PDA

View Full Version : songwriters help

deathbat411
09-23-2008, 06:38 PM
what methods do you guys use to overcome songwriters block, like if your stuck in a rut and cant come up with anything original or descent

(Valo Falcone)
09-23-2008, 06:42 PM
I just play the part I have down and then just start playing around on the neck untill I get something that works.

Captain America
09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Ive been experiencing this lately, i just keep playing and comming up with small chord changes and if I like it I record it and see if it develops. Just sit down and play, but dont think about what you are playing let your mind wander.

PezThePenguin!
09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I havnt been able to write lyrics lately, I will get a little but put together then I just cant finnish it so thats been driving me crazy, and as far as writing guitar goes im doing ok but just cant finnish or when I do I feel its not good enough but I guess just free your mind and just be very open to ideas, that always hepled me.

eberg15101
09-23-2008, 09:37 PM
completely clear your mind like,

meditate
if your into it smoke weed, or different psychadelics, or if your tryint o write a metal song, i hear if you do a lot of speed and stay up for a couple days it will make you write fast songs if your mind is clear

but just make your mind completely clear , or just take the day off from guitar and just listen to music and dont think about writeing at all

EnjoiRider25
09-24-2008, 08:03 AM
I just stop trying to think of anything, do some free writing, and listen to music. Normally, then something flows out.

Turboz
09-24-2008, 08:44 AM
get some inspiration. Me, stuff just naturally comes out.

Tony
09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
It's called lack of inspiration. Forcing inspiration is always bad. Just try to relax and take a very small idea of something without making it forced, then slowly start to build up from there.

Gunot
09-24-2008, 01:58 PM
get some inspiration. Me, stuff just naturally comes out.

yup + i don't force anything

elementality-boardz
09-25-2008, 11:54 AM
When i write a song, i write from personal experiance, think about something that has happened in the past (could be waaaaaayyyyy back in the past,noones gonna know) and base your song about that. You should find that it will just come.

Paganboy
09-26-2008, 07:53 PM
drugs, alcohol, possibly violence, or a trip to the beach.

remuse
09-28-2008, 09:14 PM
talk to people who seem to bring you down. or learn new scales or modes and practice those. also try playing another instrument i created almost every single guitar intro my band has ever have had. and i play bass

CLuelessJoe
10-02-2008, 03:35 PM
i just play around and then something usually comes to me

Turboz
10-03-2008, 11:14 AM
ok this is going to sound crazy, but you should try it. Just get FL Studio, or some sort of program like that, and make your songs on there, then try playing it guitar.

PezThePenguin!
10-03-2008, 12:22 PM
ok this is going to sound crazy, but you should try it. Just get FL Studio, or some sort of program like that, and make your songs on there, then try playing it guitar.

Is FL Fruity loops? Im going to download that demo again later today.

Marevix
10-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Sometimes I improvise and take sections from what I come up with to use in my compositions. If I'm inspired by anything in my life, I try to think how I'd express that thought or concept in the atmosphere of the music. I find that most mind-altering drugs are useful for this.

BROBOT
10-03-2008, 07:14 PM
lyrically, i just write stuff down in this notebook i have at school whenever i think of it, and then eventually piece it together.

otherwise i just play around with it until i get a progression i like or play up and down some modes and scales until i see where i wanna start with it, and then map it out from there.

i_don't_know
10-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Just fuck around, and don't think. By doing this, you naturally let your creativity flow.

crooked09
10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Try not to overthink it. Try to finish what you start as soon as possible. If I start a song and spend a few days on it, I can't think of something that goes with it and/or I second guess things I already decided.

Try to create the song as a whole not in parts... I've run into a lot of trouble with this, I create what I think is a great intro and driving riff but then I don't know where to go from there. Start with at least a basic idea of the entire song structure.

But really if you can't think of anything just take a break. You can't force it out. If its guitar songwriting, just don't play for a day or two then try again. If it's lyrical content, just wait til you think or observe or read something that inspires you.

timorousme
10-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Steal from The Beatles. Don't worry, everybody does it.

Turboz
10-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Is FL Fruity loops? Im going to download that demo again later today.yeah.

Sometimes I improvise and take sections from what I come up with to use in my compositions. If I'm inspired by anything in my life, I try to think how I'd express that thought or concept in the atmosphere of the music. I find that most mind-altering drugs are useful for this.yes.

Marevix
10-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Try not to overthink it. Try to finish what you start as soon as possible. If I start a song and spend a few days on it, I can't think of something that goes with it and/or I second guess things I already decided.

I would disagree; myself, I tend to rework my songs over a long period of time as that allows me to lose the "just-wrote-it" perspective and see the strengths or weaknesses more clearly. There's many older demos I have of songs where I ended up changing or removing sections later on. In my opinion, the extra time and attention polishes the end result.