PDA

View Full Version : The Bright Lights Of America

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
03-11-2008, 12:45 PM
The day looms on the upcoming Anti-Flag release "The Bright Lights Of America" and quite frankly I am excited. I have been an avid fan of Anti-Flag since the first day Underground Network hit my cd player some odd 6 years ago. The Terror State and For Blood And Empire have grown on me and THe Bright Lights Of America appears to be the next step in Anti-Flag's transformation. The days of Their System Doesn't Work For You and Mobilize are long gone. But is that such a band thing? Bands progress. I'll be seeing them four days after the album hits stores on April 1st. To those who like Anti-Flag discuss.

Spit In The Face
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRa0mb1C30k

The Bright Lights Of America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scW62Lw_4so

Good And Ready
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcb9VCgrYbQ

Reflection17
03-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I haven't listened to all that much of them, but I don't mind hearing them every now and then.

jpharaoh69
03-11-2008, 03:54 PM
i liked for blood and empire but these new songs you put up arent really doing it for me. oh well, ill always have underground network.

drizzle
03-11-2008, 06:06 PM
New antiflag is lame as hell.

seanyboyinva
03-11-2008, 06:14 PM
nah the old stuff sucked. the new stuff is more focused, more politically better. to the poster- did you get the ep for victims of violent crimes. it was all pretty good (mostly live stuff i guess). i have terror state and underground network, along with other random stuff. anti-flag is definitly one of my favorite bands

drizzle
03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
i just listened to those 3 songs

and I dont know if i'm just used to hardcore and oi,
but based off those songs

new anti flag is lame as hell.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
03-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Well now the cd has leaked and all I can say is I'm impressed. The Smartest Bomb is my favorite song. The folk song is great imo and the ska esque beats/horn usage is nice to hear.

fulltimeskater
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
I might give it a listen, I'm really into them any more.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
03-19-2008, 11:48 PM
I thought I'd give it a review song by song for the hell of it.

1. Good And Ready- This song is about animal rights though you'll have to decipher alot of the lyrics to find the true meaning. Right away you're introduced to a new Anti-Flag. Overall an ok song. The choir in the bridge is actually the band's family.
7/10

2. The Bright Lights Of America - The title track of the cd. Probably one of my favorite songs. The lyrics outline how bad society must be to drive a teenager, a girl in this case, to cut herself. Centered a lot on poor self image created by media outlets.

8/10

3. Vices - One of the hands down best Anti-Flag songs in my opinion. Lyrics about a trying issue : Child Abuse. Those who are aware Chris #2 was abused as a child so this song rings passionately through him. Definitely not a punk song in any way. Great riffs and music.
8/10

4. The Modern Rome Burning - Not to much for me to mention here. Has a great build up in the bridge to a faster pace.
7/10

5. If You Want To Steal (You Better Learn How To Lie) - Great song. Likeable guitar riff for the intro. #2 on vocals. Some of my favorite lyrics
'If you want to steal, you better learn how to lie.
If you want to live, you better not fear how you die.
Heaven and hell are just a myth, so you better pay attention to this moment.'
Enjoyable song.
7/10

6. No Warning - This one is weird. To say the least. I haven't listened to it much and can't properly dissect it without the lyrics.
6/10

7. Spit In The Face - One of the best tracks. Easily the fastest on the cd. Reminiscent of "Death Of A Nation" and "State Funeral". The ending is easily my favorite part. Should be awesome live. Awesome guitar solo.
8/10

8. We Are The Lost - Another odd song I haven't really formed an opinion of yet. Another song about self image and feeling like an outsider in your own community.
6/10

9. Go West - Guitar and harmonica intro make for an interesting mix. Don't really like this song for some reason.
6/10

10. The Smartest Bomb - Oh yes. My favorite song. Finally here #2 seems to give more of the basslines I come to expect from him. Sounds more like older Anti-Flag atleast more so then the rest of the album. Awesome song. Great Chorus.
9.5/10

11. Shadow Of The Dead - Quite a dancing number. Horns used in this one. Good riffs throughout the song. I enjoy this song quite a bit.
8/10

12. The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Once again more bass like I've come to anticipate. Good song I really enjoy it. Listening to it again. I love it even more now. Once again the band's family plays a role in the bridge. Followed by a guitar solo. This song really grew on me quick.
9/10

13. Tar and Sagebrush - Oh shit a folk song. This is the bonus track and is COMPLETELY different then everything else. #2 on vocals. Head rocks the banjo in this song. Great song. Wasn't sure I'd like it when I heard the sample of it but it has rather grown on me.
9/10

Not to much of an indepth review. Note that this cd is unlike any other Anti-Flag cd. No talk of Iraq, Bush, or many of the things they used to as they feel they don't want to repeat the same thing over and over again. The music is far from punk, which I don't see as that much of a bad thing. This is truly a different Anti-Flag and I personally like it.

RiseWithTheFallen.
03-20-2008, 01:58 PM
Downloading it right now.

dannydecay
03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
New antiflag is lame as hell.

ALL anti-flag sucks. listen to real hardcore, pussy. anti-flag cds sell at fucking target.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
03-20-2008, 02:30 PM
ALL anti-flag sucks. listen to real hardcore, pussy. anti-flag cds sell at fucking target.

Real Hardcore? Call me crazy they have never claimed to be this so called "hardcore". I hope your not one of those douche bags who think because they listen to Black Flag or Gorilla Biscuits or some other 80's hardcore punk band that their opinion is more valued. Or one of those kids that listens to Crust and think they are the absolute shit.

Fly_in_My_Soup
03-20-2008, 02:40 PM

how is anti-flag hardcore? who the fuck cares if their cd's sell at target? your lame as shit.

and im seeing them april 4th.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
03-20-2008, 02:53 PM
how is anti-flag hardcore? who the fuck cares if their cd's sell at target? your lame as shit.

and im seeing them april 4th.
And I get to see them April 5th. I can't fucking wait.

drizzle
03-20-2008, 07:02 PM
Real Hardcore? Call me crazy they have never claimed to be this so called "hardcore". I hope your not one of those douche bags who think because they listen to Black Flag or Gorilla Biscuits or some other 80's hardcore punk band that their opinion is more valued. Or one of those kids that listens to Crust and think they are the absolute shit.

sounds like you just described me

;-{

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
03-20-2008, 10:08 PM
sounds like you just described me

;-{
But you have what appears to be a banana playing saxophone. so its cool.

spanky_dan
03-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Ha, I wasn't even aware that they had a new album coming out, I'll check it out though. For Blood And Empire has some great songs on it, but it's effect has kinda faded since I bought it, whereas Underground Network will always be a favourite of mine. I prefer new-er Anti-Flag to really old Anti-Flag (Die For The Government etc. - still some great songs, but I prefer the new-er stuff). I really liked the direction as a whole they went in with For Blood And Empire, although some of the doublepicked/tremolo 3 string intro riffs get kinda boring after a while, thus why songs like Emigre, This Is The End and War Sucks, Let's Party, State Funeral and a couple of others were all favourites of mine.

So I'll check out this new album, it sounds pretty good from your review and I'll be keen to hear where they have gone. I saw them in January when they opened for Rage on their tour down under (they didn't really measure up...haha :( although you can't really compare the 2 bands), but yeah this is pretty cool.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
03-20-2008, 11:22 PM
If you're expecting punk at all then don't listen to this album. Man listening to Vices again I feel bad for #2.

JerseySucks
03-21-2008, 12:28 AM
anti-flag sucks. I can't respect them after that horrible one trillion dollars song that sounded like good charlotte.

dannydecay
03-21-2008, 08:40 PM
anti-flag sings about corporate greed, selling out, etc etc. theyre no better than green day or simple plan. they are ridiculous hypocrites who have no real knowledge about the issues that they bitch about. and undergroundnetwork, while black flag and gorilla biscuit are great bands, there is still good music coming out today. music that shows anti-flag for what they are, a group of whiny, ignorant assholes. and ive already been through my crust phase. i much prefer the d-beat recently

drizzle
03-21-2008, 08:59 PM
anti-flag sings about corporate greed, selling out, etc etc. theyre no better than green day or simple plan. they are ridiculous hypocrites who have no real knowledge about the issues that they bitch about. and undergroundnetwork, while black flag and gorilla biscuit are great bands, there is still good music coming out today. music that shows anti-flag for what they are, a group of whiny, ignorant assholes. and ive already been through my crust phase. i much prefer the d-beat recently

D-beat, that's original

DISCLOSE, DISARM, DISFEAR, DISGUST, DISRUPT

although, Discharge does rule. Confuse rules too.

dannydecay
03-21-2008, 09:04 PM
hah no doubt. most d-beat bands with dis in front of their names are pretty lame (except discharge of course). World Burns to Death/ Severed Head of State/ Bastard Sons of the Apocolyse/ etc rule though

dannydecay
03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
you should come to texas for chaos in tejas this summer. the lineup is pretty insane (los crudos one and only reunion show ever)