PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm...I'm looking at new guitars.

Skaterdude
10-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Alright, so I'm looking at a couple of guitars right now:

Ibanez PGM301

http://www.samash.com/images/items/lg_iban_pg_white.jpg

Ibanez JS1200

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/brand,zzounds/fit,400by400/JS1200CA-2244f49cc0ef62cfa97d12a251b47c05.jpg

Now, I'm a big Paul Gilbert fan. I'd love to have the PGM, but I'd also really like to have a tremolo bar. Now, the JS is also a sweet guitar with a trem, but it's 300 bucks more. The prices of both guitars are rather high for what my parents can afford for Christmas, so I'm trying to find something in between. I've looked at a couple of RG's, but I'm kind of unsure about them. I want a nice trem system, a sleek neck/body (preferably basswood), and some decent stock pickups so I don't have to spend $250 just getting them replaced.

Any help? I'll be sure to posi anyone who really helps out.

Anti-Hero
10-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Im sure you dont want to, but really, get a stratocaster. Seriously, Ive played hundreds of guitars, owned heaps, and I love strats. I really dont play that style of music, but I like the Gilbert model more than the Satriani.

Skaterdude
10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
I appreciate the thought, but Strats really don't match what I want for my favorite styles of music. I've played a few, and I simply don't like them. Call me crazy...

I prefer humbuckers over single coils anyway.

matosh.lee
10-28-2007, 08:23 PM
well if you are really cheap get it from a pawn shop and tell if it was a good guitar. i would go with the js 12 but to me they dont look that great. ibanez is more for bass guitars. might want to look into the other brands.

jpharaoh69
10-28-2007, 08:28 PM
90% of the time, sig models are way overpriced. keep that in mind.

anyway, if your not going to be shredding, that gilbert wont be that great. its made of basswood and it has f-holes, neither of which am i fond of, but you might be... basically it will be too warm sounding and not deep and dark enough for me. basically its halfway to being a strat - sans single coils.

the satriani's has the same feel to me. thin, basswood, dimarzios...too warm and bight for my taste.

if i were in your place, i'd get this http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASZ4020FM
thick mahogany body, maple/walnut neck through, super sexy looks. the only bad thing is the pickups arent "real" seymour duncans, but i assure you, theyre still great. for that little extra bite though, you could install new real duncans for like 200$, which would still make it less than the satriani.

rock_emerica
10-28-2007, 08:32 PM
get the first one

DantheMan
10-29-2007, 10:58 AM
might want to consider a telecaster also. you can get them with humbuckers already in or install something like the seymour duncan hot rail in place of the single coil on the bridge. i did that to a cheap mexican tele and it sounds great. keeps that fender twag but thickens up the overall tone as well.

usuckhugeonez
10-29-2007, 11:16 AM
didnt you just buy an SG?

probedbyalienworkshop
10-29-2007, 11:27 AM
i say you get a shecter,

im getting the c1-fr,

and by the way, you can get humbuckers for strats on ebay, they are the size of single coils to, its pretty cool

wakeskatesleep
10-29-2007, 11:42 AM
i say you get a shecter,

im getting the c1-fr,

and by the way, you can get humbuckers for strats on ebay, they are the size of single coils to, its pretty cool

they also make strats with humbuckers. but those pickups you're talkin about i think sound way better. they have em at guitar center too, they're like $100.

SNES4Life
10-29-2007, 11:44 AM
What exactly is your price range?

Skaterdude
10-29-2007, 12:00 PM
What exactly is your price range?

I'd say like one grand tops.