PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Help

Dolphins3416
03-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I have been playing bass for a number of years and now im trying to learn guitar. Is there some stuff that i should defiantly learn?

jpharaoh69
03-08-2008, 08:16 AM
try going on to the www.ultimate-guitar.com forums. theyll help a lot more.

Marevix
03-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Depends if you played bass with a pick or without. If you used a pick, then you'll want to start with chords (I'd start with triads and power chords, if you don't already know them) and move on to techniques favored more by the six strings - sweep picking, string skipping, etc. You'll have to start with the basics as far as right-hand technique is concerned if you played fingerstyle. Just remember that there are only four semitones between the G and B strings.

Tony
03-08-2008, 11:49 AM
There isn't as easy thing in music theory as power chords, there just isn't. Marevix covered a lot in his post, but I'll just say don't rush into new techniques if you're not REALLY dedicated. First polish up your playing style and old ones.

Marevix
03-08-2008, 12:02 PM
I'd like to add now that if you're not familiar with diatonic scales from your experience playing bass, you'll probably want to start working with them. Many chords and arpeggios are based off of them (esp. the Major scale - major triads and power chords are very common).

Skaterdude
03-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Depends if you played bass with a pick or without. If you used a pick, then you'll want to start with chords (I'd start with triads and power chords, if you don't already know them) and move on to techniques favored more by the six strings - sweep picking, string skipping, etc. You'll have to start with the basics as far as right-hand technique is concerned if you played fingerstyle. Just remember that there are only four semitones between the G and B strings.

...I don't think that post was very helpful.

When you're just starting out:

1) Learn basic chords and practice them to where you can switch between them fairly quickly.

2) Learn fairly easy songs that you enjoy listening to.

3) Learn some basic alternate picking exercises and practice those often.

You shouldn't even worry about string skipping or sweeping at this point.

Marevix
03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
...I don't think that post was very helpful.

How is my post unhelpful, considering that it's a more descript version of this one?

Tony
03-08-2008, 12:20 PM
How is my post unhelpful, considering that it's a more descript version of this one?
I think your post is helpful but not for this thread starter. Let's say someone who wanted to proceed in technical guitar playing and is already very familiar with all the easiest stuff like alternate picking slow and all the main chords, I think he would find your post helpful but this guy asked for beginner stuff, since he's just starting. I don't consider sweeping and string skipping beginner, I still have problems with both.

Panda sam
03-08-2008, 12:22 PM
try to learn and memorize all the notes on the neck maybe learn patterns for example pentatonic learn chords of course and if you haven't learned it from playing bass learn to read sheet music

Marevix
03-08-2008, 12:49 PM
I think your post is helpful but not for this thread starter. Let's say someone who wanted to proceed in technical guitar playing and is already very familiar with all the easiest stuff like alternate picking slow and all the main chords, I think he would find your post helpful but this guy asked for beginner stuff, since he's just starting. I don't consider sweeping and string skipping beginner, I still have problems with both.

I would agree had I not covered those said basics as well. Perhaps the sweeping/string skipping bit is unneccesary - I threw that in under the assumption that he already played with a pick and wanted some more guitar-specific picking styles to work with. I didn't mean to imply that sweeping or string skipping were suited for beginners, if that's how you guys interpreted it.

Ynot
03-08-2008, 08:41 PM
learn some chords and some theory if you don't already know it. if you play bass with a pick do that on guitar, but if you do fingerstyle it's really up to you if you want to go with either. try to learn some songs and maybe a few licks to get your chops up.

Almost***
03-09-2008, 09:10 AM
start out with some easy chords and chord progression if you dont already know how to read sheet music try and learn it and learn some easy scales

reptiskate52
03-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Learn your fretboard. All note locations, half steps, whole steps, etc. From there, learn basic chords (G major, C, D, F, Em, A, etc.) and barre chords. Learn minor, major and pentatonic scales (WWHWWWH for major and WHWWWHW for minor).

Depending on the style of music you want to play, learn different , simple techniques. At this point, 3 or 4 finger tapping and alternate picking are the most advance techniques you'll want to learn. Don't try to jump right into sweeping and stuff like that.

And just try to learn songs you like.

Skaterdude
03-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Learn your fretboard. All note locations, half steps, whole steps, etc. From there, learn basic chords (G major, C, D, F, Em, A, etc.) and barre chords. Learn minor, major and pentatonic scales (WWHWWWH for major and WHWWWHW for minor).

Depending on the style of music you want to play, learn different , simple techniques. At this point, 3 or 4 finger tapping and alternate picking are the most advance techniques you'll want to learn. Don't try to jump right into sweeping and stuff like that.

And just try to learn songs you like.

Hahaha 4 finger tapping, wtf...

reptiskate52
03-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Hahaha 4 finger tapping, wtf...
Ha, I know little to nothing about tapping. I think it's gay in the first place, but still.

Skaterdude
03-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Ha, I know little to nothing about tapping. I think it's gay in the first place, but still.

I mean, I think it's hilarious how 4-finger tapping and alternate picking were beside each other. It's like the two opposite extremes in guitar techniques.

Tony
03-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Do Chris Broderick's 8 finger tapping arpeggios.

/thread

reptiskate52
03-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I mean, I think it's hilarious how 4-finger tapping and alternate picking were beside each other. It's like the two opposite extremes in guitar techniques.
Really? I thought both were really simple to learn.

Tony
03-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Really? I thought both were really simple to learn.
You got no shit on the hardest types of alternate picking then, ie. alternate picking arpeggios.

StayAwake
03-09-2008, 02:46 PM
try and get the michael angelo batio dvds

Dolphins3416
03-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Wow thanks for all the info and help.

jpharaoh69
03-16-2008, 03:37 PM
You got no shit on the hardest types of alternate picking then, ie. alternate picking arpeggios.

i hate those. well i used to, but ive gotten used to them. theyre still a bitch at really high speeds though.

Tony
03-17-2008, 02:37 AM
i hate those. well i used to, but ive gotten used to them. theyre still a bitch at really high speeds though.

Try the diminished ones from JP's Damage Control, I don't get it how he can pick those to clean live.

reptiskate52
03-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Eh, I'm not really a technical guitarist anyway, so probably not. The most technical shit I bother playing are more basic sweeps.

Tony
03-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Eh, I'm not really a technical guitarist anyway, so probably not. The most technical shit I bother playing are more basic sweeps.

Yeah I didn't mean to be offensive in any way, but I'm just saying alternate picking is really hard taken to the hardest type of arpeggios/solos to play. The basic techniques are usually easy on every technique, but I think alternate picking can be a bitch.