PDA

View Full Version : Breakdowns are really starting to piss me off

sobrien
11-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Why do some bands feel the need to cram their songs with as many breakdowns as possible? They're usually incredibly forced sounding and the same chord repeated for the remainder of the breakdown. Emmure is a very good example and so is Elysia. And then there are the bands that can pull them off occasionally, but they still sound dull and boring. These bands are like It Dies Today and Norma Jean. Finally there are the bands that can pull off breakdowns and they actually sound pretty good. They aren't forced, nor crammed in. The Acacia Strain and Converge. Why do bands feel the need to put them on albums? They're fine live because of the dancing, but I've never heard of people dancing to albums. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but I really needed to get this off my chest.
/rant

fr00tl00pz
11-19-2007, 04:37 PM
I totally agree. Alot of breakdowns sound the same anways.

They're for teh epic dancerz in teh pitz d00d.

Reflection17
11-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Listen to country then, no breakdowns to worry about in that genre.

smitherson
11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Well if you don't like it then you can giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit out.

I like them, you just kinda get into it.

Sev7nTGWTM
11-19-2007, 06:10 PM
haha reflection is right.

Gothic Romance
11-19-2007, 06:11 PM
How do you complain about breakdowns and listen to Norma Jean? hahahaha

Sev7nTGWTM
11-19-2007, 06:28 PM
^ he might have listened to their stuff to see if they sucked or may hang out with a bunch of screamo loving faggots who wear size 1 girl pants and have hair down past their shoulders in the front.

sobrien
11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
How do you complain about breakdowns and listen to Norma Jean? hahahaha

I'll admit, I have listened to Norma Jean and all of the bands I posted about, and never really minded the breakdowns. It's just recently breakdowns have been pissing me off. I just see no purpose in them, and they really only interrupt and ruin a good song.

Variation
11-19-2007, 07:13 PM
i knew you would say the acacia strain. they have good breakdowns, and they flow with the music

lordata
11-19-2007, 07:30 PM
I found out from my friend the other day that the song "The Final Countdown" has a breakdown when he plays it in the school band during games, so I'm guessing the really exist in a lot of songs (according to a drummer).
but yeah some of the new metal ones that sound forced really piss me off. I don't like the sound of a forced pinch harmonic.

Variation
11-19-2007, 07:32 PM
man, you dont even know what a breakdown is haha.

probedbyalienworkshop
11-19-2007, 08:01 PM
WTF?! what version of the final countdown are you listening to??

dude... the final countdown has no breakdown.....

TeddyBear
11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Limp Bizkits breakdowns hurt.
But then again, any rapcore band suck anyway.

lordata
11-20-2007, 09:09 PM
man, you dont even know what a breakdown is haha.

WTF?! what version of the final countdown are you listening to??

dude... the final countdown has no breakdown.....
My friend told me it had a breakdown, there are breakdowns in a drummers terms in almost every song I guess according to my FRIEND not me

probedbyalienworkshop
11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
My friend told me it had a breakdown, there are breakdowns in a drummers terms in almost every song I guess according to my FRIEND not me

srry, didnt meant to direct that at you ;-)

anywho, these "breakdowns" he is referring to are probably just changes in tempos, if that is the case, i wouldn't consider that a "breakdown" per say. as the HXC breakdowns are more definitive

lordata
11-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok, I was pretty confused when he told me that The Final Countdown had a breakdown, and I tired to ask him what he meant, but he didn't answer me, that makes more sense, thanks.

emerica4life
11-22-2007, 11:10 AM
as blood runs black and august burns red have some kickass breakdowns

JerseySucks
11-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Why do some bands feel the need to cram their songs with as many breakdowns as possible? They're usually incredibly forced sounding and the same chord repeated for the remainder of the breakdown. Emmure is a very good example and so is Elysia. And then there are the bands that can pull them off occasionally, but they still sound dull and boring. These bands are like It Dies Today and Norma Jean. Finally there are the bands that can pull off breakdowns and they actually sound pretty good. They aren't forced, nor crammed in. The Acacia Strain and Converge. Why do bands feel the need to put them on albums? They're fine live because of the dancing, but I've never heard of people dancing to albums. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but I really needed to get this off my chest.
/rant

sometimes in my friends house we will put on some hardcore and dance like idiots for fun.

Roboman
11-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Mars Volta are the best at breakdowns. They'll go for minutes of subdued soupy atmosphere before getting back into the song again.

kristian
11-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Mars Volta are the best at breakdowns. They'll go for minutes of subdued soupy atmosphere before getting back into the song again.

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Roboman
11-22-2007, 06:45 PM
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Is there multiple meanings for breakdown or something? Wikiquote:

"In popular music a break is an instrumental or percussion section or interlude during a song derived from or related to stop-time – being a "break" from the main parts of the song or piece."

EDIT: Oh, you guys mean those half time breaks like in punk songs...?

lordata
11-22-2007, 07:03 PM
there are multiple definitions for anything.
I think they are mainly talking about metal/hardcore breakdowns since I went wrong when I talked about my friend who drums telling me about the final countdown's breakdown

sobrien
11-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Is there multiple meanings for breakdown or something? Wikiquote:

"In popular music a break is an instrumental or percussion section or interlude during a song derived from or related to stop-time – being a "break" from the main parts of the song or piece."

EDIT: Oh, you guys mean those half time breaks like in punk songs...?

What I'm talking about is this. The breakdown is from 25-50ish.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GZ9cve7Wwjw

smitherson
11-23-2007, 11:31 AM
sometimes in my friends house we will put on some hardcore and dance like idiots for fun.

Always fun

JerseySucks
11-23-2007, 02:37 PM
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

A breakdown doesn't just refer to the hardcore kind where you hit the same chords over and over.

I just call them breaks, but a lot of bands have them. The Fall of Troy has some, #12, etc, where it goes to like jazzy slowness and is usually completely different from the rest of the song, than goes back to the way it was before the break. I haven't listened to a whole bunch of Mars Volta, but I'm pretty sure that's what he means.

(H‡TTING‡R)
11-23-2007, 02:43 PM
breakdowns are good

Crazylikeafox
11-23-2007, 03:11 PM
What movies that sound bite from at the start of triumph?

"I think you should kill her"

sobrien
11-23-2007, 05:14 PM
What movies that sound bite from at the start of triumph?

"I think you should kill her"

It's pretty weird but,
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pPsACBPQv7k

Crazylikeafox
11-23-2007, 06:15 PM
I hate when song shave sound bites in it that I know I've heard before, but cant remember. Killwhitneydead does that a lot.