PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a new bass?

Kumquat
09-21-2008, 06:35 PM
All right, I'm needing a new bass guitar. I've been playing on my Ibanez Soundgear for about a year or so now, and it was my first bass. Now that I'm a lot better then what I was, I'm looking for a new one. I'm looking for something with a kind of dark tone to it because I play a lot of metal, but I want it also to be kinda light toned too, so I'm not stuck to just that. I also want it to be able to hammer on and pull off well, but my Ibanez doesn't let me. I've been looking at a couple basses online, and I will be checking them out soon.

Dean Z Vintage (http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Z-Vintage-Bass?sku=519850)

Squier Mike Dirnt Precision (http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Mike-Dirnt-P-Bass?sku=513882)

I picked the Mike Dirnt P because I've always been a Green Day fan of sorts, and I love the way their bass sounds. I picked the Dean because it seems like I could play some good music on there without weight being an issue, and it seems dark. They both, IMO, have kickass bodies.

So, has anyone had any experience with either of these? Or maybe you can recommend me a new one? My budget is at $300.

I.Skate.Mongo
09-21-2008, 06:37 PM
If you're looking for metal, I'd probably say stick to Ibanez, just getting a new/better one

My first bass was also Ibanez

you might wanna look at some Warwick's as well

Kumquat
09-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Warwicks are fucking expensive. Frankly, I'm getting tired of Ibanez. I want something that will let me play about anything rockish to funkish to metalish

Century Child
09-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Stick with Ibanez get a 5 string Ibanez BTB series like Terry Butler of Six Feet Under plays or did play on Bringer of Blood. I would also say the Ibanez Robin Graves played in Her Ghost in the Fog but thats over a grand.

Really you can buy better pick ups and have them put in your bass thats pretty much the only thing different in basses. With a pair of nice EMG pick ups the sound will be a lot thicker, cleaner, and rich.

Oh well for $300 your choice is pretty limited but anything but a Squier.

PezThePenguin!
09-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I would stick with Ibanez.

Skater_goth
09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
If he doesn't like Ibanez....
Yeah and dude don't get either of the basses you linked to they are pure shit.
And if you don't want to get another Ibanez then don't, but before that least go down to the music shop and have a muck around on a more expensive Ibanez bass, just because you had one bad experience doesn't mean to shun the entire company, especially Ibanez.
Plus you said you want it to hammer on and pull off well, you can set any bass to be able to do that man, it's called adjusting the saddle, though you shouldn't touch it, bring it into a shop.

CLuelessJoe
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
any kind of fender bass (squier, precision, jazz etc.)

remuse
10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
if you can fork over an extra 50 bucks than i will suggest the schecter omen. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Schecter-Omen-4-4-String-Bass-Guitar-513122-i1148009.gc
its amazing bass for the price. also you might want to go try some out by ocean. they make nice basses and both basses provide a variety of tone on the lower end.

reptiskate52
10-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Save up and get a P-Bass.

jpharaoh69
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
dont buy a 300$ bass as your second. its hardly a step up. wait until you can afford some 400+ stuff.

i_don't_know
10-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Save up for a Schecter Stiletto Elite.

remuse
10-02-2008, 05:32 PM
dont buy a 300$ bass as your second. its hardly a step up. wait until you can afford some 400+ stuff.

i was suggesting just in case he was having gigs and stuff or needs a bass like that.

Kumquat
10-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm not gonna lie, that beast looks sexy, remuse.

I'd just like something that I could play at gigs and shit, and be able to play a variety of styles from funk to rock.