PDA

View Full Version : The evolution of one's musical taste

SkaSkate
10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
I just got the idea in the death metal thread. How did your choice of music change as years passed? It's kinda amusing to look back on it.

Treeunit
10-14-2007, 01:44 PM
pop --> rap --> rock --> rock/metal ---> heavy/death metal --> rock/metal --> punk + ska + metal + rock + rap

Marevix
10-14-2007, 01:46 PM
2004 - Techno, Slipknot
2005 - Slipknot, Slayer
2006 - All types of metal
2007 - More/All types of metal, a little jazz, some neoclassical, a little ska, a little funk

Habitat.skater.69
10-14-2007, 01:52 PM
pop-light rock-hip hop-rap-alternative rock-rap-metal-heavy/death metal

Ipswitch
10-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Before I started drums, I was into all sorts of random music. Then, I started drums and my teacher introduced me to jazz and funk playing, so he suggested me some basic jazz albums like Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". Then it just went on from there.

smitherson
10-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Well, I first started realizing what I liked back when American Idiot came out in 04. I got hooked on Green Day for a while, then I moved into progressive metal I think with bands like Protest the Hero and stuff. Next I think was a System of a Down phase. Then I got into other metal again and eventually found hardcore. Went to a show and was instantly hooked. Now I've thrown grindcore into the mix. I still like all the stuff I mentioned above other than Green Day

adude113
10-14-2007, 02:35 PM
1st grade-3rd grade I was really into pop music, like Brittney Spears, Backstreet Boys, etc. 4th-mid 6th grade I was really into rap music (I was obsessed with Eminem lol). Then mid 6th-8th grade I mainly listened to alternative, pop-punk, and emo. Then in the middle of 8th grade I started listening to more kinds of rock (punk, hardcore, hard rock, psychedelic, gothic, etc.), and some metal. Now I listen to most kinds of metal and rock, except hair metal.

SkaSkate
10-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Before I started drums, I was into all sorts of random music. Then, I started drums and my teacher introduced me to jazz and funk playing, so he suggested me some basic jazz albums like Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue". Then it just went on from there.

So, when you took on drum lessons, what did you expect? Did you want to learn a certain style before being introduced to funk and jazz or did you just wanna learn to play anything?

I'll quote myself to answer my thread:

I was born and raised with classical rock such as Beatles, Cream, Kinks, Monkees, Animals, what my dad rocks out to. I listened to rock bands like Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, The Who and such when I was around 10-13, even Metallica and heavier stuff like Slipknot, Sepultura, even... Korn... yuck. I later got into punk for a short while, then came the ska I still enjoy (not too many bands though), and now I'm into a bit of rock, some ska and lots of funk and jazz.

Ipswitch
10-14-2007, 02:58 PM
So, when you took on drum lessons, what did you expect? Did you want to learn a certain style before being introduced to funk and jazz or did you just wanna learn to play anything?

I'll quote myself to answer my thread:

I dont think I really had a specific genre I wanted to study. I just wanted to learn drums. I started with basic rock beats, and that kind of stuff. It was cool, but it wasn't nearly as fun as when I first was learning jazz.

almost_a_user_name
10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
alternative rock/metal that was on the radio
new punk like good charlotte and blink 182 that was on MTV...i am ashamed :(
metal like on V-Rock in GTA vice city(iron maiden, judas priest, motley crue)
slayer and metallica
more thrash
death and black metal

i still listen to all of the music i listed except the new punk

Fly_in_My_Soup
10-14-2007, 03:11 PM
pop and hip hop
alternative and rock
mainstream rock
metal and rock
punk
ska

SkaSkate
10-14-2007, 03:12 PM
^ It's good to see the light, ain't it =P

I dont think I really had a specific genre I wanted to study. I just wanted to learn drums. I started with basic rock beats, and that kind of stuff. It was cool, but it wasn't nearly as fun as when I first was learning jazz.

Yea, rock beats are the obvious way to start, easy, but way less entertaining than jazz. There's virtualy nothing that can't be incorporated in a jazz beat. One of the drummers I know even tried using a double pedal when we jammed once. He used it in just the right places and the session turned out very fun, in an unusual way.

balkan
10-14-2007, 04:05 PM
i started out pretty much listening to whatever was on the top 40 radio station. then i switched over to the strictly rock station, where i first heard killswitch engage. i bought their album, and completely hated the screaming. after a while, i learned to like it, and fell in love with pretty much any metalcore band i heard. then i started listening to the local hardcore bands. somehow that progressed to death metal, and grindcore. now i pretty much listen to all of the above except for anything on the radiol.

Fudopi
10-14-2007, 04:31 PM
rock > mainstream rap > underground rap/some rock.

Krux94
10-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Rap-->Rock-->Emo-->Metal/Punk

Skatebraydenskate
10-14-2007, 04:35 PM
alternative--rock--rap--mainstream--screamo--metal--what im feelin

SoHereIAm
10-14-2007, 04:39 PM
5-6th grade-GOOD CHARLOTTE, Blink-182, Fall Out Boy. Haha fall out boy goddamn. I thought I was the shit.
7th Grade-I met ska/punk/good punk-Catch 22, Sublime, Streetlight Manifesto, Planet Smashers, Suburban Legends, Brand New, Big D and the Kids Table
8th Grade-Strike Anywhere, Say Anything, Five Iron Frenzy, moooore brand new
summer before 9th grade-Descendents, A Wilhelm Scream, more Catch 22, Black Flag, Dead Kennedy's
9th Grade-nothin much so far, just staaarted

dustydust
10-14-2007, 04:45 PM
6th grade - good charlotte. hahaha.
7th grade - sum41
8th grade - sum41, new found glory, more gay shit like that
9th grade - a whole lot of arctic monkeys
10th grade(now) - reggae, some ska, a lot of indie shit.

flipsta14
10-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Hard rock -> Classic Metal -> Thrash -> Black/Death/Thrash Metal

Dr. Foundation
10-14-2007, 04:53 PM
6th- fucking my chemical romance and company.
7th- started listening to some ok things. But it still was pretty bad.
8th- Listened to an assortment of differnt kinds of music that was real good.
9th- Still listen to a lot of different things that are real good.

rippen in da mitten
10-14-2007, 04:54 PM
alternetive,classic rock,meatl(any kind) and a bit of hip hop has been my taste of music throughout my life.one of my favorite songs as a kid was stone cold crazy by queen

skate.or.die!
10-14-2007, 04:59 PM
metal old school punk

ruckus.
10-14-2007, 05:26 PM
When I was really little, I was totally into all the boy bands and Britney Spears and shit. It was totally hot.

Later on, I was totally into Avril Lavigne. I thought she was all bad-ass.

Realized Avril Lavigne was not badass. Started listening to Good Charlotte.

Started listening to System of a Down.

Found Grunge.

Found Pantera.

Arch Enemy, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, Slayer, Slipknot.

Children of Bodom, Strapping Young Lad.

Necrophagist, Dying Fetus, Amon Amarth, Cephalic Carnage, Nile, Cannibal Corpse.

JerseySucks
10-14-2007, 06:07 PM
I progressed pretty fast since I had old brothers and napster..

Age 5-7 All over the place, Aerosmith, Green Day, and Biggy were heavy in my playlist.

Age 7-9 Discovered ''Punk'' on napster, began liking Pennywise, Rancid, Afi, Bad Religion, NOFX, Blink 182, The Misfits, The Clash, others. Also listened to stuff my brothers liked, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Ozzy, Rob Zombie, Alien Ant Farm, some other stuff. This age is when I really started discovering/liking decent music.

Age 9-11, Still liked mostly Punk, I bought System of a Down's album Toxicity, fell in love with it. Also bought Sum 41's All Killer No Filler, loved this as well. I later bought Avenged Sevenfold's Waking the Fallen, thought it was one of the illest CDs ever. Too bad they are fags now, and have the gayest fanbase ever. (if Pinkeh sees this she can vouch for this. haha)

11-13. Huge time for me discovering music. Began listening to underground rap, Atmosphere, MF Doom, Aesop Rock, Common, etc. I also liked more mainstream stuff like Wu Tang. I still listened to mostly punk. My brother began listening to metal, I began liking some of that as well. I discovered ska, made me wish I never stopped playing the trumpet. I first listened to The Fall of Troy during this time. <33

14-15. Where I'm at now. I listen to a lot of Indie/Math Rock/Experimental/Hardcore stuff. Still listen to some underground Hip Hop sometimes, some metal, etc. Pretty wide range of music taste..

akkaquill
10-14-2007, 06:09 PM
rhcp -> punk

and then i stopped

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
10-14-2007, 06:12 PM
popish bands - pop punk - punk/street punk/Oi!, pop punk - Ska/punk, pop punk - Reggae, Ska, Jazz, pop punk.

BAKAAA
10-14-2007, 06:15 PM
11 and under-
i listened to lots of different stuff but a lot of classic rock because thats what my dad was always playing. i listened to rap occasionally.

11-13
pop punk like green day, blink 182. i also listened to simple plan for part of that time alot.

13-14
punk. real punk. like some local bands, black flag, minor threat, fear, X, the germs, circle jerks.

14-15
for awhile when i was 14 i was in a hip hop stage and i listened to loads of hip hop but that didn't last that long. then a little after freshman year started i started listening to a lot of screamo-ish bands. and a lot of indie. then around the time i turned 15 i started listening to grindcore, death, and hardcore.

right now i'm going to be 16 in like 3 months and i listen to almost anything. including...

hardcore
a little screamo
death metal
indie
acoustic
soft rock
hip hop
and just whatever sounds good.

Gothic Romance
10-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Alright this is sorta gay.
I got into underoath a while back.
Then I was limewiring them and found some of their old stuff and it thats what got me into more metal.
then metal eventually leads to pretty much death metal/grindcore/etc.

Anti-Hero
10-14-2007, 06:36 PM
I havent really stopped listening to anything I used to per say, not entire genres at least, maybe specific bands. My taste just broadened, I started listening to more and different genres and eventually I got to where I am now, where I listen to a couple funk bands, some jazz, some delta blues, lots of hip hop, lots of psychedelic and classic rock, bad brains and some indie/brit pop stuff and thats pretty much it. Some prog too, early ELP, King Crimson whatever.

Taaffe
10-14-2007, 06:36 PM
6-8: boy bands *shudders*
8-10: linkin park, bowling for soup, eminem. just mainstream stuff
11-12: wigger stage with a little bit of rock. green day, hoobastank, afi.
13: discovered A7X. heard more AFI songs
14 (now): i listen to everything. except country music, bluegrass, jazz, classical.

RiseWithTheFallen.
10-14-2007, 06:44 PM
1999 - 2006 > Slipknot , Korn , Cradle Of Filth , Etc.

Late 06 - 2007 > Andre Nickatina , See You Next Tuesday , Norma Jean , Leftover Crack , Alesana , Necrophagist , Children Of Bodom , The Misfits , Mayhem , Killwhitneydead , Etc.

Big ass change.

Treeunit
10-14-2007, 06:47 PM
1999 - 2006 > Slipknot , Korn , Cradle Of Filth , Etc.

Late 06 - 2007 > Andre Nickatina , See You Next Tuesday , Norma Jean , Leftover Crack , Alesana , Necrophagist , Children Of Bodom , The Misfits , Mayhem , Killwhitneydead , Etc.

Big ass change.

weren't you like ... 6 or 7 in 1999?

woop tang
10-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Used to like Jazz when I was a little kid, then started listening to rap when I was 5. Listened to a couple metal songs in 5th and 6th grade. But I'm still mostly into rap for the most part.

RiseWithTheFallen.
10-14-2007, 06:49 PM
Yup.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-14-2007, 06:50 PM
Oldies > rap > nu-metal > classic rock > thrash metal > punk > indie > death metal > grindcore

I am still into the last 5 genres though, and SOME rap.. the only nu-metal I'll ever listen to is SOAD's Toxicity album.

EDIT: By ">" I mean thats the order it went.. didn't mean it by "whats better".

Treeunit
10-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Oldies > rap > nu-metal > classic rock > thrash metal > punk > indie > death metal > grindcore

I am still into the last 5 genres though, and SOME rap.. the only nu-metal I'll ever listen to is SOAD's Toxicity album.

are those arrows, or did you just say rap > classic rock...if it's the latter than fuck you and all that you stand for.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-14-2007, 06:58 PM
are those arrows, or did you just say rap > classic rock...if it's the latter than fuck you and all that you stand for.

Oh sorry, its meant to be arrows, not "this is better than this".

Ipswitch
10-14-2007, 07:16 PM
I dunno if you guys knew this or not, but RATTM and I are best friends. We have the same taste in music too, which is pretty cool.

Anti-Hero
10-14-2007, 07:46 PM
whoa, i didnt realize till just now taht your user name was named for Ipswitch, Mass. I thought it was IP switch, like you changed your IP or something to make a new account. Im gonna be in Boston from halloween probably.

Ipswitch
10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
Nah i'm not from Ipswitch mass. I'm from Andover. There was a little park I used to skate a lot called Ipswitch River Park which is in Andover.. back when I still skated.

rock_emerica
10-14-2007, 07:59 PM
pop punk > alt rock, punk, ska punk

drizzle
10-14-2007, 08:02 PM
radio > super gay nu metal/slipknot > Metal in general > GWAR > UPDAPUNXLOL/thrash metal/ska/ska punk.

JerseySucks
10-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Nah i'm not from Ipswitch mass. I'm from Andover. There was a little park I used to skate a lot called Ipswitch River Park which is in Andover.. back when I still skated.

I thought your name meant like.

I pee switch. As in like, taking a piss while riding switch stance..

Ipswitch
10-14-2007, 08:11 PM
I thought your name meant like.

I pee switch. As in like, taking a piss while riding switch stance..

Hahaha, nooo. Maybe a capital "I" would change people's interpretations of the name..

codyguy
10-14-2007, 08:26 PM
mainstream everything-"classic" rock- metal- prog rock/metal, thrash, melodeath, whatever the fuck else i want to listen to

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-14-2007, 08:30 PM
I dunno if you guys knew this or not, but RATTM and I are best friends. We have the same taste in music too, which is pretty cool.

Almost twins.

Roboman
10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
After I started to take notice of music it went:

Rock Variants and Alternate Electronica. Like Powderfinger, Living End, Silverchair, Enigma, RHCP, Placebo.

Then to Heavier Rock and other things. P.O.D, Rammstein, 36 Crazyfists and A Perfect Circle. As well as Regurgitator and Propellerheads and Prodigy.

Then using the In Flames discography backwards as a ramp from nu-metal to melodic metal, listening to Dark Tranquility and Arch Enemy and Soilworks old stuff. I liked the powerful sound but musical intelligence that they seemed to have. As well as discovering Mogwai (without being aware of post rock) and also Karnivool and that area of Australian hard rock (which seems to be characteristically more melodic).

Then found Insomnium as my favourite metal band, and that path stopped there after I just couldn't stand metal vocals anymore. They really started irritating me. Mr.Bungle was next, and after that I pretty much threw the idea of sticking to certain genres out the window. Although my favourite area of music is post-rock by FAR, as it had the epic power that I liked about metal, but mainly vocal-less and written with a lot more creativity.

Skater_goth
10-15-2007, 02:27 AM
When I first heard music I thought it was always pretty good.

I started listening to Eminem and liked it because of the singing about baddness in the world and swearing. But later I listened to the words and it felt deep to me. Then I started really getting into the beats and stuff and started on pop music because it was easy available to me.
When I actually got into some decent music it was because I was on stickdeath and there was the best song I had ever heard playing it was down with the sickness-disturbed. I then went out and bought down with the sickness album and it was soo soo good I still listen to it today. I got into really heavy metal as a 12 year old kid and loved it. After a while I got into a bit of punk and from there went to emo I listened to emo mixed in with metal for quite a long time till at least begginning of this year but now I hate most emo shit and like heavy stuff going back to my roots in which I came from. Also there is an ocasional punk song that would stand out to me, all that new age shit is horrible but I am talking about The ramones and Bad Religion.

bush pig
10-15-2007, 03:24 AM
I wasn't much into music, asides from The Offspring and Linkin Park untill year 8-9. I got early rock/Heavy Metal. Some Alt Rock and hardcore/metal core. But the 'core's died down fast and I find it quite the lulz now.

Then Heavy Metal, Psychedelic

Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Progressive Rock/Metal, Psychedelic, Jazz and Blues. Aswell as Rock (theres some other random metal I like but I can't be bothered listing, and you look like tools naming every strand of genre in the same type of music). Are now my thing.

But Prog is now my thing.

bakerskater
10-15-2007, 10:16 AM
mainstream rock and rap --> emo/screamo and punk --> christain/emo/punk

tubbyturd
10-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Metal -> hardcore punk -> punk -> psychobilly -> rockabilly.

I listen to everything now except for metal. I've always been really into classic rock, blues, and folk.

igrindtwinkies
10-15-2007, 10:51 AM
nirvana - punk - rap and punk - grunge - rap and 70's shit - mainly rap and grunge and classic rock

H3TT1NG3R
10-15-2007, 11:01 AM
no preferance till about 8th grade.
i liked metal. or just rock, not too heavy
then 9th grade i liked hevear stuff like tool and alice in chains and stuff
then now i like all my old stuff + grindcore and heavy metal and screamo, and hardcore and suc\h