompers. they're the only ones to take ska and do something with it that hasnt already been done a billion times, and sound good at the same time (lets face it, seriously, BTMI sucks balls and you all know it)

i mean, SM's good and all, but they're pretty much just regular ass 3rd wave ska punk at double the speed...
i hate ska-punk because its way too different from what ska was originally intended to be. i like 3rd wave, and shitty bands like BTMI shouldnt be confused with it. (my name isnt a god damn reference by the way, fuck you all.) HCS are pretty sweet, they have OG 3rd wave sound, much respect to them. right on, man.

g00Db0y8
03-16-2009, 08:11 PM
i hate ska-punk because its way too different from what ska was originally intended to be. i like 3rd wave, and shitty bands like BTMI shouldnt be confused with it. (my name isnt a god damn reference by the way, fuck you all.) HCS are pretty sweet, they have OG 3rd wave sound, much respect to them. right on, man.

fuck you

Fuz
03-16-2009, 08:42 PM
wow, everyones getting really angry over opinions. that whole argument between skaskate and DVS sk8ter wasn't that necessary. people like different types of ska. i'm pretty naive about ska, i really don't know many ska bands at all. i'm typical/generic for listening to streetlight. cool.