PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Help

Adrenaline
10-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Ok well ive got the chords down and i need some songs that are pretty easy but still good and entertaining haha..
My cousin said metallica had some easy songs to play and those were one of his first songs he learned and also theyre one of my favorite bands.
btw.. he's victoryrecords789 or something like that on SBC..
so if you have a link of any songs that are easy to know or a book i can buy to help me out please send some to me or let me know about them..
thanks for your help!
:-)

Skaterdude
10-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Any song by the White Stripes
Bob Dylan - Knocking On Heaven's Door
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Those are really easy.

michaelo
10-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Nothing else matters by metallica is pretty easy

MinusTheSkateboard
10-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Metallica - Some Kind Of Monster

skaterpunk118
10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
www.ultimate-guitar.com is amazing for tabs for every song imaginable. I'm yet to be let down by them. If you look in the top 100 they have some good, easy songs to play. maybe try iron man or enter sandman for now and then move up to master of puppets and harder songs.

wwpskater69
10-22-2007, 06:25 PM
first song i learned was wish you were here by pink floyd
simple chord song would be iron man by black sabbath
some led zeppelin main riffs could be easy to learn

ruckus.
10-22-2007, 06:27 PM
There is seriously a thread like this one a day. Someone should really think about stickying a beginners guitar help thread in the music forum.

zoo yorker
10-22-2007, 06:31 PM
Aerials - SOAD ----------------------------------You know whats worse than eating dead babies?
Iron Man - Black Sabbath. --------------------Eating live babies.
Sweet Dreams - Marilyn Manson ------------You know whats worse than eating live babies?
Seven Nation Army - White Stripes ---------Drinking live babies

iplaydrums
10-22-2007, 06:32 PM
There is seriously a thread like this one a day. Someone should really think about stickying a beginners guitar help thread in the music forum.

I agree.

nirvana12
10-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Blowin in the wind - bob dylan.
Great way to practice your chords.

There's probably more, but it's just the first song that comes to mind.

wwpskater69
10-22-2007, 06:35 PM
smells like teen spirit

Marevix
10-22-2007, 07:30 PM
"The" chords? You apparently don't realize that there are dozens of different chord types/shapes. With that said, the only thing that songs will help you with is raw muscle memory - picking rhythms, mainly. If you want to build lead technique and/or improvise, scales are the way to go.

Skaterdude
10-23-2007, 07:19 PM
"The" chords? You apparently don't realize that there are dozens of different chord types/shapes. With that said, the only thing that songs will help you with is raw muscle memory - picking rhythms, mainly. If you want to build lead technique and/or improvise, scales are the way to go.

He's just starting out, give him a break. Shit.

How the hell do songs work muscle memory? Learning different songs from different artists only introduces you to new ideas and new ways to play. Running scales is important in building speed, but not nearly as important as finding out how different sounds can be made. Scales WILL eventually play a big factor (Especially the modes), but at this point, this kid shouldn't have to even worry about them. Besides, I wouldn't still be playing guitar if I just started one day and decided to run scales over and over. I learned songs that I liked, and it kept me interested. Scales come later.

Marevix
10-23-2007, 08:26 PM
He's just starting out, give him a break. Shit.

How the hell do songs work muscle memory? Learning different songs from different artists only introduces you to new ideas and new ways to play. Running scales is important in building speed, but not nearly as important as finding out how different sounds can be made. Scales WILL eventually play a big factor (Especially the modes), but at this point, this kid shouldn't have to even worry about them. Besides, I wouldn't still be playing guitar if I just started one day and decided to run scales over and over. I learned songs that I liked, and it kept me interested. Scales come later.

I don't see how copying someone else's work note-for-note is necessary (or, for that matter, conductive) to develop a playing style. If there's a specific style or technique that I want to emulate, I'd sooner learn the scales/chords/etc. used to write it in the first place and apply it to my own work. From my experience, learning songs doesn't give me any better understanding of how to write music or adapt the techniques to my own playing. All it does is develop the muscle memory in playing the end-product of the techniques and creativity that the music is derived from.

With that said, none of this is actually relevant to enjoying the instrument. This kid seems like he's playing guitar for fun, and becoming technically proficient isn't at all necessary to do that. I'm simply giving my opinion on how someone would go about achieving that.

Skaterdude
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't see how copying someone else's work note-for-note is necessary (or, for that matter, conductive) to develop a playing style. If there's a specific style or technique that I want to emulate, I'd sooner learn the scales/chords/etc. used to write it in the first place and apply it to my own work. From my experience, learning songs doesn't give me any better understanding of how to write music or adapt the techniques to my own playing. All it does is develop the muscle memory in playing the end-product of the techniques and creativity that the music is derived from.

With that said, none of this is actually relevant to enjoying the instrument. This kid seems like he's playing guitar for fun, and becoming technically proficient isn't at all necessary to do that. I'm simply giving my opinion on how someone would go about achieving that.

I make it a habit to not use tabs. That way, I'm not copying anyone note-for-note and I can apply my own style to it.

From my experience, learning songs doesn't give me any better understanding of how to write music or adapt the techniques to my own playing.

Sounds like you need to learn more songs bud. I wouldn't have any idea of how to throw out a good riff if it wasn't for all of the songs I've learned from.

And shouldn't EVERYONE be playing guitar because it's fun? If I wasn't having fun, I would have no initiative to improve. If you're bored with it, it's a waste of time.

eberg15101
10-24-2007, 07:07 PM
the way learning songs help is so you can get rythym down then apply it

then learn lead

youll be a sucky lead if you cant play rythym

but some easy songs are

rock n roll damnation- acdc

paranoid- black sabbath

free ride by edgar winter group

eh there not too hard to find easy ones liek that

a good book you can buy is troy statina's metal rythym guitar

then troy statina lead metal

there really helpful

riskitforabiscuit
10-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Nothing else matters by metallica is pretty easy
I wouldn't recommend all of it to a beginner.