PDA

View Full Version : Drummers Thread

gorgoroth
09-12-2008, 09:29 AM
I havent heard of many drummers on here except blackgoat really so i was wondering if anyone played? Also, could we make this a drummers thread because it would keep it altogther and tidier :)

So, does anyone here play the drums first off? :)

zooyork15
09-12-2008, 10:34 AM
i play
i've been playing for 6 years

Videon
09-12-2008, 11:13 AM
I just picked it up after a few years off.
I got this sexy kit hurr.http://www.drumkitsdirect.co.uk/images/YamahaDTXpress4.jpg

gorgoroth
09-12-2008, 11:48 AM
i play
i've been playing for 6 years

nice, what music do you jam too??

And thats a great elec kit, i used to own an electric kit, a Roland TD3-KW and it was great but i upgraded last month :)

INeedHelp
09-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Ive Been playing for like 4 or 5 years

cornh0lio
09-12-2008, 12:31 PM
4 years. Snare on my line, and I fuck around on my buddies set.

Videon
09-12-2008, 02:03 PM
That Roland kit seems to be pretty popular.
I came in knowing nothing about e sets and the Yamaha seemed reliable.
I'll upgrade to a real set someday but as of now my house is too small.

new_skater99
09-12-2008, 02:09 PM
i do...

i have two kits:

one is a 5 piece pearl, remo heads, double bass pedal, zildjian hi hat, 2 crashes, ride, china, and splash

the other is a 9 piece sonor w/ 2 bass drums, effect snare, 3 rack toms and 2 floor toms (it was my brother's but he gave it to me) zildjian cymbals (hi hat, zbt mini hats w/ remote, ride, 3 crashes, 2 chinas, 1 splash. evans heads (which i prefer over remo)

i use vic firth sticks. always.

been playing like 5 years. mostly snare, but i'll play anything really. on kit i play whatever, not too much jazz but i'm starting to get more into that. oh and i hate hate hate metal. but i love everything else.

Videon
09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
i do...

i have two kits:

one is a 5 piece pearl, remo heads, double bass pedal, zildjian hi hat, 2 crashes, ride, china, and splash

the other is a 9 piece sonor w/ 2 bass drums, effect snare, 3 rack toms and 2 floor toms (it was my brother's but he gave it to me) zildjian cymbals (hi hat, zbt mini hats w/ remote, ride, 3 crashes, 2 chinas, 1 splash. evans heads (which i prefer over remo)

i use vic firth sticks. always.

been playing like 5 years. mostly snare, but i'll play anything really. on kit i play whatever, not too much jazz but i'm starting to get more into that. oh and i hate hate hate metal. but i love everything else.
http://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Arnold%20STFU.jpg

really dood?

new_skater99
09-12-2008, 02:33 PM
really dood?

well, i'll explain a little better. I don't mind the instrumental parts, but I can't stand vocals. A lot of metal drummers just play fast; I know there are good metal drummers out there, but a lot of amateurs just think that playing fast means that they are awesome, which isn't true at all. I definitely prefer funk or jazz, cause if you look at all the intricate stuff jazz drummers do... it's just fucking amazing, and metal drummers just don't have that.

skatingisfun
09-12-2008, 06:59 PM
I'm buying a drum set from my friend tomorrow.

Videon
09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
well, i'll explain a little better. I don't mind the instrumental parts, but I can't stand vocals. A lot of metal drummers just play fast; I know there are good metal drummers out there, but a lot of amateurs just think that playing fast means that they are awesome, which isn't true at all. I definitely prefer funk or jazz, cause if you look at all the intricate stuff jazz drummers do... it's just fucking amazing, and metal drummers just don't have that.
I'll agree with you to a degree.
A lot of kids look up to Joey Jordison and see how fast he is and figure that's what drumming is about.
Now I'm not dissing Jordison, he has a great style and comes up with some kickass beats, but people like neil peart and a few other rockers are the best drummers out there imo.
I definitely wanna learn some funk or jazz, there's some really catchy drumming there.

DVS_skater1
09-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes, I play drums. I started playing 4th grade, but I got good in 6th. And I can read music

love skate
09-12-2008, 07:11 PM
yup i play. started in 5th and im in 8th. i got a crappy ion electronic set and a yamaha tour custom set. sabian aax hi-hats, zildjian a custom crash, zildjian k custom hybrid ride (i use it as a crash too) and some other stuff.

Hagen
09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
I wanna learn to play drums, but i don't got the cash for a kit.

love skate
09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
^

u don't need a kit yet. just get a snare and practice some rudiments

dutber
09-13-2008, 12:59 AM
my sister bought some drums in may, so ive been messing around on her kit since then.

Jakallica
09-13-2008, 01:54 AM
I have a 5 piece sonor kit, double kicks, 17" aax China, 18" Zildjian Crash, 20" b8 Ride.
Been playing for about 2 years..I gig regulary with loads of bands.
I mainly play metal and play by ear.

riskitforabiscuit
09-13-2008, 02:13 AM
I just picked it up after a few years off.
I got this sexy kit hurr.http://www.drumkitsdirect.co.uk/images/YamahaDTXpress4.jpg
Are most electronic drum kits able to be switched for a left handed player? Like reassigning the sounds each pad makes, etc?

Videon
09-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Are most electronic drum kits able to be switched for a left handed player? Like reassigning the sounds each pad makes, etc?
I could make that high hat sound like a cow taking a shit if i wanted to.
But on a more serious note, in the brain box you can change what each pad does, but you can also just switch witch cords go into which pad.
So yes.

new_skater99
09-13-2008, 02:47 AM
I'll agree with you to a degree.
A lot of kids look up to Joey Jordison and see how fast he is and figure that's what drumming is about.
Now I'm not dissing Jordison, he has a great style and comes up with some kickass beats, but people like neil peart and a few other rockers are the best drummers out there imo.
I definitely wanna learn some funk or jazz, there's some really catchy drumming there.

Peart is awesome.

Yes, I play drums. I started playing 4th grade, but I got good in 6th. And I can read music

Dude, not to sound arrogant or anything, but I'm fucking awesome at reading music. I'm pretty good with reading stuff for kit, although it takes me a while to get it all down. I'm a fucking beast at reading shit for snare though. Like I can just sight read stuff. Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm better at reading music then letters haha.

u don't need a kit yet. just get a snare and practice some rudiments

This is true. It's harder to play by ear first, and then learn to read music. If you can, get lessons right off the bat. This will help avoid getting into bad habits, and it's just sooooo much easier to read music when you're first starting out. I cannot stress this enough. Knowing how to read is such a useful skill for any instrument. Even if you don't plan to go very far to the point where you would need to read music, it's still good to learn so you can buy books and practice and stuff. Playing by ear can make you good, but at the same time it'll only get you so far.

gorgoroth
09-13-2008, 05:27 AM

I agree with you to a certain extent. I play all different types of music, i play to jazz and funk a lot. Its probably my main one. When playing metal i try to do some technicle things instead of straight forward blasts etc...

I think that jazz drums have amazing skills and techniques, but i also think that a lot of metal drummers are great aswell. If you look at people such as George Kollias, yeah he just plays fast all the time, but he does add quite a few nice technicle things in as you would see in his DVD. Also metal drummers have to have a lot of stamina too and i think that a lot of them are talented. But yeah, if you practise enough you could get as good.

gorgoroth
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
aww this died quickly lol

pinkeh
09-15-2008, 11:59 AM
been playing for 4

months

FUCK YEAH!

JustinMean
09-15-2008, 12:28 PM
I have a few drums sets. I'll post pics later tonight =)

BROBOT
09-15-2008, 12:31 PM
i've been playing for like 4 years or so.

i'm probably not as awesome as i should be, but a lot of my musical effort goes toward guitar and piano. but i'm pretty good i guess.

i really wanna be a drummer for a jazz group.

Videon
09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
i've been playing for like 4 years or so.

i'm probably not as awesome as i should be, but a lot of my musical effort goes toward guitar and piano. but i'm pretty good i guess.

i really wanna be a drummer for a jazz group.
Yea, I'm learning guitar along with drumming so I'm not as far along on either as I would be if I learned one exclusively.

And I'm teaching myself how to drum. Dad helps with guitar though.

love skate
09-15-2008, 08:23 PM
i just got a new splash cymbal. sabian aax 12'

Jakallica
09-16-2008, 08:03 AM
i just got a new splash cymbal. sabian aax 12'
nice. My aax china cymbol was stolen at a gig on Sunday...I'm very pissed off

Videon
09-16-2008, 09:15 AM
nice. My aax china cymbol was stolen at a gig on Sunday...I'm very pissed off
Wow, who the fuck steals a symbol at a gig?

Turboz
09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I program drums, does that count?