PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd finally share some thoughts

Gopher
01-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Have you ever realized how fucked we are? You work so hard in your life, to obtain material possessions, to earn the respect of others, etc. When in the end you're rewarded with being six feet under and you never get to have another thought again. Really, in the whole mix of things we're just another animal, and I don't understand why people think otherwise. There's nothing special about us, other than our intelligence and ability to use and create tools but look where that's gotten us.

I've got no real message or any way I think you should live your life, only that you should enjoy it to the best of your abilities and find someone you love and hold onto her (or him, if you're one of the few females/homos on this site).

This has nothing to do with BROBOT's thread, either. I'm definitely not happy with nothing, I need something, someone.

FallingUp
01-04-2009, 12:38 AM
wat?

kickflipsarehard
01-04-2009, 12:47 AM
K.

Save_The_Pandas
01-04-2009, 12:51 AM
personally I think death will be fucking sweet, like an eternal break from the bullshit of the world.

DomPy
01-04-2009, 03:22 AM
yeah.

flipuk
01-04-2009, 06:46 AM
If there is nothing special about us explain why animals cannot possibly think the samething as what you've just said, in fact, there isn't even concrete evidence (if any at all) they even have a mind.

stfu

The Sinistral
01-04-2009, 08:24 AM
it may look hopeless, but its fun to be alive and kick it with people you enjoy.

emerica69
01-04-2009, 08:28 AM
If there is nothing special about us explain why animals cannot possibly think the samething as what you've just said, in fact, there isn't even concrete evidence (if any at all) they even have a mind.

stfu

Well some species of animals are simply smarter than others. We just may be coincidentally the smartest

i_don't_know
01-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I disagree that we are more intelligent than other animals. What it comes down to is common sense, and most people lack that. That's why we've pretty much destroyed the planet. Logically, we may be "intelligent", but overall, people are fucking stupid.

stinkingfish
01-04-2009, 08:32 AM
dude why so serious?

theonlysun81
01-04-2009, 08:34 AM
You are enlightened aren't you. Hitting rock bottom isn't a weekend retreat. Fuck you OP.

Dr. Foundation
01-04-2009, 08:34 AM
thats why im aiming for the SEALs. i want to be happy with what ive accomplished in my life so that when i am 6 feet under, ill be proud of what ive done with my life.

reptiskate52
01-04-2009, 08:38 AM

stfu
Because animals have never been proven to grieve, right?

adude113
01-04-2009, 08:40 AM
Well then go enjoy your life, or kill yourself if you're gonna be that way. We work as hard as we do so that we're someday able to enjoy our lives. Some people need more stuff than others to enjoy their life, so they work harder. In the end, we're all just trying to get spread our genes (ie get laid) as much as we can before we die, because like you said, we're animals, and that's our natural instinct.

And if we're so dumb, what other animals could build all the shit we did, reproduce as much as we have, and have the power to destroy the earth? You think that dolphins could build fucking civilizations and destroy the earth if they wanted to, but choose not to cuz they're smarter than us? wow.

stinkingfish
01-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Well then go enjoy your life, or kill yourself if you're gonna be that way. We work as hard as we do so that we're someday able to enjoy our lives. Some people need more stuff than others to enjoy their life, so they work harder. In the end, we're all just trying to get spread our genes (ie get laid) as much as we can before we die, because like you said, we're animals, and that's our natural instinct.

And if we're so dumb, what other animals could build all the shit we did, reproduce as much as we have, and have the power to destroy the earth? You think that dolphins could build fucking civilizations and destroy the earth if they wanted to, but choose not to cuz they're smarter than us? wow.

Destroying your home planet isn't a sign of intelligence.

adude113
01-04-2009, 08:42 AM
The ability to is a sign of intelligence.

sk8board15
01-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Dolphins don't have thumbs. :O

Popwar Pill
01-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Eh, I don't work for material possessions, I don't generally care what people think of me..I just live and try having fun everyday.

i_don't_know
01-04-2009, 09:01 AM
The ability to is a sign of a lack of intelligence.

Fixed.

Shred-Z
01-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Yes people in this world are pretty fucked up, but fuck them. Everyone goes through shit in life, but then we all have those moments where everything is going good and good things happen that we will never forget. That's basically what I live for. Good moments with the people I care about.

Ynot
01-04-2009, 09:04 AM
every month or so, there's always a "OMG, i don't have any direction in my life" or "what have we come to as a people" thread

later on the thread starters go back to partying, drinking, and doing whatever else they complained about earlier

it's beautiful in a way

reptiskate52
01-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Vaguely related to this thread in the vaguest way possible, you all should totally watch the movie Wristcutters.

adude113
01-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Fixed.
Not really. Sure things weren't thought out about the planet with the creation of all the factories and stuff, but the technology we've developed is pretty impressive, and indeed a sign of intelligence. And then there's the whole deal with all the nuclear missiles and stuff. To be able to understand how to make them is really, really smart. You can't deny that.
every month or so, there's always a "OMG, i don't have any direction in my life" or "what have we come to as a people" thread

later on the thread starters go back to partying, drinking, and doing whatever else they complained about earlier

it's beautiful in a way
lol

skater danny
01-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Vaguely related to this thread in the vaguest way possible, you all should totally watch the movie Wristcutters.

Ya know, I just watched that movie last night on the free movies on demand channel. It is a pretty decent movie I actually enjoyed.

stinkingfish
01-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Ya know, I just watched that movie last night on the free movies on demand channel. It is a pretty decent movie I actually enjoyed.

you guys should give a damn plot summary.

Grand_Hustle
01-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Life's what you make it.

You can have fun,or bitch and let your cunt drain all over the place like you're doing.

reptiskate52
Or you could just watch it.

i_don't_know
Not really. Sure things weren't thought out about the planet with the creation of all the factories and stuff, but the technology we've developed is pretty impressive, and indeed a sign of intelligence. And then there's the whole deal with all the nuclear missiles and stuff. To be able to understand how to make them is really, really smart. You can't deny that.

lol

It's advanced. It's well-adapted. But it lacks common sense, so I still can't call it "smart".

pain.
01-04-2009, 09:48 AM
you make me want to dieeeee
thats why i trust you
thats how i can look you in the eye and say i love you

Grand_Hustle
01-04-2009, 09:51 AM
And be a simpllllllleeeeee,kind of maaaaaaaaan

and be someooooone,you love and understaaaaaand.

/Skynyrd

Ynot
01-04-2009, 09:52 AM
and be a simpllllllleeeeee,kind of maaaaaaaaan

and be someooooone,you love and understaaaaaand.

/skynyrd
fuck yes!!

stinkingfish
01-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Or you could just watch it.

ok. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA_Q4UAeImw

adude113
01-04-2009, 09:56 AM
It's advanced. It's well-adapted. But it lacks common sense, so I still can't call it "smart".
Yes we can, and you can't say that no common sense was used in the actual creation of that stuff.

i_don't_know
01-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes we can, and you can't say that no common sense was used in the actual creation of that stuff.

Actually I can. You see, the way I look at it, there is immediate thinking and deep thinking. Both require some common sense, but two different kinds of common sense. Immediate thinking is about what's on the surface, what's happening at the time, etc. and requires more self-centered common sense. That is the kind of thinking most people are most capable of, and I do not count that as intelligence. To me, that is nothing but well-adapted instinct. Deep thinking is about future consequences and everything that is "outside" the realm of immediate thinking, and this requires a form of common sense that focuses more on the world, everything around you, and everything that actually matters. Most people either are incapable of doing this quickly or efficiently enough to use it in everyday life, or they just don't bother. Whether you can't do it or you don't bother doesn't matter, as they both display a lack of the form of common sense that truly matters. Why does not bothering display this lack of common sense? Here's why - it's common sense to utilize common sense. To do otherwise makes you stupid.

Gopher
01-04-2009, 10:46 AM
whoa... I didn't mean for this to come off depressed or anything haha, as depressing as it might seem. I have a girlfriend, taking premed classes, have a job, am happy, etc.

I just wanted to share the truth.

adude113
01-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Actually I can. You see, the way I look at it, there is immediate thinking and deep thinking. Both require some common sense, but two different kinds of common sense. Immediate thinking is about what's on the surface, what's happening at the time, etc. and requires more self-centered common sense. That is the kind of thinking most people are most capable of, and I do not count that as intelligence. To me, that is nothing but well-adapted instinct. Deep thinking is about future consequences and everything that is "outside" the realm of immediate thinking, and this requires a form of common sense that focuses more on the world, everything around you, and everything that actually matters. Most people either are incapable of doing this quickly or efficiently enough to use it in everyday life, or they just don't bother. Whether you can't do it or you don't bother doesn't matter, as they both display a lack of the form of common sense that truly matters. Why does not bothering display this lack of common sense? Here's why - it's common sense to utilize common sense. To do otherwise makes you stupid.
Well it's not quite instinct (though it is the nature of animals), but it's certainly more well-adapted than any other animals, making humans more intelligent. And do you think animals think deeply like that? I don't think they do.

And you say "focusing on the world, everything around you, and everything that actually matters." Who says that to humans, that stuff is the most important? For some it is, and those humans use common sense the way you describe it. What truly matters to a lot of humans is rising to the top, being in control, and getting pussy (we are animals; we wanna spread our dna). That way that is done is through self-centered, immediate (kinda) thinking.

I'll finish this later. lol

readmyname
01-04-2009, 11:12 AM
^^
LOOK ITS A DEBATE!!!a

Iskatestreet
01-04-2009, 11:14 AM
too gay; didn't read

Dash
01-04-2009, 11:15 AM

No, fuck you, how many times must I provide this link people?

Asexuality!!! (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality)

pain.
01-04-2009, 11:22 AM

Asexuality!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality)
just because you dont get laid doesnt make you asexual

adude113
01-04-2009, 11:29 AM
^^
LOOK ITS A DEBATE!!!a
LOOK, IT'S A DUMBASS!!!

Asexuality!!! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexuality)
Ok dude, sorry, but most people are heterosexual. That's the goal of most animals. Including most people. I'm not hatin on asexual people or homosexual or whatever sexual.

Dash
01-04-2009, 11:32 AM

If that was an attempt at a burn it was pretty shoddy, I don't want to get laid for the same reason you don't want to be fucked in the ass by another man.

Grand_Hustle
01-04-2009, 11:39 AM

Hahahahaha.

Shiiiiit

Clayton or die
01-04-2009, 11:39 AM
^do you even masturbate? have you ever had an orgasm?

@DASH

pain.
01-04-2009, 11:40 AM
If that was an attempt at a burn it was pretty shoddy, I don't want to get laid for the same reason you don't want to be fucked in the ass by another man.
so, does that make you gay?
i dont want to get fucked in the ass by another man cause thats gay and it hurts
so if thats true you dont want to get laid because its gay and it hurts?
hmm.
im lost

Dash
01-04-2009, 11:40 AM
I like how I've hijacked two threads due to this...

To Clayton: No, yes

To pain.: I don't want to because it goes against my sexuality.

i_don't_know
01-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Well it's not quite instinct (though it is the nature of animals), but it's certainly more well-adapted than any other animals, making humans more intelligent. And do you think animals think deeply like that? I don't think they do.

And you say "focusing on the world, everything around you, and everything that actually matters." Who says that to humans, that stuff is the most important? For some it is, and those humans use common sense the way you describe it. What truly matters to a lot of humans is rising to the top, being in control, and getting pussy (we are animals; we wanna spread our dna). That way that is done is through self-centered, immediate (kinda) thinking.

I'll finish this later. lol

And that kind of thinking is nothing but advanced instinct. If humans were truly "intelligent", we would have known we were fucking up the world all along and gone in a different direction. An animal's #1 instinct is survival, but how is destroying your home survival? Humans do have a strong survival instinct, which explains all our fears and anxiety, but we fall short on protecting the most important thing for our survival because we don't have the common sense to immediately consider it in everyday life. And you said yourself that to humans focusing on the things that actually matter isn't important, so how intelligent can we be? We are logically advanced, but do not fulfill all the criteria to truly be considered as intelligent as we claim to be.

People are full of shit, lol.

EDIT: Dash is asexual?!?!?!?

Grand_Hustle
01-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Duh,dude,you didn't know that?

d-ville skater
01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
I always wonder how hard people try for things they want in the world. There willing to sacrifice, try, and etc. I always wonder...

adude113
01-04-2009, 11:52 AM
And that kind of thinking is nothing but advanced instinct. If humans were truly "intelligent", we would have known we were fucking up the world all along and gone in a different direction. An animal's #1 instinct is survival, but how is destroying your home survival? Humans do have a strong survival instinct, which explains all our fears and anxiety, but we fall short on protecting the most important thing for our survival because we don't have the common sense to immediately consider it in everyday life. And you said yourself that to humans focusing on the things that actually matter isn't important, so how intelligent can we be? We are logically advanced, but do not fulfill all the criteria to truly be considered as intelligent as we claim to be.

People are full of shit, lol.

EDIT: Dash is asexual?!?!?!?
Well it's not like we claim to be all-knowing and such. We really couldn't anticipate all this destruction and stuff. We're intelligent, but we're not psychic. And if humans considered every possible consequence for everything they try and the consequences of those consequences and so on, then nothing would ever get done.

And, with the destroying our home not surviving part, do we really care deep down about the humans in the future? We know (or at least the people generations before us that caused all this destruction to the earth knew) that they would survive and be able to reproduce and such, and that they themselves would benefit from the same stuff that caused the destruction. They didn't do much to harm themselves, just the generations after them.

And also, having conversations like these proves that we're more intelligent than animals. Unless you believe that animals can communicate complex thoughts like this and talk about humans and the world like in cartoon movies, lol. I mean, has it been disproven that animals can't? haha. And we obviously have a different opinion on what "intelligent" actually means, so yeah.

And I thought everyone on sb-c knew that Dash is asexual. ha

kickflip4
01-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Have you ever realized how fucked we are? You work so hard in your life, to obtain material possessions, to earn the respect of others, etc. When in the end you're rewarded with being six feet under and you never get to have another thought again. Really, in the whole mix of things we're just another animal, and I don't understand why people think otherwise. There's nothing special about us, other than our intelligence and ability to use and create tools but look where that's gotten us.

I've got no real message or any way I think you should live your life, only that you should enjoy it to the best of your abilities and find someone you love and hold onto her (or him, if you're one of the few females/homos on this site).

This has nothing to do with BROBOT's thread, either. I'm definitely not happy with nothing, I need something, someone.

Way to totally leave out any concept of an afterlife.

BonesSkater
01-04-2009, 12:47 PM
personally I think death will be fucking sweet, like an eternal break from the bullshit of the world.
how can you feel that relief if your dead?

i_don't_know
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Well it's not like we claim to be all-knowing and such. We really couldn't anticipate all this destruction and stuff. We're intelligent, but we're not psychic. And if humans considered every possible consequence for everything they try and the consequences of those consequences and so on, then nothing would ever get done.

And, with the destroying our home not surviving part, do we really care deep down about the humans in the future? We know (or at least the people generations before us that caused all this destruction to the earth knew) that they would survive and be able to reproduce and such, and that they themselves would benefit from the same stuff that caused the destruction. They didn't do much to harm themselves, just the generations after them.

And also, having conversations like these proves that we're more intelligent than animals. Unless you believe that animals can communicate complex thoughts like this and talk about humans and the world like in cartoon movies, lol. I mean, has it been disproven that animals can't? haha. And we obviously have a different opinion on what "intelligent" actually means, so yeah.

And I thought everyone on sb-c knew that Dash is asexual. ha

Wait a second. Define intelligence. I don't want a cookie-cutter definition, just what you think it is. I think we're talking about two different concepts of intelligence.

Unless you meant to prove yourself wrong in that post by my definition of intelligence.

WhiteTrash
01-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Life can hurt more, once you die the pains gone, it's over. ;)

adude113
01-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Wait a second. Define intelligence. I don't want a cookie-cutter definition, just what you think it is. I think we're talking about two different concepts of intelligence.

Unless you meant to prove yourself wrong in that post by my definition of intelligence.
Intelligence I think is having the ability to think, create, apply what we learn, and develop from that stuff. If that makes sense. Like other animals can do that to some extent I suppose, but humans can do it so much more. I don't think it has anything to do with like preserving the world and such. What's youe definition?

Fudopi
01-04-2009, 04:15 PM

stfu

http://www.yesko.com/medical_illustrations/images/dog03_big.jpg
Animals do in fact have brains/minds.

Therefore you can't say that there is no possibilty that they think what he just said because the human race, let alone you haven't analized an animals brain enough to know what it is capable of thinking.

Deth Kult
01-04-2009, 04:27 PM
I'm planning just to jack off every day of my life until I die so I can at least say I lived a sorta happy life.

adude113
01-04-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.yesko.com/medical_illustrations/images/dog03_big.jpg
Animals do in fact have brains/minds.

Therefore you can't say that there is no possibilty that they think what he just said because the human race, let alone you haven't analized an animals brain enough to know what it is capable of thinking.
No shit they have a brain, but that doesn't mean they have conscious thought the way that humans do.

iamtheyeti
01-04-2009, 04:39 PM
mind and conscious aren't the same thing

Twizzler
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
lol at dog brain

i_don't_know
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Intelligence I think is having the ability to think, create, apply what we learn, and develop from that stuff. If that makes sense. Like other animals can do that to some extent I suppose, but humans can do it so much more. I don't think it has anything to do with like preserving the world and such. What's youe definition?

You know mine. The ability to think deeply without effort and apply the necessary amount of the correct form of common sense to everyday life. Well, sort of. There's really no way to put my definition into words very well. But for example, because people couldn't tell that they were destroying the planet all along and decided to expand and destroy rather than take an alternative route from the beginning and protect the environment that contains every little thing that is necessary for them to survive, people are stupid. But it doesn't stop there. That is just the "deep thinking" portion. The "immediate thinking" portion of my definition is exactly what you said, and it is completely based on adaption and instinct. So, to me, intelligence is about 15% adaption, 20% instinct, and 65% "deep thinking". The reason I put deep thinking at 65% is because there is little dispute that even if an animal possesses 100% of the lesser two criteria, that animal still does not compare to a human in terms of intelligence, but on the other hand, humans are not really quite as intelligent as we think we are, so the deep thinking portion has to be large enough to allow for an enormous amount of variation. Also, they say the ability to reason is one of the main things that sets humans apart from other animals, and a portion of reasoning fits into the deep thinking category, so think of deep thinking as the "final factor" in determining intelligence. For this reason, it is the most important.

I'd put humans at about 95% adaption, 70% instinct, and 25%-30% deep thinking (deep thinking is one of those things that varies a lot between people). This puts humans at about 44.5%-47.75% total possible intelligence.

Statistics and total possible intelligence may vary. There's no way to know any of that for sure.

Deth Kult
01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure a dog's brain is pretty relative to a humans. Other than the whole canine, human thing.

Dash
01-04-2009, 04:55 PM
lol at "analized"

I know its correct spelling still has anal in it but it is still funny.

i_don't_know
01-04-2009, 04:59 PM
lol at "analized"

I know its correct spelling still has anal in it but it is still funny.

Are you sure you're asexual?

adude113
01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
noun 1.(in a human or other conscious being) the element, part, substance, or process that reasons, thinks, feels, wills, perceives, judges, etc.: the processes of the human mind. 2.Psychology. the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=mind
Yes it is.

You know mine. The ability to think deeply without effort and apply the necessary amount of the correct form of common sense to everyday life. Well, sort of. There's really no way to put my definition into words very well. But for example, because people couldn't tell that they were destroying the planet all along and decided to expand and destroy rather than take an alternative route from the beginning and protect the environment that contains every little thing that is necessary for them to survive, people are stupid. But it doesn't stop there. That is just the "deep thinking" portion. The "immediate thinking" portion of my definition is exactly what you said, and it is completely based on adaption and instinct. So, to me, intelligence is about 15% adaption, 20% instinct, and 65% "deep thinking". The reason I put deep thinking at 65% is because there is little dispute that even if an animal possesses 100% of the lesser two criteria, that animal still does not compare to a human in terms of intelligence, but on the other hand, humans are not really quite as intelligent as we think we are, so the deep thinking portion has to be large enough to allow for an enormous amount of variation. Also, they say the ability to reason is one of the main things that sets humans apart from other animals, and a portion of reasoning fits into the deep thinking category, so think of deep thinking as the "final factor" in determining intelligence. For this reason, it is the most important.

I'd put humans at about 95% adaption, 70% instinct, and 25%-30% deep thinking (deep thinking is one of those things that varies a lot between people). This puts humans at about 44.5%-47.75% total possible intelligence.

Statistics and total possible intelligence may vary. There's no way to know any of that for sure.
I see what you're saying. But how were humans supposed to know that they were destroying the earth all along? They didn't have the technology to know that. And the creation of that technology would just be the immediate thinking. Just really difficult immediate thinking. I'm not really understanding this concept of deep thinking. I understand the reasoning part, but the rest of it, and the common sense, I'm not really getting. Like is it looking ahead and seeing every possible consequence and noticing every little detail about everything? Cuz like I said before, that just seems more psychic and all-knowing, like a god figure.

But I still think we're smarter than animals. haha

Dash
01-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Are you sure you're asexual?

Yes, I don't see how having a retarded sense of humor would change that.

MOVING ON

iamtheyeti
01-04-2009, 05:20 PM
[/I]2.Psychology. the totality of conscious and unconscious mental processes and activities.

it's saying that it's the consciousness's mental activities. the mind is a tool of consciousness. they aren't the same.

adude113
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Yes, the consciousness's mental activities, which would be conscious thought, which is exactly what I said.

iamtheyeti
01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
you just said they were the same thing

adude113
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
I said that mind is conscious thought. Yes.

20thCB
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
thats why im aiming for the SEALs. i want to be happy with what ive accomplished in my life so that when i am 6 feet under, ill be proud of what ive done with my life.

Ooorah. This is why I'm going to fly jets and put people out of their misery en masse.

Dash
01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Ooorah. This is why I'm going to fly jets and put people out of their misery en masse.

People who join the Air Force are pussies who don't actually want to risk their lives but still want all the accolades.

iamtheyeti
01-04-2009, 05:28 PM

Yes it is.

Ramen
01-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Better a sheep than 6 feet deep.

20thCB
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
People who join the Air Force are pussies who don't actually want to risk their lives but still want all the accolades.

Really? I think you should join and see otherwise.

i_don't_know
01-04-2009, 05:30 PM
I see what you're saying. But how were humans supposed to know that they were destroying the earth all along? They didn't have the technology to know that. And the creation of that technology would just be the immediate thinking. Just really difficult immediate thinking. I'm not really understanding this concept of deep thinking. I understand the reasoning part, but the rest of it, and the common sense, I'm not really getting. Like is it looking ahead and seeing every possible consequence and noticing every little detail about everything? Cuz like I said before, that just seems more psychic and all-knowing, like a god figure.

But I still think we're smarter than animals. haha

What's not to get? Looking as deep as possible into every little thing. Thinking outside the box. Outside the realm of immediate happenings and physical presences.

And it's not the same as being psychic, though being psychic would definitely give you a boost in that category. If you're psychic, you predict the future without logic. If you're strong in the deep thinking category of intelligence, you're able to guess correctly by utilizing logic and common sense. For example, oil is some dirty, nasty shit. We burn it. It doesn't drip back out. It must be going up in the air. Dirty, nasty shit in our atmosphere = ???????

What we did wrong was get "harmless" as our answer to that simple, logical thinking process. You don't need to know a lot about something to have a good idea of what's going to happen because of it. You just have to use the knowledge you have of other things and apply it. The reason we failed was because we lack the necessary amount of the correct form of common sense.

adude113
01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Ohhhh. I get it now. This is like when I said that if humans tried to do that, we'd just sit around all day getting nothing done. But that's because we don't have that common sense. That's a very interesting way to think of intelligence.

Dash
01-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Really? I think you should join and see otherwise.

Are you willing to die for your country (which is full of pampered dumbasses)?

(no, neither are 98% of the people currently in the Air Force)

20thCB
01-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Are you willing to die for your country (which is full of pampered dumbasses)?

(no, neither are 98% of the people currently in the Air Force)

Yes - along with probably 85% of the service. I hope that you've been in and out of the service otherwise you really have no knowledge from which to speak.

Sorry for being of topic everyone...

adude113
01-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Ok? I said that mind is conscious thought, and the definition said that it was the conscious mental activities or whatever. Which is thought. Which is just what I said. You said that the mind is the brain and has nothing to do with anything conscious, but it does. It has to do with conscious thought. ok.....

CatDog
01-04-2009, 06:38 PM
AF does it's part in the armed forces. Sure, the majority sit behind computers and equipment all day, but shit, some people want to serve their country without being in the line of fire.

And Dash, you are a virgin piece of shit with no life. You're not asexual by choice.

Dash
01-04-2009, 06:40 PM
AF does it's part in the armed forces. Sure, the majority sit behind computers and equipment all day, but shit, some people want to serve their country without being in the line of fire.

And Dash, you are a virgin piece of shit with no life. You're not asexual by choice.

ahahahahahahahaha, way to go with that assumption there, buddy.

adude113
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
I think it's funny when people try to make fun of Dash for not getting any pussy. Like they think he cares or something. haha

flipuk
01-05-2009, 03:59 AM
Because animals have never been proven to grieve, right?

Proven?

I'd like you to show me concrete prove of animals griefing, although it is probable in my opinion for htem to experience emotions but that is purely anthropomorphism and possibly nothing else.

It's like this... When you sleep you often show characteristics when dreaming, i.e. talking, fast blinking etc. If you saw your pet doing hte same you'd probably say "my cat is dreaming" but in actuality, you don't know your cat is dreaming because the only possible way yo ucan 100% know is if you were a cat. And even then, you would merely be ascribing dreams to the cat based on the fact you have dreams yourself and therefore assume the other cat can too.

In short, animal behaviour can be explained in far far too many ways although I wouldn't say they can't grief (I dont think I even did say that..). But anyone who thinks another animal is even close to as intelligent as we are is well, thinking irrationally to be honest.

And to i_dont_know your definition of intelligence is flawed / biased towards humans. If humans were only 45% (or whatever) based off your way, pretty much every other animal would be far far below it due to the inherent amount of instinctual and behavioural thinking they have

reptiskate52
01-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Proven?

I'd like you to show me concrete prove of animals griefing, although it is probable in my opinion for htem to experience emotions but that is purely anthropomorphism and possibly nothing else.

It's like this... When you sleep you often show characteristics when dreaming, i.e. talking, fast blinking etc. If you saw your pet doing hte same you'd probably say "my cat is dreaming" but in actuality, you don't know your cat is dreaming because the only possible way yo ucan 100% know is if you were a cat. And even then, you would merely be ascribing dreams to the cat based on the fact you have dreams yourself and therefore assume the other cat can too.

In short, animal behaviour can be explained in far far too many ways although I wouldn't say they can't grief (I dont think I even did say that..). But anyone who thinks another animal is even close to as intelligent as we are is well, thinking irrationally to be honest.

And to i_dont_know your definition of intelligence is flawed / biased towards humans. If humans were only 45% (or whatever) based off your way, pretty much every other animal would be far far below it due to the inherent amount of instinctual and behavioural thinking they have
Following your logic, I can assume that all other humans are robots just because I'm not a hundred percent sure they are the same as me because I'm not or never will be them.

I never claimed people are as smart as animals, but to go as far as saying animals don't feel emotions just because it can't be 100 percent proven, even if it can be observed, is just stupid.

i_don't_know
01-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Proven?

The definition isn't flawed, the statistics are. As I already said, there is no way of knowing for sure. I do rate humans relatively low yet above other species, though, and that's pretty much the point I was trying to get across.

adude113
01-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Following your logic, I can assume that all other humans are robots just because I'm not a hundred percent sure they are the same as me because I'm not or never will be them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
Yes, you can. haha

flipuk
01-06-2009, 09:38 AM

I never claimed people are as smart as animals, but to go as far as saying animals don't feel emotions just because it can't be 100 percent proven, even if it can be observed, is just stupid.

No you're not understanding. If you observe something it still requires explanation. For a start, emotions are most likely not seen in all animals and those that are can be explained by other means either way which is why there is any debate at all.

As for intelligence, I suspect with the rules of intelligence people are using here, I could make an argument saying a robot also has intelligence. IF something has intelligence, surely it should have responsibility, rationality and intentionality with its own actions (freedom of thought). Since there is evidence of robots being able to do things people deem intelligent of animals, it is pretty hard to argue that one can be intelligent without the other.

And no because they are of the same species. It could be argued you don't know for certain I guess, but you would ascribe the traits/characteristics to them either way. Not to mention the fact they have something animals do not. ITs called LANGUAGE. If I have a dream I can tell you, and you would understand exactly what I am referring to IF you have experienced it before. Animals however, cannot tell you. For someone to have a mind it can be argued they must know that htey have experienced (x). Language barriers deny us from knowing this. They do not speak a human language, we all do.

oh and philosophical zombies isn't much of an argument nowadays with regards to humans because behaviourism is generally too heavily criticised.