PDA

View Full Version : Fender Squire?

Habitat.skater.69
03-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Are Fender Squires a good starter guitar?, please help or give me some good info AND ADIVCE; pro's,cons stuff like that.

Which do you think is a better deal/guitar/

1. http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/5176295&category=strings-guitar

2. http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10309442&search=guitar&Mo=13&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=guitar&Ntt=guitar&No=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Please reply guys!
Thanks.

jpharaoh69
03-19-2008, 08:51 PM
squire = god no.

ive never played he yamaha but i cant imagine it would be all that good. in general, starter packs suck the big one. 95% of the time the amps blow so bad and the guitars are just mediocre. your way better off getting used gear separately.

Skaterdude
03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Starter guitars don't really vary in quality. I'd recommend finding a cheap acoustic to toy around with to build up the strength in your fingers and save money (No amp or cables required).

EDIT:

I've never seen a starter guitar with a 5-way toggle switch...kinda neat. My first electric just had a single humbucker at the bridge.

drizzle
03-20-2008, 04:32 AM
squire strat starter packs are pretty good if you'r a beginner, god no if you're not.

unless you switch the pickups for something better, then maybe they can be okay guitars.

Dominionskate
03-20-2008, 05:59 AM
for a beginner I cause they are good. Just a chepaer fender strat

spanky_dan
03-20-2008, 06:03 AM
I have had a Squier strat for 2 years, since I started playing guitar. I nearly blew 1.5 grand on guitar equipment, but luckily for me circumstances arose which made me not do that and I fell out of regular guitar playing for a few months. Looking back on that now, I am very happy because the strat is fine for my needs.

That said, I would say that I can play the guitar, and the strat serves the purpose fine, even two years on. It's a great starter guitar, and if you do get more serious you can easily upgrade to a better guitar, or even if you don't you can still enjoy guitar playing like I do with the strat. I would definitely recommend getting it if you are looking closely at that one.

I would recommend getting a decent amp though. One or the other, get a shit guitar and good amp, or vice versa. The investment is worth it, as when it comes to the stage you would like to upgrade, you will potentially only have to update one item instead of both.

Gibson_SG
03-20-2008, 06:04 AM
Starter guitars don't really vary in quality. I'd recommend finding a cheap acoustic to toy around with to build up the strength in your fingers and save money (No amp or cables required).

this is what i did. it doesnt cost as much for a decent acoustic, you build strength in your fingers, and you dont have to worry about amps or cables or pedals.

Carva
03-20-2008, 06:53 AM
Don't get a squire, shit guitar.
I play a yamaha pacifica, it plays great, I've had the strings lowered slightly.
Plays real nice so I'd say go with the yamaha, I bought a shit load of stuff off an old mate's grandad and I got so much stuff for 20, I used to have like.. 11 guitars but me and my dad sold them and split the money cause he bought half of them.

I don't play much anymore though, I've kinda gotten bored with it, I still play sometimes, but it used to be 3 hours a day minimum.

Scatman
03-20-2008, 09:22 AM
Get fender squier its good guitar for beginners. I started about 1 moth ago and its been good guitar.

ToxicSkater
03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I'd say get this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Vendetta-XM-Electric-Guitar?sku=512150

and:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-66Dart-Guitar-Amplifier-?sku=480088

kas
03-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Don't get a Squier, get a Fender Made in Mexico Strat, also called a Fender Standard Strat. They're pretty reasonably priced if you're starting off, highly customizable, and you won't find any annoying problems like you have with other starter guitars; this guitar will last you if you stick with the instrument.

Bassistskater
03-20-2008, 02:38 PM
if you buy one thats not in a stater pack (usually offline) they're good. just switch the pickups (unless you you dont care). but you'll also have to buy the amp, cables, tuner, ect.

i have a squire bass and it's awsome. the guitars are allright. i got a fender accousic, acoustics are fun to play anyways. but switch the pickups and it's good.

i might be getting a squire electric but i can't find any leftys