PDA

View Full Version : Me playing some Dream Theater, CHECK IT

Tony
01-08-2008, 07:45 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=S0EN9SX1Ljs

Intro to In the Presence of the Enemies pt. 1 from their newest album Systematic Chaos. Comment on that shiz.

And oh, you might think it's John's guitar and mine isn't on and this is a fake if you're stupid enough, but it's really my guitar you're hearing, just listen to the part where I play the chords and synths play the main riff.

goldendragon
01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
:thumbup: I can't play to save my life and that just added to my humiliation. Sweet stuff.

killyourfamily
01-08-2008, 08:00 AM
Damn son, that was sweet. How long have you been playing? Are you in a band?

jpharaoh69
01-08-2008, 09:08 AM
oh dream theater... i hate their odd timing. not really the 7/8 or 5/8 stuff, but when it gets into the 15/16 or 17/16 stuff, it drives me crazy. it feels so weird playing that stuff.

Tony
01-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Killyourfamily:
Yes kinda, but there's only 2 guitar players and a drummer in that band and the drummer never shows up to the band practice + we got no vocalist synth player or bass player so... Makes me sad not being able to play in a band.

oh dream theater... i hate their odd timing. not really the 7/8 or 5/8 stuff, but when it gets into the 15/16 or 17/16 stuff, it drives me crazy. it feels so weird playing that stuff.

Haha I just fucking love it! If this doesn't make your timing better at playing instruments, nothing does. Really lately I've just been dragged into progressive metal like this is just too fucking good to not play! I just took my guitar sitting down and listening to this song and started messing around with it and figures the whole intro by ear. Playing 2/4, 4/4, 6/8 and 3/4 for years makes you so bored believe me, you really want to change a bit after those come too easy.

Galmeister
01-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Respect

That was quality

codyguy
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
good job,

NotoriousBigBird
01-08-2008, 05:12 PM
dayum. that was great. good playing. try learning the rest of the song, that would be sick.

Tony
01-09-2008, 05:53 AM
Thanks guys, I don't want to learn rest of the song yet though. Maybe in a year or few, I don't want to play too fast stuff like shit, I'd rather wait for my technical skills to get better and then cover the whole song, since it has some tricky 16th notes at 185 tempo.

paranoidmexican009
01-10-2008, 04:56 AM
nice!! i love dream theater, they kick ass live

Tony
01-11-2008, 03:53 AM
bumpidy

Skater_goth
01-11-2008, 04:15 AM
that was insane dude. You gotta be the sickest guitarist on sb-c lol.

Good work. How long have you been playing anyway?

btw you are the virus man, and yes it is skater_goth50 you helped me out and fixed my computer a long long time ago if you remember, I am going to posi you know actually for fixing it.

Tony=best member on sb-c

Tony
01-11-2008, 04:24 AM
that was insane dude. You gotta be the sickest guitarist on sb-c lol.

Good work. How long have you been playing anyway?

btw you are the virus man, and yes it is skater_goth50 you helped me out and fixed my computer a long long time ago if you remember, I am going to posi you know actually for fixing it.

Tony=best member on sb-c

Acoustic guitar for 5 years but electric guitar for less than a year maybe 10 months or so. I play a lot though, might spend 6 hours a day playing guitar in some cases.

Yeah I remember you back when I used to focus on virus-removing more, I still do it occasionally but rarely.

Last statement = meh. :P

Skater_goth
01-11-2008, 04:37 AM
6 hours a day, holy shit good work

Roboman
01-11-2008, 04:40 AM
Acoustic guitar for 5 years but electric guitar for less than a year maybe 10 months or so. I play a lot though, might spend 6 hours a day playing guitar in some cases.

Yeah I remember you back when I used to focus on virus-removing more, I still do it occasionally but rarely.

Last statement = meh. :P

Oooh! I've been playing my acoustic like its an electric for 3 and a half years now. People say making the swap to electric is quite easy and is also a bit of a cleanliness and speed boost. Does that sound right or will I need to go relearning stuff when I get an electric?

Tony
01-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Oooh! I've been playing my acoustic like its an electric for 3 and a half years now. People say making the swap to electric is quite easy and is also a bit of a cleanliness and speed boost. Does that sound right or will I need to go relearning stuff when I get an electric?

Assuming you've been fingerpicking the change to pick is huge, you need to clear out which picking technique you'll be using, mostly the one that feels the best but isn't technically bad. Mine could be better, but I'm so used to it and as long as the pick doesn't slip away from between my fingers I'm not going to change it as it feels so natural. Acoustic guitar has a 100% different sound than electric with distortion, you will be getting shitloads of open string noise and other kind of sounds when you're playing with distortion but it'll pass. It takes time to get yourself familiar with your new friend. :D

I recommend you don't get too much into the whole shredding thing, keep your stuff clean musical and remember to still play that classic guitar. That's what I do, though I learn shred-techniques still every day.

Can't give you more advice than that, if you're really into it theory lessons are always +.
http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/
^Godlike page

Roboman
01-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Thanks for the link, I've never been into shredding, mostly melodic stuff in weird modes. I have the musical knowledge from way back and used to love writing orchestra type pieces on computer, but putting it into an instrument effectively is the thing. I can fingerpick well and its fun because you can supply your own basslines in a way haha, but I often use a pick. I can pick well enough to do all of Sultans of Swing if thats anything to go by, not 100% success rate with the fast bit at the end though. String jumping is a little hard too, I've never gotten that working too well. Once I get the money I'll get an electric... its taking a while.

By the way, awesome video too. As that is the point of the thread after all.

[BakerBird]
01-11-2008, 04:56 AM
thats awesome.

Tony
01-11-2008, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the link, I've never been into shredding, mostly melodic stuff in weird modes. I have the musical knowledge from way back and used to love writing orchestra type pieces on computer, but putting it into an instrument effectively is the thing. I can fingerpick well and its fun because you can supply your own basslines in a way haha, but I often use a pick. I can pick well enough to do all of Sultans of Swing if thats anything to go by, not 100% success rate with the fast bit at the end though. String jumping is a little hard too, I've never gotten that working too well. Once I get the money I'll get an electric... its taking a while.

By the way, awesome video too. As that is the point of the thread after all.
I think locrian is the only weird sounding mode, phrygian dominant is my favorite. I've been into modes for only a month or so it's really hard to figure out all modes in all keys all over the fretboard, shitloads of work there.

By the way, talking about Sultans of swing you might wanna check my video of me covering that solo too, can be found on my youtube channel www.youtube.com/TonskiTAS