PDA

View Full Version : guitar players

dylanWHAT??!!?
03-02-2008, 11:34 PM
okay, so ive been playing guitar for a good while, im pretty decent at it, except when it comes to scales and things of that nature, i need to learn this stuff

so got any ideas on how i can get started on this?

killyourfamily
03-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Learn all the notes on the guitar then start learning a bit of theory. The major scale is easiest so start there.

dylanWHAT??!!?
03-02-2008, 11:43 PM
i switch up tuning alot, would that make it harder?

skatetilldeath
03-02-2008, 11:43 PM
penatonic scale is vital to know, because after you get it down it can be used as several things.

killyourfamily
03-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah, since you're making the notes lower so say C would be in a different fret. Learn the basics first, then you'll understand how it works and shouldn't be too difficult.

dylanWHAT??!!?
03-02-2008, 11:46 PM
yeah, i use about 4-5 diff tunings depending on what im doing, and u got any ideas or excersizes to help memorize the notes?

Skater_goth
03-03-2008, 12:10 AM
if you want to remember notes, just keep playing the same note until you remember what it sounds like compared to lower or higher notes.

Also you said that you are pretty decent at guitar but cannot grasp some basic scales?? I play alot of scales on my acoustic

http://guitar.about.com/library/media/audio/amajorscale.mp3

killyourfamily
03-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Just remember the standard tuning, then drop D/C/B/A or what have you.

And also, the 12th fret is the same note as the open string, so that means there are 11 notes in between the same 2 notes.

E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E

Skater_goth
03-03-2008, 12:15 AM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/major_scales_explained.html
Skater_goth50 FTW

dylanWHAT??!!?
03-03-2008, 12:30 AM
if you want to remember notes, just keep playing the same note until you remember what it sounds like compared to lower or higher notes.

Also you said that you are pretty decent at guitar but cannot grasp some basic scales?? I play alot of scales on my acoustic

http://guitar.about.com/library/media/audio/amajorscale.mp3

yeah im pretty good, better than basically everyone i know who plays, and i know the patter to some scale, i think its the major scale pattern

Wowee Zowee
03-03-2008, 07:04 AM
keep it in EADGBe for a weekend and forget about crazy scales... stick the with basic pentatonic, major and minor... get to know where your root notes are. Different tunings are great, and you can start working your scales in later, but its best to keep it simple when you're just starting off. Play along to a simple chord progression and pick a key to stay in. If you're into the blues, I'd highly recommend finding some old school, electrified blues like early Fleetwood Mac or Cream and play along. Learn the phrasings and some simple licks and you can build from there.

BTW: what style of music do you tend to steer towards?

dylanWHAT??!!?
03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
keep it in EADGBe for a weekend and forget about crazy scales... stick the with basic pentatonic, major and minor... get to know where your root notes are. Different tunings are great, and you can start working your scales in later, but its best to keep it simple when you're just starting off. Play along to a simple chord progression and pick a key to stay in. If you're into the blues, I'd highly recommend finding some old school, electrified blues like early Fleetwood Mac or Cream and play along. Learn the phrasings and some simple licks and you can build from there.

BTW: what style of music do you tend to steer towards?

metal haha

Panda sam
03-04-2008, 03:30 PM
if you want to try and memorize the notes you could do a sort of warm up called triangle magic, its where you find a set of notes, say msybe e, in a triangle, it would be low e string open, high e string open and 2nd fret d string

blindskater is back
03-04-2008, 03:37 PM
yeah check out the Ultimate guitar lessons, Id learn the minor pentatonic first, its simple.

Gibson_SG
03-04-2008, 04:59 PM
by a book of scales. im learning them that way

Schism
03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
With out scales you will go no where.