PDA

View Full Version : Recording Question Please Help

BAKAAA
10-21-2007, 02:51 PM
ok so i downloaded audicity and now i wanna start recording. and i heard theres a thing i need to get to convert my 1/4 inch mic or guitar cord to the headphone sized mic jack. one of my friends was saying this shit how i would need to buy some like 300 dollar thing just to do that but another friend said i can just buy a cheap converter to do it. can anyone else who records on their computer please clear this up for me?

smitherson
10-21-2007, 03:05 PM
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103237&cp=&parentPage=search

I'm not sure, but that appears to be what you're looking for. And for 7 dollars.

edit: actually I myself could use that haha.

BAKAAA
10-21-2007, 05:17 PM
thank you my friend.

Marevix
10-21-2007, 06:27 PM
You need a recording input on your sound card (onboard sound won't work). You'll also want a preamp and a compressor for the microphone if you want to get a decent sound from it. You need a 1/4 -> 1/8" adapter (or XLR -> 1/8") for the connection to the sound card, assuming that it's not high enough quality to have XLR or RCA inputs. Buy the M-Audio Revolution ($100 audio interface) if you want a very good price on a fairly good input/output sound PCI card.

smitherson
10-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Marevix would on my comp. theres a input jack with a microphone as the label, so I'm guessing its specifically for recording audio. Would that work or would I have to get a sound card or whatever?

Anti-Hero
10-21-2007, 07:15 PM
you already have a sound card, yours just may already have an input.

Marevix
10-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Marevix would on my comp. theres a input jack with a microphone as the label, so I'm guessing its specifically for recording audio. Would that work or would I have to get a sound card or whatever?

That will work, but unless it's designed for recording quality, you'll lose at least some of the audio quality from your microphone/cables/amplifier/etc.

riskitforabiscuit
10-22-2007, 02:19 AM
A 1/4 inch adapter should cost less than a dollar.