PDA

View Full Version : slash is pretty much one of the best guitarists ever

blunt fakie
11-12-2008, 11:25 AM
before you shout noob teg nugent is better or whatever i dont really care, if heard many guitarists in my time and id say slash is definately up there with jimi. just look at this video, slash playing a jimi song. while jimi no doubt had his spotlight, i do not see why slash should be left out of the guitar greats. is truely a great musician, and certainly has a place in my heart.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Mm3WPw2Xs&feature=related

DomPy
11-12-2008, 11:46 AM
i know hendrix was revolutionary and stuff, but i'm not a big fan of him at all
i do think slash's phrasing and sense of melody are amazing

KREAM
11-12-2008, 12:15 PM
slash is my fav. guitarist

reptiskate52
11-12-2008, 12:19 PM
Buckethead
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Rusty Cooley
Chris Boderick
Brendon Small
Gustav Guerro
John Pertrucci
Joe Satriani

Along with many others are all 1,000 times better.

Videon
11-12-2008, 02:19 PM
slash is great, but he's no randy rhoads.

CTskater94
11-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Buckethead
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Rusty Cooley
Chris Boderick
Brendon Small
Gustav Guerro
John Pertrucci
Joe Satriani

qft

jeff loomis, randy rhodes was on his way, dimebag was amazing

Nesta.
11-12-2008, 02:33 PM
My mom lived in the same town as slash, and axl rose it think. I know it was slash, but I can't remember if she said axl rose lived there too. Anyway they went to rival high schools, but still in the same town and I think they were freshmen when she was a junior, or something like that

DeadmanSkater
11-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Buckethead
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Rusty Cooley
Chris Boderick
Brendon Small
Gustav Guerro
John Pertrucci
Joe Satriani

They're definitely more technically advanced than Slash, but perhaps not as good musicians. Oh, and you forgot Michael Angelo Batio.

CTskater94
11-12-2008, 02:40 PM
They're definitely more technically advanced than Slash, but perhaps not as good musicians. Oh, and you forgot Michael Angelo Batio.

hahahahahaha. musicianship? chris broderick. 'nuff said. everyone on that list shreddssss

DeadmanSkater
11-12-2008, 02:43 PM
hahahahahaha. musicianship? chris broderick. 'nuff said. everyone on that list shreddssss

There's a difference between being good at an instrument and being good at writing music.

CTskater94
11-12-2008, 02:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0
better than anything slash has ever thought about writing

DeadmanSkater
11-12-2008, 02:48 PM

It's a fast, tapped arpeggio run. It's impressive, but would that appeal to someone that isn't a guitarist? Probably not.

reptiskate52
11-12-2008, 02:50 PM
It's a fast, tapped arpeggio run. It's impressive, but would that appeal to someone that isn't a guitarist? Probably not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xohcxxt6oHo

Sit down.

reptiskate52
11-12-2008, 02:52 PM
There's a difference between being good at an instrument and being good at writing music.
Listen to some Buckethead, or some Paul Gilbert, otr Eric Johnson or any of them. Buckethead alone has written single songs that are better than anything Slash has ever done. Musicwise and skillwise.

DeadmanSkater
11-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Sit down.

Guys, I've seen all of these videos, and I enjoy and am impressed by them, Chris Broderick is a really talented guitarist, I know.

Marevix
11-12-2008, 02:54 PM

The point you're arguing is pointless; as far as guitar skills are concerned, guitarists like Chris Broderick are more sophisticated and technically proficient. Slash may have had a greater melodic sense and wrote catchy music, but that doesn't make him more skilled at the application of his instrument.

DeadmanSkater
11-12-2008, 02:55 PM
The point you're arguing is pointless; as far as guitar skills are concerned, guitarists like Chris Broderick are more sophisticated and technically proficient. Slash may have had a greater melodic sense and wrote catchy music, but that doesn't make him more skilled at the application of his instrument.

That's the exact opposite of what I said. I said that the shredders were better guitarists and Slash had the better melody.

reptiskate52
11-12-2008, 02:57 PM
SMOOTH TONE AND LOTS OF BENDS FUCK YEAHa

DeadmanSkater
11-12-2008, 03:00 PM
smooth tone and lots of bends fuck yeaha

50 nps minor scales up and down on the neck fuck yeah!

CTskater94
11-12-2008, 03:00 PM

speed kills man, speed kills

BROBOT
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
but whenever you see jimi play, it looks like it's just an extention of his body or something. he's so fucking smooth with it.

the_unknown_soldier
11-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Scales, fuck yeah!

Videon
11-12-2008, 03:19 PM
fuck all that. Listen to everything Randy ever did. Not only was he EXTREMELY talented technically, but his sense of melody was above nearly everyone else at the time. The guy was really short and scrawny but pulled off things that would break my bones. I don't want to go into a detailed rant but listen to his stuff and you'll see that he was gifted in every single area possible.

the_unknown_soldier
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
fuck all that. Listen to everything Randy ever did. Not only was he EXTREMELY talented technically, but his sense of melody was above nearly everyone else at the time. The guy was really short and scrawny but pulled off things that would break my bones. I don't want to go into a detailed rant but listen to his stuff and you'll see that he was gifted in every single area possible.
Anybody who is talented in the field of classical guitar playing is great in my book. As for Randy combining those elements with heavy metal is on another level.

apmdcusa
11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
i know hendrix was revolutionary and stuff, but i'm not a big fan of him at all
i do think slash's phrasing and sense of melody are amazing

Same here.

Videon
11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
Anybody who is talented in the field of classical guitar playing is great in my book. As for Randy combining those elements with heavy metal is on another level.
Exactly. It just made for perfect music. I get chills every fucking time I listen to Blizzard or Diary. Man it's so fucking sad that he died.

the_unknown_soldier
11-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Exactly. It just made for perfect music. I get chills every fucking time I listen to Blizzard or Diary. Man it's so fucking sad that he died.
His work was flawless. It's ridiculous how talented he was for being so young. Even though he had plans to leave Ozzy's band, if he was still alive, imagine the music he would be writing.

Videon
11-12-2008, 04:21 PM
His work was flawless. It's ridiculous how talented he was for being so young. Even though he had plans to leave Ozzy's band, if he was still alive, imagine the music he would be writing.
Indeed, the fact that he wanted to leave and teach guitar, get a degree in something, that tells you something about him. He wasn't in it for the fame. There's no doubt in my mind that were he still alive, he would be widely accepted as a legend.

WhiteTrash
11-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I agree with you, slash fucking kills it.

wolfgang
11-12-2008, 05:51 PM
It was a great piece of guitar work, I think Slash's place as a legend is pretty safe.

But if you want to argue that Slash is better than Hendrix then you have to post something Slash actually wrote himself, not a cover. I don't really care how they match up in technical ability, but how the music they created compares. Has Slash written anything as brilliant as the Machine Gun arrangement or the opening wah wah riff to Voodoo Child (Slight Return)?

Buckethead is a close second for me, and I've only just started to delve into his discography.

jpharaoh69
11-12-2008, 06:10 PM
technical ability: almost non existent
feel: pretty damn good

either way, im not a big fan.

NotoriousBigBird
11-12-2008, 06:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHC9bxQkLCQ

LEGEND

blunt fakie
11-13-2008, 06:31 AM
Buckethead
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Rusty Cooley
Chris Boderick
Brendon Small
Gustav Guerro
John Pertrucci
Joe Satriani

oh yeah they can all shred and probably play shit a lot faster than slash but then things start to get all metalesque which pretty much makes their talent redundant.

i mean yeah theyre really good at playing metal but... who the fuck cares? its fucking metal no one who's cool listens to that shit or has anything to do with it.

Ynot
11-13-2008, 07:01 AM
"you can't play an instrument just for the technicality of it. it's a tool to get what's here and here (points to head and heart) out there"

that's a statement from Marten Hagstrom, guitarist of Meshuggah. yeah i know, he's not a great guitarist either, but that statement does resonate with what i'm saying. Slash might not be as technically proficient as say, Vai or Gilbert, but what's technicality if there's no feeling in it? not saying that guys like Vai or Gilbert don't put feeling into their work, just that being technical isn't the end all be all of everything.

EnjoiRider25
11-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Slash has some talent, yeah. But like it is said in the many posts before mine, there are many better guitarists out there still.

Videon
11-13-2008, 07:11 AM
oh yeah they can all shred and probably play shit a lot faster than slash but then things start to get all metalesque which pretty much makes their talent redundant.

i mean yeah theyre really good at playing metal but... who the fuck cares? its fucking metal no one who's cool listens to that shit or has anything to do with it.
And here I was thinking you were smart. Metal has some of the best guitarists in the world and is prolly the most popular music worldwide with the exception of rap.
And have you ever even heard Eric Johnson?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nAwmVLQSk
Listen to the whole thing. NOT metal.

Ynot
11-13-2008, 07:41 AM
And here I was thinking you were smart. Metal has some of the best guitarists in the world and is prolly the most popular music worldwide with the exception of rap.
And have you ever even heard Eric Johnson?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nAwmVLQSk
Listen to the whole thing. NOT metal.
Eric Johnson is the shit

Tony
11-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Guys let's not forget Comfortably Numb has always been high in all the "Greatest solo" contests, and it's not too fast, it's just awesome.

On the side note, Gustavo Guerra's smile is fucking annoying and I like Guthrie Govan.

Marevix
11-13-2008, 08:17 AM

How can you be so ignorant? Some of the most inspired, intricate pieces of music I've ever heard were written by heavy metal musicians. Emotive power isn't limited by speed and aggression.

reptiskate52
11-13-2008, 11:57 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSchoITeht0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55nAwmVLQSk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IrWyZ0KZuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkeXE6FOf6s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7VTwGBLdA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5t_b9xOY-I

I can post videos all day, point is you're a fool.

bandikid
11-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Yea guys I listen to guitarists who are 10000x better than every one in this thread combined. I could post a video, but I'm not going to.

readmyname
11-13-2008, 01:33 PM

Sounds like something some middle school girl would say.

andsd91
11-13-2008, 01:37 PM
i have mad respect for slash for being a VERY talented musician. but as a player, i wouldn't say he's the best. i can play most of his stuff and i have to say its so easy compared to classical guitar. btw classical guitar rocks(well um... not really but yeah). if you want check out mah skillz!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CujvJa5Gqek

bubbleboy
11-13-2008, 01:41 PM

i mean yeah there really good at playing metal but... who the fuck cares? its fucking metal no one who's cool listens to that shit or has anything to do with it.
are you kidding?

a few things

one, to the OP, while I am not one for Slash bashing, I think he is incredibly overated.

I am not saying he isnt a good guitarist, he is, AND, I do acknowledge the fact that he is melodic and creates good songs, but I really never get really into his solos.

Now to the kid I quoted, and anyone else under the impression that the people reptiskate posted are just shredders and all they care about is speed and metal. You. are. wrong.

These guitarist, while fast, are also just as melodic and can create music that is just as good, I may not know some of the people in the list, but out of the ones I do, you can find both metal AND classical/blues/jazz (and in the case of Paul Gilbert, Flamenco) pieces on youtube or those influences in music itself. I feel like too many people know him because of guitar hero and all the other publicity shit he has gotten.

Personally, I would choose even the most basic Gilmour solo over any of Slash's anyday. If you want to compare soulful playing and amazing craftsmanship, look at Gilmour.

enjoi the panda
11-13-2008, 07:52 PM
My mom lived in the same town as slash, and axl rose it think. I know it was slash, but I can't remember if she said axl rose lived there too. Anyway they went to rival high schools, but still in the same town and I think they were freshmen when she was a junior, or something like that

los angeles?

oh and its not like slash is at all underrated... hes has a whole fuckin video game based on him..

if anything hes extremely overrated. really good none the less but its not like your doing some great service to him by pointing out his talent. everyone who knows what music is knows him

Videon
11-13-2008, 08:47 PM
are you kidding?

a few things

one, to the OP, while I am not one for Slash bashing, I think he is incredibly overated.

I am not saying he isnt a good guitarist, he is, AND, I do acknowledge the fact that he is melodic and creates good songs, but I really never get really into his solos.

Now to the kid I quoted, and anyone else under the impression that the people reptiskate posted are just shredders and all they care about is speed and metal. You. are. wrong.

These guitarist, while fast, are also just as melodic and can create music that is just as good, I may not know some of the people in the list, but out of the ones I do, you can find both metal AND classical/blues/jazz (and in the case of Paul Gilbert, Flamenco) pieces on youtube or those influences in music itself.
For example, take any heavy metal band or hard rock band. then have them make a ballad. that ballad is gonna be unquestionably better than those who specialize in slow soft songs.

Metlhead443
11-13-2008, 09:25 PM

because being cool is all that matters in life

Tony
11-14-2008, 04:34 AM
Yea guys I listen to guitarists who are 10000x better than every one in this thread combined. I could post a video, but I'm not going to.

Yeah like you know shit about guitar. Look Slash is what you call an attitude guitarist, he's worshipped for all the attitude he puts in his music, but he isn't really anything compared to the technicality compressed with feeling you hear these days. There's no use in arguing about opinions, but don't claim your opinions as facts, if they really aren't.

And some of you guys, if you're really so keen on guitar, why don't you ever post to the Guitar Club? I got shitloads of invitation requests and no one bothers to even post once.

EDIT:

For example, take any heavy metal band or hard rock band. then have them make a ballad. that ballad is gonna be unquestionably better than those who specialize in slow soft songs.

That's not necessarily the case you know.

5deckollie
11-14-2008, 05:09 AM

more technical, yes better than slash. but to say better, no.

There are many guitarists who don't do tapped arpeggio runs and their still a great guitarists. its because it doesn't fit their genre of music. the point here is technical doesn't mean good.

andsd91
11-14-2008, 05:31 AM
^i have to agree with you man, although it proves insane technique and everything, i, personally, don't see the point in playing scales and arpeggios at mind blowing speeds.

bubbleboy
11-14-2008, 05:59 AM
Yeah like you know shit about guitar. Look Slash is what you call an attitude guitarist, he's worshipped for all the attitude he puts in his music, but he isn't really anything compared to the technicality compressed with feeling you hear these days. There's no use in arguing about opinions, but don't claim your opinions as facts, if they really aren't.

And some of you guys, if you're really so keen on guitar, why don't you ever post to the Guitar Club? I got shitloads of invitation requests and no one bothers to even post once.

EDIT:

That's not necessarily the case you know.
I DO TONY!

a

Gibson_SG
11-14-2008, 06:04 AM
Buckethead
Eric Johnson
Steve Vai
Paul Gilbert
Rusty Cooley
Chris Boderick
Brendon Small
Gustav Guerro
John Pertrucci
Joe Satriani

rusty cooley? are you kidding me? hes all speed

slash is great, but he's no randy rhoads.

randy was the best ever. i dont care what people say, hes the best.

They're definitely more technically advanced than Slash, but perhaps not as good musicians.

QFT

ive seen him live, hes even better in person. and i think hes recording a new album with megadeth, so it will be interesting to see how that album turns out

QFT

song writing skills is better then technical abilities.

Ynot
11-14-2008, 06:16 AM
song writing skills is better then technical abilities.
definately QFT

Tony
11-14-2008, 06:18 AM
I DO TONY!

a

Yeah you're like the only one, we've been talking there on our own lol

And if people here actually start to talk about technically capable guitarists, I can't believe Michael Romeo hasn't been mentioned. He makes awesome melodies while he's one of the fastest and cleanest players. He's pretty much stuck with diminished scale though, haven't heard much happy and expressive major melodies. There are guitar players posting in this topic fucking share my frustration, the guy can't really teach guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuOXqsQo0ko

When he gets at it he's like "well here's something you can do" *plays a lick at 300bpm diminished sweep tapping plus alternate picking without explaining it* "that's a cool thing to do*.

Fuck like he's teaching a herd of Rusty Cooleys.

bubbleboy
11-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Yeah you're like the only one, we've been talking there on our own lol

And if people here actually start to talk about technically capable guitarists, I can't believe Michael Romeo hasn't been mentioned. He makes awesome melodies while he's one of the fastest and cleanest players. He's pretty much stuck with diminished scale though, haven't heard much happy and expressive major melodies. There are guitar players posting in this topic fucking share my frustration, the guy can't really teach guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuOXqsQo0ko

When he gets at it he's like "well here's something you can do" *plays a lick at 300bpm diminished sweep tapping plus alternate picking without explaining it* "that's a cool thing to do*.

Fuck like he's teaching a herd of Rusty Cooleys.
I still can't believe that the OP feels he is one of the best

Seriously, other than the kids who like pink floyd to be cool and fit in and wear their dark side tees, no one respects gilmour enough. There are solos he did back in the 60's and 70's that blow my mind, yet nobody knows them (when I say nobody, I mean the average standard kid, I know some of you guys know about gilmour)

Seriously

Comfortably Numb, rated one of the best guitar solos of all time.

Does Slash have a CN? Don't think so.

Tony
11-14-2008, 06:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5VwPfyEq3w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiR6GKJcGcs

Does Slash improvise like this?

usuckhugeonez
11-14-2008, 08:55 AM
fuck all that. Listen to everything randy ever did. Not only was he extremely talented technically, but his sense of melody was above nearly everyone else at the time. The guy was really short and scrawny but pulled off things that would break my bones. I don't want to go into a detailed rant but listen to his stuff and you'll see that he was gifted in every single area possible.qft.

bubbleboy
11-14-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm tired of everyone in here saying that the people that play speed and fast aren't melodic and don't have song writing abilities.

They do, but to say that slash has better solo writings than most all other guitarists, is an incredibly dumb statement.

Tony
11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Slash is da best who need Vai or JP lol.

baker_skater
11-14-2008, 02:16 PM
I still can't believe that the OP feels he is one of the best

Seriously, other than the kids who like pink floyd to be cool and fit in and wear their dark side tees, no one respects gilmour enough. There are solos he did back in the 60's and 70's that blow my mind, yet nobody knows them (when I say nobody, I mean the average standard kid, I know some of you guys know about gilmour)

Seriously

Comfortably Numb, rated one of the best guitar solos of all time.

Does Slash have a CN? Don't think so.

Gilmours solos put me in like a trance.

bubbleboy
11-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Gilmours solos put me in like a trance.
My point exactly

Slash's solos do not make me feel a certain way, whereas Gilmour's moves me.

EL_Suicide_Machine
11-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Slash is good, but hes also kind of a commercial guitarist, people who don't even listen to rock or like his playing know him.

crooked09
11-16-2008, 09:29 AM

That's not even a solo or part of a song, its a fucking practice pattern. Listen to what he says, its a three chord progression that he just taps around on. How is that a great example of writing? (not saying that he couldn't write but that isn't an example of it)

Also, not saying that I agree with Slash being the best, but you can't argue who makes better music, its completely subjective.

What the fuck is this supposed to mean?