PDA

View Full Version : Turntablism

Brutusoo
03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Okay, well im pretty sure theres a few dj's here. I know drowning fish does this kind of stuff.

So I've been making music for a minute now, but strictly via computer programs. Reaktor, Orion, and FL a while back. But lately I've been having the urge to buy a turntable.

Basically im completely ignorant to this subject, and yes, ive done some research but its always better hearing it from another person. And I have an assload of questions that maybe someone can answer.

First of all, where the fuck do I start? How does it work basically.

I'm not sure if ill get much feedback anyway, so im not going to type down all my inquiries if this is going to be on the 3 page by tommorow.

Ipswitch
03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Lord Quas droppin' shit like some horses.

I'm not a dj, but to be a dj you just need to know the music you're spinning to inside and out. Get the beats in your head (snare hits, bass patterns, ride patterns), know the tempos, etc. You just really need to feel the music.

drowning_fish
03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I need to get ahold of more vinyl. Shit's addicting.

I don't really check this forum, if you AIM me I may be able to help you. I've only been DJing for like 6 months, and I will tell you first off-- shit is HARD.

One good book I can recommend you off the top of my head is "How to DJ Right- the art and science of playing records." Lots of good information, even starting off with explaining about gear and whatever.

But yeah, AIM son. I'm on there all the time, except when I'm not.

DIME
03-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I've been at it for about two years now, you gotta ask some questions for me to help you though.

what do you want to do with your tables?
do you want to scratch, or mix, or use them as a live sampler/looper with ableton. theres alot you can do, if your into production(i'm guessing hip hop) you're first gonna want a good turntable and a good scratch mixer and get practice scratching so you can tie that in with your beats and sample vinyl and shit.

Just ask a bunch of questions here or PM me or whatever and i'll help you out. Also check out DJ Qberts D.I.Y.(Do It Yourself) videos and read as much as you can on the internet(go to djforums.com and look through the beginners section and shit).

Oh, and if you're unsure about what turntablism is go on youtube and search DMC Finals and TIF Finals, also search DJ Woody's Flutine and look at some Mix Master Mike shit for some different styles of turntablism.

Brutusoo
03-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Added, df.

But yeah, what im wanting to is basically just what im doing now but with DJ equiptment. I like making music with the computer but putting on a nice vinyl and tweaking it and sampling it and shit seems like so much fun.

Thanks dime, im checking out all that stuff right now. Wasnt looking in the right places.

I just watched that DMC shit, its sick, but I dont really mean like that. By putting turntablism i really narrowed it down haha. I should have just put "DJing" or something.

Basically now im using a couple programs to create songs, and im wondering how to start doing this with physical equiptment.

Fudopi
03-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Really, it's just a matter of knowing what you do. Thoroughly. Then knowing how to use that knowledge to make something that sounds good.

And don't ask me how to accomplish that. I've been doin it occasionally (hour a week) when I have freetime. I'm not like the master or nothin.

Chopz
03-14-2008, 01:53 PM
DJing is alot of fun, the thing is being right on point with your beats. And one thing about it is that there really is no right way to DJ, it's like painting a picture, you basicly just do everything when you want and how you want. If your looking to do turntablism get some turntables, (from what I hear Technics are best for vinyl.) And if your looking to go the CD route, Pioneers are top quality.

What kind of music are you looking to get into?

drowning_fish
03-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah, definitely aim for 1200's. The industry standard.

I wasn't aware so many people on here were into this stuff haha. We should start a club or something

Brutusoo
03-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Well i already make DnB and hip-hop. So I'm probably sticking with that.

Grey Fox93
03-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah I've been wanting to get into turntablism too.

Pancakes.
03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
Get yourself a couple of decks and a mixer plus some vinyl and fuck shit up man.
I dont rock decks myself, i play synth and bass, but my homie is a bigshot and i play with im tons and that how he got into it.

Wh0l3j
03-17-2008, 02:40 PM
i want one of the things that let you mix with music on your computer
do those work well for turntablism, like scratching and whatnot? (i assume they have to emulate it)

drowning_fish
03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Someone once told me "DJing is the most expensive element of hip hop"

And yes, it fucking is.

TheLeavingSongPt.2
03-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Are you talking about using Fruity Loops? I remember it took me a long ass time to find out what that was. I found out through Newgrounds.

Pancakes.
03-18-2008, 06:31 PM

And yes, it fucking is.

word, but not if you pay for graf supplies, then after years that gets fucking expensive.

dannydecay
03-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Im just starting to dj. I got some Tec 12s (technics SL-1200s) and Ive been really pleased with them. Theyre reasonable and really good to learn on. As far as how to spin, if youre just laying basic beats it shouldnt be too hard for you to figure out, but mashing songs is difficult (beat matching, looping, etc.) There were some really good tutorials on a website. ill look for them...

MF*DOOMSDAY
03-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Graff isn't the most expensive if you rack most of your supplies. If you don't do that already then I suggest you do Pancakes. Just dont' get caught haha. I've been wanting to DJ for years now but the cost of just one technics 1200 is hella hard to pay. I better stick to bboying... All you gotta buy is nice fits.

Also one good advice is to get as many vinyls as you can get your hands on. You should have milkcrate full of vinyls. Either that or have that hook up with your laptop to scratch songs straight off your lappy. I forgot what it was called. Btw, anyone here scratch jazz stuff and etc.? Like Nujabes, Digable Planets, or Tribe Called Quest stuff?

drowning_fish
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
I've been interested in jazz lately. I need to go over to the jazz section and look for some records sometime. They have so much jazz shit that I've never looked through.

But if you're having trouble buying 1200's just go on craigslist and look for a decent set by some other company. So many people start and give up DJing so you see ads like that a lot. That's how I'm going to get my *ideal* 1200's set. I see people selling 2 1200's (and sometime even with a nice mixer and shit) for a pretty good price on craigslist. I don't know if it's just because I live in the Bay Area that I see so many but yeah...

BBoying is so physically strenuous... Or it looks like it. Props to whoever does that shit well.

Fudopi
03-19-2008, 04:07 PM

And yes, it fucking is.

It's not expensive if you steal it.

But I don't steal. I got a turntable and some vinyl for my birthday.

I went to a jazz concert a couple weeks ago. I'd never got into jazz until that day, and they played pretty good.

DIME
03-20-2008, 12:27 AM
I've been interested in jazz lately. I need to go over to the jazz section and look for some records sometime. They have so much jazz shit that I've never looked through.

jazz is tight, I grew up listening to alot of jazz. If you dont already know about him(you probably do though) check out Kid Koala, he makes all his music with tables and uses lots of jazz records and stuff.

Pancakes.
03-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Graff isn't the most expensive if you rack most of your supplies. If you don't do that already then I suggest you do Pancakes. Just dont' get caught haha. I've been wanting to DJ for years now but the cost of just one technics 1200 is hella hard to pay. I better stick to bboying... All you gotta buy is nice fits.

Aye son, I been at this longer than youve been alive probably. For real, I havent ever paid for paint. I actually made sure to specify that graf could be more expensive if one were to pay for their own paint and such. In truth, lots of piecers pay tons for their paint because they all buy euro goo so they have to pay for that shit. Actually, JA even rarely racked his own paint. Im sure he racked on occasion, but he was able to afford buying paint, which is half the reason he could get up so much more than everyone else; he just had more paint. Same deal with the Smith brothers, and its not a dis, its just a fact. They spent [RIP Sane] and SMiTH still spends, mad amounts on paint, though I do know that Sane fiended for racking. And Im sure it got expensive as fuck.