PDA

View Full Version : Composing - Lack of inspiration

Tony
12-23-2007, 12:31 PM
I hope there's some experienced musicians here that can help me.

I used to have several ideas every now and then with my composing, these days my head's just like an empty bucket, nothing. I've noticed trying to sit with my guitar and forcing to come up with a riff doesn't work, but on the other hand I any other ways don't work either.

You think this state of uncreativity will just pass or? Any kind of advice is appreciated.

Adrenaline
12-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Try to make a song on something thats bothering you, or some important event that might have happened. Also, try to think of different rhyme schemes, cool ones. Your very own.
Try to mix stuff up and be curious about different sounds with different rhyme schemes on your guitar.
I hope this helps, because it has helped me before.
You'll get out of this state of uncreativity soon, trust me.

jpharaoh69
12-23-2007, 12:46 PM
take 2 or 3 bands you really like who are different (but in the same genre) and try to merge their playing style. see what you come up with and work off that.

Tony
12-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Thank you both, I've already read some advice from John Petrucci. I guess composing something really takes soulsearching and heavy craftmenship.

jpharaor69:
It's kinda hard as my main influences are from progressive metal, and it's known to be the hardest type of metal to compose. I could easily make a power metal song which has C5 chord and wanking the root for 5 mins, but progressive metal is very much harder to compose. I'm taking a lot of theory lessons and so on, but they don't help much as for now.

Adrenaline
12-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Thank you both, I've already read some advice from John Petrucci. I guess composing something really takes soulsearching and heavy craftmenship.

jpharaor69:
It's kinda hard as my main influences are from progressive metal, and it's known to be the hardest type of metal to compose. I could easily make a power metal song which has C5 chord and wanking the root for 5 mins, but progressive metal is very much harder to compose. I'm taking a lot of theory lessons and so on, but they don't help much as for now.
Oh no problem, bro.
Glad to help.;-)

jpharaoh69
12-23-2007, 12:53 PM
another thing that helps me is, instead of doing power chords, try some open or barre chords. they give a song a different feel, and its easier to work off of something new than something youve seen time and time again.

also, experiment with rhythm. stuff like not always playing on the beat. or even starting a chord progression on the last eighth note on a bar and continuing on trough that bar.

Tony
12-23-2007, 12:55 PM
I'll try that, thanks once again. If anyone has anything helpful in mind I'd really appreciate all advice.

Skaterdude
12-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Not all songs need be progressive metal...

Pick up your acoustic and write something slow and melodic.

Jakallica
12-23-2007, 01:02 PM
Well if your head is an empty bucket ..fill it with water!!!!
ah no,write bout how u feel,listen to bands u like or compose about something that happened/u heard bout..Write a song about xmas!!! Thats what my bands are doin!!!:P

Tony
12-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks for all the advice I've received from you, I finally after months managed to compose something, this post has a link which involvs the guitar pro-file so if you have guitar pro you can download the file and see what I composed. Positive reputation will be added to all helpful posts.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cdecmzemiex

jpharaoh69
12-24-2007, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all the advice I've received from you, I finally after months managed to compose something, this post has a link which involvs the guitar pro-file so if you have guitar pro you can download the file and see what I composed. Positive reputation will be added to all helpful posts.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cdecmzemiex

whoa, that riff sounds so weird. i like it. also that 2/4 bar break sounds awesome.

Tony
12-24-2007, 09:28 AM
You mean the first one? It uses G minor scale with descended 2nd (phrygian) and ascended 4th (dominant I think) so if there's anyone who can confirm this as a phrygian dominant scale?

Thanks for the good critic, I'm glad you like it. :)

new_skater99
12-24-2007, 09:47 AM
what i do when im trying to make something up is i start with a chord progression, so it might be like, (in F Major), F Bb D E F or something, just basically make up the chords and then the melody should just fall right in. btw, i have no idea if what i wrote sounds like anything because i dont have any keyboard or anything near me.

or, you could just use Pachebel's canon (D A B F# G D G A)

Tony
12-24-2007, 09:49 AM
or, you could just use Pachebel's canon (D A B F# G D G A)
...like jerryC did, and look how famous he's these days. :-D

blackgoat
12-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I hope there's some experienced musicians here that can help me.

I used to have several ideas every now and then with my composing, these days my head's just like an empty bucket, nothing. I've noticed trying to sit with my guitar and forcing to come up with a riff doesn't work, but on the other hand I any other ways don't work either.

You think this state of uncreativity will just pass or? Any kind of advice is appreciated.

You have to have a subject for the lyrics.
My guitarist can easily create a muthafuckin' heavy riff...
That's why i love drums! Cause it's fuckin' easy to create a muthafuckin' beat

^RANDOM

new_skater99
12-24-2007, 02:32 PM
...like jerryC did, and look how famous he's these days. :-D

yeah him and about 20 other people