PDA

View Full Version : i need help with guitar.

Yuuki
03-14-2008, 06:17 PM
i've been playing for an odd one and a half years now. i've realised that my way of playing is really boring. all i play are Major Chords, Major 7ths, Minors, Minor Sevenths, and i can only riff off the pentatonic scales, i play too many bends, and i want to get more technical about my playing.

help? guide me to some scales that sound fun to improvie solo's off. good chords, good scales, ect.

Panda sam
03-14-2008, 06:44 PM
there are different modes for example the ionian mode and the dorian mode the phrygian mode and many others you could learn, heres a link for finding some good chords you just go through and pick a key and then the chord and it will show up on the neck diagram http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php
hope it helps

Tom_HKD
03-14-2008, 06:58 PM
http://ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/

UG has everything you need.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
03-15-2008, 12:07 AM
I am probably gonna shoot myself if i see another thread about guitar help.

blackgoat
03-15-2008, 12:09 AM
shoot yourself! NOW!

Yuuki
03-15-2008, 12:57 AM

i just want help. the title says "i need help with guitar" you obviously clicked on the thread knowing that i wanted help with guitar, and all you have to contribute is: I am probably gonna shoot myself if i see another thread about guitar help.

how about you just don't click on the thread next time. it'll save you the effort of writing up a suicide note, and i won't waste my time reading pointless posts when i could be learning something constructive.

riskitforabiscuit
03-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Learn all the modes.

Yuuki
03-15-2008, 05:40 AM
modes?

riskitforabiscuit
03-15-2008, 05:42 AM
modes?
First of all, how much musical theory do you know?

Yuuki
03-15-2008, 06:20 AM
very basic theory. up to about grade 4 AMEB.

riskitforabiscuit
03-15-2008, 05:35 PM
May as well go from the start and learn all classical theory. As long as you understand all the theory you can basically figure out most things for yourself on guitar, when it comes to scales, chords etc.

Ynot
03-15-2008, 08:11 PM
that's true, learning theory is extremely helpful when it comes to jamming and stuff. plus, if you can afford it, try to get lessons from a teacher, cause they can help you with your technique and show you stuff you may have never seen before.

riskitforabiscuit
03-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Getting a good teacher, especially one with good qualifications, is very important to progressing in guitar. You should get the same teacher Ash and I have, he rules.

Tony
03-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Nah I've never had a teacher for electric guitar, you should consider getting one though if you feel like it. Learn some theory, lot of fingering patterns and scales/modes, play around with the guitar, expand your technical skills, etc.

Also, agreed there are too many guitar help threads.