PDA

View Full Version : where to start...

myfriendsareonfire
03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Well, I've had a guitar for a while and used to mess around on it a bit but I want to get into it now and really play. So what should I start learning first,that was my problem when I got my guitar, i didn't know what to start doing.

I've got an Ibanez IJX40

Wowee Zowee
03-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Here are my tips and where I started with the kids I teach guitar to:
First, don't start with songs. Find a good chord reference chart and learn your basic A, D, E, G, and C. Play the hell out of these chords and make sure you can go to them at the drop of a hat. Start playing some simple chord progressions, maybe 12 Bar blues (since its so damn easy). Keep an eye on your tempo!! Tap your foot, count it off, do what you have to do, but if you don't get a good feel for rhythms, your leads are going to sound like fuck. Once you get your basic chords down, move up to bar chords and double bar chords... Now learn your B and F are good starters for these two chords because you can add them to your repertoire of chords and learn the new positions at the same time.

Spend some time noodling around with chords so that you're familiar with a couple different positions. Play along with Cream, Zeppelin, other old school blues bands just to get a feel for basic rhythms, turnarounds, etc. Even if you hate blues and classic rock, these will help you with any style of music you want to play.

After you feel comfortable picking up a guitar and being able to make up a quick chord progression, start moving to licks, riffs, and scales. Practice running the Pentatonic scale so you know where your root notes are. Try turning on an easy song like "Midnight Rambler" for example by the Rolling Stones and listen for some riffs... Try those out and then modify them, turn them into your own. This helps to foster creativity but also gives you some standards to go back to so you're not COMPLETELY starting from scratch.

Maybe this will help, maybe it won't. Good luck!

myfriendsareonfire
03-10-2008, 02:45 PM
thanks, I sort of remember A, D, E ,G and C and can play some easy stuff like smoke on the water and iron man.

jpharaoh69
03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
i really like wowee zowee's advice but i should add that in addition to that stuff, you should learn some easy songs you like so that playing guitar doesnt seem like a chore and you get bored of it.

myfriendsareonfire
03-10-2008, 02:59 PM
i really like wowee zowee's advice but i should add that in addition to that stuff, you should learn some easy songs you like so that playing guitar doesnt seem like a chore and you get bored of it.
that's what happened the first time, i felt i had to do it and got bored. then i see my friends in their band and they have so much fun

Wowee Zowee
03-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Excellent point. I kinda got tied up with the technical bullshit. Definitely pick out some songs that you really like that you can whip out and continue to work on as you get better. "Sunshine of Your Love" was one of my first songs and I sucked at it, but it stuck with me as I got better and I started adding riffs, more complex chords, etc. Kinda building on it as time goes by. It helps you see and hear your progression. But if it ever starts seeming like a chore, take a little break, listen to some songs, get some inspiration and then try it again. Once you get rolling and hook up with a band, it will take off. I remember the first time I played a show with our band... I don't think the smile came off my face for about two weeks. Playing guitar can be immensely rewarding, but it can also be frustrating like a mofo. Just keep up steady practice and have fun.