PDA

View Full Version : Bar chords.

i_don't_know
09-28-2008, 03:07 PM
No matter how hard I push down, I just can't get all the strings pressed down. There are always some "weak spots" in my finger that make it so a couple of strings don't get pressed down all the way. Help?

apmdcusa
09-28-2008, 03:09 PM
Try putting your hand down in angle and closer to the fret bar.

Videon
09-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I've had a lot of trouble with bar chords. My dad doesn't though and I've come to the conclusion that playing for 35 years has increased muscle in his fingers.
Try building some muscle to fill in the fat spots in between joints.
Over time it'll start becoming easier.
That's really all that's been helping me.

emericaxskater
09-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I've had a lot of trouble with bar chords. My dad doesn't though and I've come to the conclusion that playing for 35 years has increased muscle in his fingers.
Try building some muscle to fill in the fat spots in between joints.
Over time it'll start becoming easier.
That's really all that's been helping me.

There are no muscles in your hand at all, just tendons or ligaments, don't remember which, and bones. All the muscles that control your hand are in your forearm.

Videon
09-28-2008, 03:16 PM
There are no muscles in your hand at all, just tendons or ligaments, don't remember which, and bones. All the muscles that control your hand are in your forearm.
Fuck you're right.
I guess it's just time and practice.

sobrien
09-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Complete noob statement: Bar chords are chords like F, right? Aren't you supposed to wrap your thumb over the neck and play it that way?

reptiskate52
09-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Complete noob statement: Bar chords are chords like F, right? Aren't you supposed to wrap your thumb over the neck and play it that way?
You can, but it's not really how you're supposed to play them. It's when you lay your index finger across all of the frets.

Anyway, I found Barre chords damn near impossible for my first full year of playing. Just practice.

i_don't_know
09-28-2008, 03:42 PM
you can do that, but its not really considered proper technique.

just work on it. keep your index finger close to the fret, and dont press straight down, sort of roll it off to the side so You're using the bones to fret

i dont know if I explained that well

You did, and that's what I'm doing. I have bony fingers, so it's like O=O=o and it's hard to get all the strings.

eberg15101
09-28-2008, 06:00 PM
just gotta practice it in steps

first just bar your index accross all the strings
then put your other fingers on and just hold it there till it starts to hurt your arm pretty bad(make sure your hand is straight it will make them easier and sound better once you get them down) then after your arm starts to burn a little slide it up and down then neck then redo that for a while

then once you have it just take it slow at first by barring then putting fingers on

Monkeyskater
09-28-2008, 06:34 PM
just practice barring the whole fret with your finger.
the first time i got one to sound perfect, i actually had to lay my finger on the fret bar.

i_don't_know
09-28-2008, 06:45 PM
I should snap a pic of how I'm doing it. Someone remind me at about 3 or 4 o'clock tomorrow.

Monkeyskater
09-28-2008, 07:02 PM
do it now, smelly