PDA

View Full Version : Probably getting a guitar for Christmas

sk8board15
10-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Katrina pwnt my other guitar I was just learning to play and I've been wanting another one for a while. What would be the cheapest decent electric starter kit to buy?

It doesn't have to be great but good enough to enjoy playing.

Would a starter kit like from Walmart be okay to start on?

strapingyunglad
10-11-2008, 02:26 PM
i got a sweeeeet blue ibanez RG series with blck equipment, whammie bare, and pickups for like $160 at a pawn shop and they had some fenders for like $100. Allways check the pawn shops for good deals...

bubbleboy
10-11-2008, 05:07 PM
For starting?

I don't know if anyone else shares my opinion on here, but personally, knowing from the situation, I would have much rather to have learned on an acoustic than an electric. Don't get my wrong, I love playing my electric, but personally, if I had to choose only one type of guitar to have, it would be an acoustic. If you learn to play well on those, it can carry over into electric playing. Finger picking is a helluva lot easier on an acoustic than an electric. That's just how I feel though.

i cheat at golf
10-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Get this one:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/Guitar-hero-controller.jpg/271px-Guitar-hero-controller.jpg

It was my first guitar, and I shred it

davmino
10-11-2008, 05:17 PM
get an epiphone sg pack

Metlhead443
10-11-2008, 05:19 PM
no, dont go with the walmart guitar. as much as i hate ibanez, go with one of their starter kits, its the best value for your money

sk8board15
10-11-2008, 05:26 PM
no, dont go with the walmart guitar. as much as i hate ibanez, go with one of their starter kits, its the best value for your money

Yeah I've been told to get the Ibanez kit from somebody else. I think I'll get it.

I've also been told that acoustic guitars are harder to learn on, and that I should get an electric. But idk.

DeadmanSkater
10-11-2008, 05:28 PM
I've also been told that acoustic guitars are harder to learn on, and that I should get an electric. But idk.

That's very much true. Acoustic stings are higher gauge (thicker), therefore harder to fret. Plus the big body makes it harder to play.

Metlhead443
10-11-2008, 05:39 PM
but learning on acoustic really helps in the long run, or it did for me at least

Ynot
10-11-2008, 05:57 PM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't go to walmart for your first guitar. go to a music store cause they obviously have better quality. plus you can ask the guys some of your questions, cause that's their expertise.

bubbleboy
10-11-2008, 06:33 PM
but learning on acoustic really helps in the long run, or it did for me at least
thats why I said to buy an acoustic

you fingers will get stronger faster, your bends on an electric will come easier after learning to bend on an acoustic.

besides

acoustics are badass

eberg15101
10-11-2008, 07:02 PM
thats why I said to buy an acoustic

you fingers will get stronger faster, your bends on an electric will come easier after learning to bend on an acoustic.

besides

acoustics are badass

i cant even bend on my acoustic lol, all that happens is it comes out of tune, so i just slide for acoustic, i dono, different things for different people thoe

i started with an electric and i think it helped me more cus its easier to learn on, and you can just use what you learn later, the only bummer is ytou cant really learn fingerpicking too well on electric

i gues try out screwin around on an acoustic, then try screwin with an electric and wichever one you think is more fun to play, thats what its all bout

bubbleboy
10-11-2008, 07:04 PM
i have never made a bend on an acoustic and made it go out of tune

that is interesting

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-11-2008, 07:40 PM
If your heart is telling you to get an electric, than get an electric.
I almost quit playing guitar because all I wanted was an electric and I was stuck with an acoustic for like 7 months.

Your fingers aren't as strong when you learn on an electric, but I think its easier. And if you wanna pick up an acoustic later on, atleast you'll already know how to play it.

eberg15101
10-11-2008, 08:18 PM
i have never made a bend on an acoustic and made it go out of tune

that is interesting

well, i honestly just dont have an acoustic that is like meant really for bending, it can be maybe a quarter bend, but no more i use medium gauge bronze strings on it i donno if thats it , but its just not meant to be bent haha

sk8board15
10-11-2008, 08:31 PM
If your heart is telling you to get an electric, than get an electric.
I almost quit playing guitar because all I wanted was an electric and I was stuck with an acoustic for like 7 months.

Your fingers aren't as strong when you learn on an electric, but I think its easier. And if you wanna pick up an acoustic later on, atleast you'll already know how to play it.

I've seen people play both and acoustic looks hard to play, I think I'm going to start on an electric because of the size. I've held both kinds and the electric just felt more comfortable.

Edit: Can someone explain why not to get a First Act guitar kit from Walmart? Because my mom is getting it and I really don't want her to spend so much money.

graffeedy5
10-11-2008, 08:52 PM
For starting?

I don't know if anyone else shares my opinion on here, but personally, knowing from the situation, I would have much rather to have learned on an acoustic than an electric. Don't get my wrong, I love playing my electric, but personally, if I had to choose only one type of guitar to have, it would be an acoustic. If you learn to play well on those, it can carry over into electric playing. Finger picking is a helluva lot easier on an acoustic than an electric. That's just how I feel though.

yeah, its much better to learn on an acoustic, and i completely agree with this guy. If i had to choose between only an acoustic and an electric i would pick the acoustic. Its better for your fingers cause the strings are harder to press down so you build up calouses faster, and you fingers get stronger and faster so when you switch to electric its alot easier
i recommend some of the yamaha entry level acoustics, they are all under 250 and have good playability and tone for the price
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/compare?base_pid=512943&base_pid=513386&base_pid=518509

crooked09
10-12-2008, 06:10 PM
Regarding acoustic vs electric: Base this solely on what music you'll be playing. Don't get an acoustic because you think it will help you learn technique, get it if you think you'll be playing that type of music more. But if you want to play metal or other music that uses distortion and effects, get an electric and you'll still learn technique fine (really, you will... it's not like you're at a disadvantage, you learn what you need to) plus you'll be playing what you want...

If you plan on taking it seriously it would be a good idea just to get a more expensive decent guitar, because I guarantee you'll just want to replace a crappy one you get now within a year if you stick with it. But if you are getting a cheap one, you're still better off getting a starter one from a name brand than from Wal Mart. This is because quality of guitar affects playability of notes (especially high on the neck where most frets will be dead on a cheap guitar), note sustain, and quality of sound and tone - in short, everything.

strapingyunglad
10-13-2008, 10:04 AM
In my opinion the amp and the guitarist makes the diferance. Ive played 30 year old electrics and i shreded it up. The amp is realy what makes the sound and how good you play. Just hit up some pawn shops and you can get an EXTREMLY great deal on both.

"quote-as much as i hate ibanez,-"end quote" ......why? The necks are so thin its real easy to hit up a super fast solo.