PDA

View Full Version : im trying to get into bass guitar

popwar sk8er
04-23-2008, 07:16 AM
whats a good starter bass?i dont want to pay too much but what would be a good deal on one?i found one at our music store its one of those amp and guitar things for $200.good deal?or just crap?

crap_login_name
04-23-2008, 08:09 AM
I have a Jim Deacon and the sounds pretty good and the one I have isn't too expensive.

So if you see one in a shop or something then I would reccomend that.

Renegade of Funk
04-23-2008, 08:23 AM
If you are just starting and wanna learn there's nothing wrong with getting a crappy bass for cheap, most people usually start of with something like a Squire. I would just try to make sure the action (how far the strings are off the frettboard) isn't too high, cus it makes it a little harder to play and can be a little more frustrating when you're trying to learn

crap_login_name
04-23-2008, 08:39 AM
If you are just starting and wanna learn there's nothing wrong with getting a crappy bass for cheap, most people usually start of with something like a Squire. I would just try to make sure the action (how far the strings are off the frettboard) isn't too high, cus it makes it a little harder to play and can be a little more frustrating when you're trying to learn

That too :P

I forgot about features that would help for beginners :|

Schism
04-23-2008, 08:45 AM
squirer or Ibanez jumpstart.

Kumquat
04-23-2008, 05:16 PM
I bought something out of a pawn shop, and it's still serving me well.

Remember, don't have the strings too far off the fret board. I got an Ibanez Soundgear, and it frustrated the hell out of me when I was first learning. Damn fret buzz...

sk8_untill_dead
04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
But also think about how you're gunna be feeling about that guitar in 2 years.
if you're serious about getting into it, it really doesn't hurt to by a middle end over a lower end. when i bought my 200 dollar ibanez it was good, but now that i can actually play i would much rather have spent a little more for a better guitar.

urp0
04-24-2008, 05:59 AM
If I were you, I'd buy the chepest bass I could get.
I got my bass for free, it sucks but I still use it.

But yeah, squier and ibanez are both good for beginners if you want to buy your bass as new.

Marevix
04-24-2008, 03:01 PM

Precisely; Squier P-Basses are quite cheap, but the default action is too high.

I bought an Ibanez Ex-Series 5-string bass for $90 (supposedly a good discount) from my band's guitarist, myself. The only thing I don't like about it is that the pickups have some extra background humming.

Almost2
04-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I would NOT recommend a starter pack. Terrible shit. After 6 months, your gunna wanna upgrade.

Try the Ibanez GSR200.

GREAT beginner bass.