PDA

View Full Version : Where can i start?

Peruvian Skater
10-19-2007, 04:57 PM
i want to learn how to play guitar. I have lots of friends who play and could teach me and i have a of free time. so could anyone help me on where and h ow to start? or any good guitars to start out with? would be greatly appreciated as i have no knowledge of guitars. but i do play an instrument

Marevix
10-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Get a cheap guitar to start with, in case you don't like it.

Assuming that you have a good enough ear to recognize the pitch of E from your prior music experience, you can tune to standard E without one of those expensive chromatic/pedal tuners by tuning the low string to E. Then, press the fifth fret and play the first and second strings, adjusting the second string until they're the same pitch. Continue with second/third and third/fourth, hold the fourth fret instead of fifth fret for fourth string to fifth, and then fifth fret again from fifth string to sixth.

As for actual practice, work on learning basic scales (like the minor scale) in various keys. Then, you'll have a set of notes to play melodies anywhere on the string (and help train your ear in the process - eventually, you'll recognize pitches). Work on picking rhythms with basic chords, especially if you want to play metal. After you've got the basics down, you can work on more advanced techniques like sweep picking and string skipping.

eberg15101
10-19-2007, 06:44 PM
allright if you have a piano/keyboard you can tune your guitar by that,

then go buy like a chord book and learn some basic chords, then learn power chords, then learn some simple songs, and once you get decent at rythym guitar then go buy a scale book and start learning leads,

or just invest in some lessons

MysterySkate16
10-19-2007, 06:47 PM
ultimateguitar dot com has tabs and a tab is the guitar neck upside down with the number fret to hold down its quite simple if you dont get what im saying pm me

flipsta14
10-19-2007, 07:42 PM
ultimateguitar dot com has tabs and a tab is the guitar neck upside down with the number fret to hold down its quite simple if you dont get what im saying pm me

I think you mean Ultimate-guitar.com

jpharaoh69
10-20-2007, 07:23 AM
http://www.skateboard-city.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=101565