PDA

View Full Version : Setting an audio mix left to right...

crooked09
07-31-2008, 07:17 PM
How do you guys do it? Like I've generally read that drums and vocals go center, and guitars to left and right... but how much left and right? And if I've got 3 guitars (rhythm lead and bass) I'm not sure how much to set left and right... and how to decide which ones should share a side.

Also, should separate drums parts be split up.. like have just kick and snare in the center and put cymbals left and/or right...

Any tips?

riskitforabiscuit
07-31-2008, 10:43 PM
I keep the bass drum and bass guitar in the dead centre. I usually record two guitars, one about 70% left and one about 70% right. I usually keep vocals in the centre or slightly left or right.

Paganboy
08-01-2008, 06:45 AM
just mess with the mix until it sounds good to you.

make sure you use good headphones...

Marevix
08-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I pan rhythm guitars (especially if they're mirrored) 100% left and right, and if I'm using different synths for the left and right hand parts I'll usually do the same with those. I leave everything else centered.

riskitforabiscuit
08-02-2008, 01:32 AM
just mess with the mix until it sounds good to you.

make sure you use good headphones...
When you're mixing you really should be using good monitors.

Paganboy
08-02-2008, 05:54 AM
wel are we talking about live or recording?

riskitforabiscuit
08-02-2008, 05:55 AM
Recording.

UnknownSkater
08-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Well. Never pan 100% L/R. I would say pan each guitar 20-30%. Maybe try keeping the vocals centered, but with a stereo/reverb effect. All I ask of you is to make it so the Bass guitar can be heard. :p

Renegade of Funk
08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Bass Drum, Snare, and Bass Guitar I would put centered and vocals for the most part too, except to add cool effects to certain parts. Symbols i would pan about what it's like from the throne (hh pretty far left, then crash, then ride to the right, maybe a china far right depending on what you have) And pan the guitars, I would probably do about 40-60%, but that's really personal choice. any leads i would probably keep centered, unless you wanna do stuff like vox every now and then