PDA

View Full Version : Linksys? posi

Follow Your Dreams
08-11-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok so i'm getting a laptop soon and my parents have said they will not get another internet provider (we have DSL and they won't switch to wireless.) Anyways, i'm curious to know if a linksys plugs into your DSL connection and transmits a wireless connection for my laptop?

If not, explain to me what a linksys does plz. posi for help

Prayash
08-11-2008, 12:06 PM
You can get those Linksys chip thingy. You insert it in the computer and it works like a router and picks up the wireless networks around you area. You need a router to transmit a wireless connection for your laptop. They don't cost much. The more the computers using the same network as you, the slower it gets. For example if your using 2 computers with 1 router, then it's a little slow, but if you use like 3 or 4 then it gets extremely slow. So you can either get the Linksys chip card thing or a router.

Follow Your Dreams
08-11-2008, 12:09 PM
I think i'm getting the router...so would the router be plugged into my DSL box and transmit that internet?

Prayash
08-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm pretty sure. You can connect the Router wire onto the Ethernet plug on the DSL box. It should have a hole that says Ethernet. If you cant get it to work then you would have to get a modem. But it should work. I had a Verizon DSL box and it had the Ethernet plug which you would connect to the computer. Instead of connecting to the computer, connect it to the router and it should transmit the internet.

Follow Your Dreams
08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I'm pretty sure. You can connect the Router wire onto the Ethernet plug on the DSL box. It should have a hole that says Ethernet. If you cant get it to work then you would have to get a modem. But it should work. I had a Verizon DSL box and it had the Ethernet plug which you would connect to the computer. Instead of connecting to the computer, connect it to the router and it should transmit the internet.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. I've seen them at other peoples houses and on this beach trip I went on a guy had his plugged up to the linksys router.

Thanks for the help dude.

Prayash
08-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Have fun, hope it works for ya :-)

BushPushesMongo
08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah, buy a Linksys router, they're really nice.

Follow Your Dreams
08-11-2008, 12:27 PM
You have one BPM?

BushPushesMongo
08-11-2008, 12:31 PM
I did, until my dad called his computer guy and he came and replaced it with some stupid Motorola router/modem box. It sucks. But, our old ISP modem and Linskys router was great.

Prayash
08-11-2008, 12:32 PM
I have Comcast and the Motorolla Modem box too. But I'm using a router with it for my other laptop.

Ecko
08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Ok so i'm getting a laptop soon and my parents have said they will not get another internet provider (we have DSL and they won't switch to wireless.) Anyways, i'm curious to know if a linksys plugs into your DSL connection and transmits a wireless connection for my laptop?

If not, explain to me what a linksys does plz. posi for help

yes. period. it definatly does exactly that, infact thats what i use for my laptop

OldSchool_J
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Wireless Router to transmit to other wireless devices. Plug in current DSL line into the wireless router, and you're good to go.

thechief69
08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
just get a wireless router...

OldSchool_J
08-11-2008, 02:27 PM
on another note, get a Linksys wireless router with Speed Booster.

twitchy204
08-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Wireless Router to transmit to other wireless devices. Plug in current DSL line into the wireless router, and you're good to go.

it took me and the linksys/comcest/dell people 3 days to get mine working.

just do it like it says on the directions first, and then if its not working right, call the linksys people.

i've got my linksys router hooked to our modem.

OldSchool_J
08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
it took me and the linksys/comcest/dell people 3 days to get mine working.

just do it like it says on the directions first, and then if its not working right, call the linksys people.

i've got my linksys router hooked to our modem.

Or call me, LOL.

twitchy204
08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
why would he call you?

dumbass

theskate
08-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Steal a router from walmart and make a thread about it.

OldSchool_J
08-11-2008, 03:09 PM
why would he call you?

dumbass

Because I like him <3

myfriendsareonfire
08-11-2008, 05:06 PM
on another note, get a Linksys wireless router with Speed Booster.
i have one of those with speed booster so i get internet on my computer downstairs and it's usually slow as fuck compared to the computer at my dads house. i constantly have 2 bars out of 5, right now i have 1

twitchy204
08-11-2008, 05:11 PM
get closer to the router...

myfriendsareonfire
08-11-2008, 05:53 PM
get closer to the router...
how would i do that when the router is upstairs and my computer is... um... downstairs

BushPushesMongo
08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
Steal a router from walmart and make a thread about it.

Say, you wouldn't happen to be Cody551, would you?