PDA

View Full Version : The next generation of metal.

almost_a_user_name
01-08-2008, 01:24 AM
What do you guys imagine the next generation of metal to be like? Can we even do anything else to this genre that hasn't already be done? we've sped is up, slowed it down. We've even added instruments that seem pretty "un-metal" into the genre which is commonly seen in the black metal sub genre. instruments such as keyboards, the violin, Cellos, church organs, ect. Some bands even play while keeping a groove that some say you can dance to such as rob zombie. even industrial band static X has been described as "disco metal." Which also brings up the point that metal has also evolved by taking influences from other genres of music. the sub genre thrash was created when fans of the British wave of heavy metal(bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest) combined it with hardcore punk,(The Misfits. I admit I don't know a lot about punk) which created bands like Metallica and Anthrax. The next generation of metal was another mix of another 2 genres. Anthrax guitar player Scott Ian is a Public Enemy fan which led them to do a song with Public Enemy(a metal cover of "bring the noise") Which eventually led to Nu-metal. a mix of hardcore metal with a rap feel. Even death metal with its growling vocals and horror story lyrics doesn't seem like it has any chance to evolve. Our latest generation of metal seems to be the worst yet. The new wave of American heavy metal mostly consists of horrible vocals which try to combine growling, screeching and singing cleanly all in one song(it usually doesn't work. Especially when they mix all 3 of those singing styles over each other)crappy drumming and boring riffs. Of course there are exceptions in nearly every genre but I've yet to see a band in this genre that literally doesn't make me sick.

(if you dont feel like reading it all just read the passage below)

Like I asked in the beginning of this thread, what else can we do to metal that we haven't already done? It just seems like We've done everything possible to this genre.

blackgoat
01-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Hmmmm... dude, that's pretty tough. I think we'll just have to continue this metal generation

riskitforabiscuit
01-08-2008, 05:42 AM
All is not lost, you forgot to mention the wonders of progressive metal which has unlimited boundaries.

almost_a_user_name
01-08-2008, 07:34 AM
All is not lost, you forgot to mention the wonders of progressive metal which has unlimited boundaries.

you would think so but every someones describes a metal band as "progressive" it always turns out to be the shitty American hardcore stuff. I guess no one told them they're a few years to late to being on time let alone progressive. Unless you have a link that proves me wrong.

goldendragon
01-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Would Shadows Fall be considered next-generation metal?
Also, we can only speculate on where metal is going next. I just hope we don't have people dressing like there from the hood playing something similar to Pantera.

killyourfamily
01-08-2008, 07:46 AM
you would think so but every someones describes a metal band as "progressive" it always turns out to be the shitty American hardcore stuff. I guess no one told them they're a few years to late to being on time let alone progressive. Unless you have a link that proves me wrong.
I'm pretty sure Dream Theater are progressive metal.

Tony
01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
Dream Theater and Rush are progressive metal bands.

NCStarr
01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Hmmm, probably band members killing each other on stage.

Jakallica
01-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Country metal! banjos n all!

EdUmacatedd
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
rap metal

Shadow_of_Deth
01-08-2008, 02:59 PM

Opeth is Progressive Metal but they are one of the best bands out there imo.

codyguy
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
i hope that metal turns more towards avant-garde like bands like unexpect, maudlin of the well, kayo dot, sleepytime gorilla museum, and ephel duath.
i think that prog metal bands such as green carnation, pain of salvation, ayreon, and riverside will continue to grow, and possibly break into the mainstream.
post-metal and sludge will probably start gaining a bigger fanbase, and i think that black and death metal are on the decline as people who start getting into heavy music are now turning more towards hardcore.

jpharaoh69
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
well theres already jazz fusion....jazz metal perhaps?

tubbyturd
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm not much of a metalhead, but I can throw in my two cents I suppose.

I don't think we'll ever really know where any given genre is going to progress -- if we did, we would probably be in a band making waves with our new style(s). I, as an example, was under the impression that the punk world was completely and utterly stagnating until I heard Gogol Bordello -- I never thought of putting a 'gypsy' style into the music, and they came out of nowhere and now they're blowing up with it.

I don't know, I'm throwing my conjecture around without anything to back it up.

Here's a vid or two of Gogol, by the way. I recommend you see them live -- Their shows are like a combination of Iggy Pop, Borat, and the Russian Circus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYTyfQe-o8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8eURkYkeLw&feature=related

codyguy
01-08-2008, 04:18 PM
cynic

adude113
01-08-2008, 04:42 PM

Hahhaha that's really funny.

i hope that metal turns more towards avant-garde like bands like unexpect, maudlin of the well, kayo dot, sleepytime gorilla museum, and ephel duath.
i think that prog metal bands such as green carnation, pain of salvation, ayreon, and riverside will continue to grow, and possibly break into the mainstream.
post-metal and sludge will probably start gaining a bigger fanbase, and i think that black and death metal are on the decline as people who start getting into heavy music are now turning more towards hardcore.

I wouldn't be surprised if sludge got more popular. I like it a lot more than death metal and black metal. I've never really heard any post-metal before though.

codyguy
01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Hahhaha that's really funny.

I wouldn't be surprised if sludge got more popular. I like it a lot more than death metal and black metal. I've never really heard any post-metal before though.

they're almost the same. bands like isis and pelican can be classified as both

tubbyturd
01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Look up Split Lip Rayfield -- They sing (or sang, rather -- their guitarist died of throat cancer) a combination of hardcore punk, metal, & bluegrass.

Actually, here's a link:

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=6215030

Check out the mandolin and banjo solos, heh.

canaconda
01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
reggae metal

Variation
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
reggae metal

ther is reggae hardcore, but i dont know how they would do it with metal.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
01-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Well, metal is going to have its shitty sides, and its good sides. The shitty side is going to be the popular mainstream side, as usual, and the good side will always be the underground. Music in itself is getting progressively worse.

imlee
01-08-2008, 05:57 PM
i think someones gonna figure out how to do a high pitched and low pitched scream at the same time, and somehow theres gonna be tripple bass

and like, an electric stand up bass instead of bass guitar...
more synthesisers too i hope

adude113
01-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Haha that would be like Kermit the Frog.^ (the screaming part).

But yeah, there might be like more than one singer in a band and more experimentation with vocals. And I can see more synthesizers.

codyguy
01-08-2008, 06:00 PM
i think someones gonna figure out how to do a high pitched and low pitched scream at the same time, and somehow theres gonna be tripple bass

and like, an electric stand up bass instead of bass guitar...
more synthesisers too i hope

it's not possible for one person to wail and growl simultaneously. and a triple bass peddle would be pointless until people develop third legs.

imlee
01-08-2008, 06:10 PM
they have jazzcore

imlee
01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
it's not possible for one person to wail and growl simultaneously. and a triple bass peddle would be pointless until people develop third legs.
well, i mean like, when its recorded over, it would sound like that because they inhale weird or soemthing

and they can either get something i thought up , were when you use the pedal it makes two whatever hits the drum hit it, or they have someone else(guitar player perhaps) use a bass pedal while hes playing too, or something... idk

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
01-08-2008, 06:13 PM
I wanna see 4 guitarists, 2 bassists, 2 drummers and Blessed Death vocalist.

codyguy
01-08-2008, 06:24 PM
well, i mean like, when its recorded over, it would sound like that because they inhale weird or soemthing

and they can either get something i thought up , were when you use the pedal it makes two whatever hits the drum hit it, or they have someone else(guitar player perhaps) use a bass pedal while hes playing too, or something... idk

i believe that there are bass pedals that hit on the up and down stroke, so have one of those and a normal peddle and it's essentially the same thing. and any faster bass pounding would be insanely ridiculous.

imlee
01-08-2008, 06:25 PM
i believe that there are bass pedals that hit on the up and down stroke, so have one of those and a normal peddle and it's essentially the same thing. and any faster bass pounding would be insanely ridiculous.
yea... itd be like a hum

well...trumbones in metal....

adude113
01-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Trombones and other brass instruments make such an ugly noise IMO. I wouldn't wanna hear it in metal.

jpharaoh69
01-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I wanna see 4 guitarists, 2 bassists, 2 drummers and Blessed Death vocalist.

i was about to start a ska band with 2 bassists. one was gonna play some punk type basslines while the other was doing some funk shit. it would have been tight.

adude113
01-08-2008, 06:49 PM
That would be sick.^ Mix that with metal lol.

riskitforabiscuit
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Heard of Rebel Meets Rebel or Hank Williams III?

CasperGuy
01-09-2008, 08:18 AM

and what happens with those who simply dislike progressive ???

adude113
01-09-2008, 09:15 AM
^Then they can simply cry :-D

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Progressive metal = boring.

Tony
01-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Progressive metal = boring.

I think this is a rather ignorant statement right there. This can be only your opinion and if so I think you should note that. Progressive metal is the most advanced form of metal, it has everything other types of metal doesn't have. In progressive metal you really can feel the emotion written into music, and still it's not too empty sounding, because there's some really metal riffs in there too.

Have you even listened progressive metal with thought, or just listened to 1 Rush's/Dream Theater's song for 5 secs and stating it's bullshit?

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
01-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I think this is a rather ignorant statement right there. This can be only your opinion and if so I think you should note that. Progressive metal is the most advanced form of metal, it has everything other types of metal doesn't have. In progressive metal you really can feel the emotion written into music, and still it's not too empty sounding, because there's some really metal riffs in there too.

Have you even listened progressive metal with thought, or just listened to 1 Rush's/Dream Theater's song for 5 secs and stating it's bullshit?

I've sat through 2 Opeth albums, and enough Dream Theater songs to form MY OPINION that progressive metal is boring. The only emotion I wanna feel when I listen to metal is anger and self-empowerment, no tear dripping solos, fuck that. You can listen to it if you want, but its not for me.

Tony
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
The way you stated it in your last post was like "all progressive metal is boring shit, period". To prevent this kind of mistakes I like to add the "in my opinion" into many of my posts. I don't usually pick on opinions, but generalizing post like that.

popliteskater
01-09-2008, 04:33 PM
there will be new pop metal thats crap and there will be more bands like wintersun.

yea wintersun is the best 1 man band ever and best band overall

Schism
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
SKA METAL \m/ (>_<) \m/

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
01-09-2008, 05:13 PM
there will be new pop metal thats crap and there will be more bands like wintersun.

yea wintersun is the best 1 man band ever and best band overall

Wintersun isn't a 1 man band.. what the hell are you talking about?

jpharaoh69
01-09-2008, 07:01 PM
SKA METAL \m/ (>_<) \m/

leftover crack?

CasperGuy
01-10-2008, 07:50 AM
what about symphonic metal ??

CasperGuy
01-10-2008, 07:53 AM
^Then they can simply cry :-D

ugh.. im not emo! :-{

no emo shit should be related to metal :p

adude113
01-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Hahahaha. You don't have to be emo to cry, just human.

And by pop metal, do you mean like Bon Jovi and all that hair metal crap? I would cry if that kinda stuff became popular again.

And is Leftover Crack a "ska-metal" band or something?

killyourfamily
01-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Hahahaha. You don't have to be emo to cry, just human.

And by pop metal, do you mean like Bon Jovi and all that hair metal crap? I would cry if that kinda stuff became popular again.

And is Leftover Crack a "ska-metal" band or something?
Yah, Punk/ska/metal.

adude113
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Ok I just listened to Leftover Crack. Two of their songs didn't sound metal, and the one that did didn't really sound punk or ska.
Is that the future of metal? :ohmy:

jpharaoh69
01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Ok I just listened to Leftover Crack. Two of their songs didn't sound metal, and the one that did didn't really sound punk or ska.
Is that the future of metal? :ohmy:

yea they dont really meld all the genres together. its just that some songs are metal/punk and others are punk/ska.

Gibson_SG
01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
leftover crack?

i cant stand them

Ynot
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
i don't really think you can predict what's next for metal as a genre or a culture. for example, back in the 80's, with all of the hair metal and glam rock, nobody could've guessed that metal in the 90's would've become so stripped down, depressing, and so completely different from it's earlier counterparts. besides, if we always knew what things would be like in the future, wouldn't it be boring after a while?

imlee
01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
its called skettle

i liked super tuesday by them for some reason

i guess i just like the guitars/bass/drums/everythign else other than the singing

sandmaster
01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
now that i think of it, you're very correct, you name it, it's been done by some metal band. there isn't anything i can think of that would be good, but most people that like metal, like metal the way it is, I know i don't want it to change.

Turboz
01-11-2008, 07:35 AM
ITs gonna be replaced by something heavier.

Lord Zendor
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
yeah motherfuckers Metal for life!!!! METALLL not some fucking Slipknot who is trying to be metal, but IT'S FUCKING NOT!!!!! Cannibal Corpse!!!!!!

zero sk8er247
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
They might take shitty hardcore and make it shittier (more emo angst, more vocals). But maybe some bands will mix genres around and add stuff to that genre. Like in blues that is very consistent with bass, they might add some blues solos. For example, listen to the song by Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now in the Fire

CasperGuy
01-11-2008, 04:59 PM
yeah motherfuckers Metal for life!!!! METALLL not some fucking Slipknot who is trying to be metal, but IT'S FUCKING NOT!!!!! Cannibal Corpse!!!!!!

finaly a good post by you

Deathklaat
03-29-2008, 05:19 PM
I guess metal has done all it can.. sad to say but almost everything sounds the same and when a new band comes along that tryes to be "different" they pretty much suck or get bashed on as some poser emo band or some nonsense like that... I cant imagine metal going any faster or more brutal than it already is... sad to say this but in my opinion metal has offered us all it can give... There isnt any new metal band that have yet to come out that dont sound to "recycled"

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
03-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I guess metal has done all it can.. sad to say but almost everything sounds the same and when a new band comes along that tryes to be "different" they pretty much suck or get bashed on as some poser emo band or some nonsense like that... I cant imagine metal going any faster or more brutal than it already is... sad to say this but in my opinion metal has offered us all it can give... There isnt any new metal band that have yet to come out that dont sound to "recycled"

People thought blast beats were the fastest music could be made by tempo, then recently gravity blasts were invented. Something down the line will come about that we don't even know of yet. People thought thrash was the heaviest it gets back in the day, and before that people thought Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath was as far as it could go. We obviously don't think it could get anymore than it has, but thats because we can't predict the future.

DomPy
03-30-2008, 06:36 AM
chiptune metal anyone?
me and my friend are going to experiment with it haha

reptiskate52
03-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Hopefully more fusion stuff with different instruments (Violins, banjos, mandolins, cellos, etc.) along with brass and woodwind.

I see this whole "Make it as heavy and brutal as possible" phase will die out and bands will try to be more unique, instead of just heavier than eachother.

Overall, I want bluegrass-metal, ska-metal, orchestra-metal and symphonic-metal.

Gibson_SG
03-30-2008, 07:06 AM
I'm not much of a metalhead, but I can throw in my two cents I suppose.

I don't think we'll ever really know where any given genre is going to progress -- if we did, we would probably be in a band making waves with our new style(s). I, as an example, was under the impression that the punk world was completely and utterly stagnating until I heard Gogol Bordello -- I never thought of putting a 'gypsy' style into the music, and they came out of nowhere and now they're blowing up with it.

I don't know, I'm throwing my conjecture around without anything to back it up.

Here's a vid or two of Gogol, by the way. I recommend you see them live -- Their shows are like a combination of Iggy Pop, Borat, and the Russian Circus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYTyfQe-o8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8eURkYkeLw&feature=related

that was really bad

gorgoroth
03-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Metal is now going down hill. What the fuck metalcore? its pathetic. Its just going to get worse and worse.

You do get some good bands forming still such as Devilish Impressions and stuff, and good bands are still about but most of the new ones are shit.

5deckollie
03-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Hopefully more fusion stuff with different instruments (Violins, banjos, mandolins, cellos, etc.) along with brass and woodwind.

I see this whole "Make it as heavy and brutal as possible" phase will die out and bands will try to be more unique, instead of just heavier than eachother.

Overall, I want bluegrass-metal, ska-metal, orchestra-metal and symphonic-metal.

john 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2FmSJ2_S8&feature=related

pyro
03-30-2008, 07:53 AM
orchestra-metal and symphonic-metal.

I dont know how much do you know European metal scene, but here is just some of the symphonic bands I listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HKKGrmiHtA After Forever
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HKKGrmiHtA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SiBcMCaHL0) Epica
Sirenia first and second album are more goth, the last one has more choirs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRe6qZcUOGA# Therion
Tristania - beyond the Veil album

Deathklaat
03-31-2008, 08:54 AM
People thought blast beats were the fastest music could be made by tempo, then recently gravity blasts were invented. Something down the line will come about that we don't even know of yet. People thought thrash was the heaviest it gets back in the day, and before that people thought Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath was as far as it could go. We obviously don't think it could get anymore than it has, but thats because we can't predict the future.

True, true.. I guess now we just have to wait and see what kinda image metal will have next.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
03-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Although if I was to take a trip into 100 years from now, I couldn't picture it being any better than today's metal. But I guess we have to wait and see. Technical advances will produce better gear, amps, pickups, etc..

Deathklaat
03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Metal is now going down hill. What the fuck metalcore? its pathetic. Its just going to get worse and worse.

You do get some good bands forming still such as Devilish Impressions and stuff, and good bands are still about but most of the new ones are shit.

Yea there hasent been good bands coming along lately, but then we stll have to worry about new bands sounding the same as the more know metal bands

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
03-31-2008, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't say metal sucks today. The only truth to that is if you're looking at the mainstream poppy bands(Trivium, KSI, A7X). There is a rising number of great underground thrash bands coming out, and Origin is releasing a new album tomorrow, Deicide is coming out with new shit, Necrophagist is working on a new album, and so on.
Lots of great shit going on in the underground metal scene.

reptiskate52
03-31-2008, 02:47 PM
Although if I was to take a trip into 100 years from now, I couldn't picture it being any better than today's metal. But I guess we have to wait and see. Technical advances will produce better gear, amps, pickups, etc..
Which just means it's just going to take less and less talent to make good music.

I see more shit in the future. Metal has reached it's peak and it should just stop trying to get more heavy.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Which just means it's just going to take less and less talent to make good music.

I see more shit in the future. Metal has reached it's peak and it should just stop trying to get more heavy.

Metal has always been about getting heavier and heavier. If it just stops all progression, then might aswell just let the whole genre die because everything will just be plain and nothing to look forward for the future. Heavy is good when it comes to being a metal fan, thats what keeps my interest in it.

Comfortably Numb
03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't say metal sucks today. The only truth to that is if you're looking at the mainstream poppy bands(Trivium, KSI, A7X). There is a rising number of great underground thrash bands coming out, and Origin is releasing a new album tomorrow, Deicide is coming out with new shit, Necrophagist is working on a new album, and so on.
Lots of great shit going on in the underground metal scene.

This guys know his shit.

sk8_untill_dead
03-31-2008, 03:52 PM
Metal won't die. doesn't matter if you can't make new sounds.
there will always be people who like generic metal.
It all depends on the people making the music.
There are so many metal bands around, in every sub-genre and all that.
there's bound to be some good bands.