PDA

View Full Version : my band recorded an album

akkaquill
11-12-2007, 10:14 AM
we recorded an 11 track album in our drummers basement and we put 4 of the tracks up on our myspace (www.myspace.com/mslingers). it turned out pretty good for going into it with no recording experience. it took about 10 hours and it was a lot of fun to do, but now we have to do all the burning, labeling, and casing so we can sell it at our next show. the proceeds from album sales will go to my t-shirt printing studio so we can finally get shirts done.

hippyskater9244
11-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Yeah, same thing my band just did, except we had professionals record. We won this local contest that City Music(local music shop) put out. So we got 5 hours recording time. The only thing we need is to make duplicates, and the lead singer Aaron, his dad owns a t-shirt company so we already have shirts. Here's the myspace, we only have a recording with the old singer though. www.myspace.com/exequorband

Fly_in_My_Soup
11-12-2007, 10:37 AM
damn thats sick. no skateboarding is the best song up.

akkaquill
11-12-2007, 10:53 AM
damn thats sick. no skateboarding is the best song up.

thanks man, that's everyones favorite song at shows to, we always get a good mosh during that one

EnjoiRider25
11-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow, I like it a lot, I am gonna have to find out how to get a cd copy. Really good, recording was good actually. Keep it up.

legit
11-12-2007, 05:51 PM
thats cool. good luck with the band. hope you make it big.

its 10:24
11-12-2007, 06:24 PM
that was good

Pancakes.
11-12-2007, 06:35 PM
album hookups?

Ipswitch
11-12-2007, 07:00 PM
not feelin it..

akkaquill
11-12-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow, I like it a lot, I am gonna have to find out how to get a cd copy. Really good, recording was good actually. Keep it up.

i can mail you a copy but we won't have them ready for another month. it'll probably only cost $5

not feelin it..

yeah i was expecting most people to not be into it, since most people on here seem to be into screamo and gay shit like that. i'm surprised so many people actually liked it

Marevix
11-12-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm planning on recording a demo with the band I'm leading some time in January. I'm working on writing the riffs and melodies that I want to use in the songs/intro, then I'll arrange/write lyrics and start the recording process after buying a new microphone (ElectroVoice RE20). I've already got about 1/3 of the material I want to use (was 2/3, then I realized that half of it was mediocre) written music-wise, and the lyrical theme planned out waiting for word-by-word execution. There's a very outdated version of two of the songs on the MySpace in my signature; the current versions are stripped-down versions with a couple new instrumental sections.

Fly_in_My_Soup
11-12-2007, 09:24 PM
yeah i want a copy too.

Blank Side Chief
11-12-2007, 11:57 PM
It was sick, somehow reminds me of Dead Kennedys.

smitherson
11-13-2007, 12:17 PM
The recording was actually alright, I liked the songs.

Yeah, same thing my band just did, except we had professionals record. We won this local contest that City Music(local music shop) put out. So we got 5 hours recording time. The only thing we need is to make duplicates, and the lead singer Aaron, his dad owns a t-shirt company so we already have shirts. Here's the myspace, we only have a recording with the old singer though. www.myspace.com/exequorband

Holy shit dude you're playin in fitchburg on the 16th? Thats gonna be such a sick show, I'm definatly gonna try to get a ride there.

kristian
11-13-2007, 12:25 PM
The intro to No Skateboarding is the EXACT SAME as a song called marches and maneuvers by Thursday haha, holy shit that freaked me out.

However, I don't even listen to that genre and i LOVED No Skateboarding and Standing. Congratz!

akkaquill
11-13-2007, 01:30 PM
The intro to No Skateboarding is the EXACT SAME as a song called marches and maneuvers by Thursday haha, holy shit that freaked me out.

However, I don't even listen to that genre and i LOVED No Skateboarding and Standing. Congratz!

haha dude that is really close to the same intro, that's really weird

luckily ours is different just enough so we won't have to redo it

kristian
11-13-2007, 01:37 PM
haha yeah it's just the first 3 notes that are the same repeated a couple times. Your song is better anyways, whatever lullllll.

GO-COMMANDO
11-13-2007, 02:43 PM
It's not a crime to atleast try on your lyrics you know.

akkaquill
11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
It's not a crime to atleast try on your lyrics you know.

i'd rather not

BROBOT
11-13-2007, 03:41 PM
i really liked it.

not my usual type of music, but i really though it was good. i do listen to bad brains and black flag though.

tubbyturd
11-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Sounds kind of like a mix of The Queers (http://boomp3.com/m/16d7c13fb8e2) and The Rolemodels (http://boomp3.com/m/c4430958a4f2).

I'd work on the levels a bit -- They sound a bit off in places. Overall it's not bad, though.

If you get some CDs pressed I'll buy one :)

drizzle
11-13-2007, 04:41 PM
You'd better put that shit out on vinyl. then I'll buy like, 4 copies.

winman
11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
sounds pritty good my band radio for rockstars have been doing alot were about to sign with fuled by roman
p.s. pete wentz is gay in person and short

akkaquill
11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
Sounds kind of like a mix of The Queers (http://boomp3.com/m/16d7c13fb8e2) and The Rolemodels (http://boomp3.com/m/c4430958a4f2).

I'd work on the levels a bit -- They sound a bit off in places. Overall it's not bad, though.

If you get some CDs pressed I'll buy one :)

yeah the levels are off in pretty much every song because we have no experience whatsoever. basically we just burn it, drive around all day listening to it on the way to skatespots, and then get home and mess with the levels again from what we heard in the car haha. the ones online have all been tweaked a little bit but not by a huge amount. they're basically all the exact same sounding, just a little louder on the guitar here and there or more equalized on the group vocals etc

edit: oh yeah check out the "boston not LA" album by jerry's kids and then listen to the vocals in 'no skateboarding' (especially the part at the end "no skateboarding [hey hey]"

our drummer is convinced i'm the singer for jerrys kids because of that part haha

You'd better put that shit out on vinyl. then I'll buy like, 4 copies.

i'd love to put them on vinyl, i actually never even thought of that. i'm gonna look into that because i know a million people would want them just because they're vinyls haha

Treeunit
11-13-2007, 05:28 PM
I liked the music itself, but the recording was kinda bad.

i_don't_know
11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
I LOVED that! The only suggestion I can make is a little less screaming and more of those amazing vocals. Your frontman has a really nice tone. Let it be heard.

akkaquill
11-14-2007, 09:43 AM
so i looked into doing some limited edition vinyls, like only 50 or 100 made, but thats really expensive. i guess we're just gonna stick with cds

SkaSkate
11-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Uh, to be honest I was bored. I listened to three of the songs and got the impression you sound like a thousand other bands. Sure it's punk, but you could still add some variety into it, I play in a sorta punkish band too.

Congrats about getting some recording done though, it's all about fun, looks like you just had a few quick sessions. After a lot of slow track by track recordings me and the guys decided we should just record on one track, cause the singer/keyboard player was leaving the country, we got I think 10 songs in an hour and a half, about two-three takes for each.

akkaquill
11-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Uh, to be honest I was bored. I listened to three of the songs and got the impression you sound like a thousand other bands. Sure it's punk, but you could still add some variety into it, I play in a sorta punkish band too.

Congrats about getting some recording done though, it's all about fun, looks like you just had a few quick sessions. After a lot of slow track by track recordings me and the guys decided we should just record on one track, cause the singer/keyboard player was leaving the country, we got I think 10 songs in an hour and a half, about two-three takes for each.

yeah our stuff was really quick, we only did two sessions. we got all the drums and guitar in one session (11 songs) and did one take each for those, and the next time we did all the vocals and bass. the bass took a couple tries though because my girlfriend is our bassist and shes in college in minnesota so shes only back in town for the shows and then this one time for recording. she had no idea how to play half the songs haha, but its easy shit so we didn't have to many problems getting through it. overall it was really fun but i think i'm just gonna do it live next time because we don't know enough about recording to capture the real sound of our music.

riskitforabiscuit
11-14-2007, 09:08 PM

It was exactly the same as a riff I had worked with on a song of mine.

spanky_dan
11-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Wow, that was painful to listen to. It's fucked how this generation is brought up on this shitty music, which just breeds more and more, with bad imitations like this one.

JerseySucks
11-14-2007, 10:24 PM
way to sound like black flag just like 30 years later.

That was pretty good. the only thing that could really use some work is some of the growling. the breakdown could be a little more original too. that was a pretty damn good song for a small band like yourself though.

tubbyturd
11-15-2007, 05:25 AM
Is that a bad thing though?

akkaquill
11-15-2007, 11:09 AM

haha thanks, i consider that a compliment even though your intentions were ill, but i think you need to listen to black flag again

kag123
11-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I have just recently been getting into a little bit of punk and I can say that was pretty sweet.

The recording could use some improvement though.

hippyskater9244
11-15-2007, 11:34 AM

That was pretty good. the only thing that could really use some work is some of the growling. the breakdown could be a little more original too. that was a pretty damn good song for a small band like yourself though.

we are putting some mores songs up, our sound has changed a little