PDA

View Full Version : Genres you just dont understand

EdUmacatedd
10-09-2007, 04:49 PM
i love hardcore/screamo/metalcore, which lots of people seem to dislike. For me it would be rap. rap is so annoying to me. i hate hearing the words nigga,fuck,money,weed,and club so many times in one song. They rap the chorus like 100 times, i dont know, i just really hate it.

Snowskate to Destiny
10-09-2007, 04:51 PM
You are just listening to bad rap music. Way to make a generalization.

sucka mothafcka stopper
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I think it's more of an opinion than it is a generalization.

I agree with you 100% on newer rap being shitty. Older rap is pretty great, if you listen to the right stuff.

pinkeh
10-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Genres I don't understand........ okay, country. I was sitting in my tech ed class one day while the teacher was giving us this huge lecture about how we need to focus or something, but in the background she had some country music playing, and I shit you not, they were singing about biscuits and gravy.

Biscuits and gravy?????

Ipswitch
10-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Metal, hardcore, screamo, etc.

EdUmacatedd
10-09-2007, 04:59 PM

I agree with you 100% on newer rap being shitty. Older rap is pretty great, if you listen to the right stuff.

yeah like tupac isnt to bad

drowning_fish
10-09-2007, 05:00 PM
"Hip hop aint dead, it just started"

V3
10-09-2007, 05:04 PM
I cant stand sean paul.
its not a genre, but i cant stand him

MullenSucks
10-09-2007, 05:05 PM

"Newer" rap is better than any "oldschool" shit. Beats are so much better and rappers are sicker than ever. There's a lot more garbage, yeah, but thats because its more mainstream so more people are trying it that shouldn't be.

drowning_fish
10-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Word, rap is just changing. Not getting better or worse. I think abstract hip hop is going to become more popular in the near future... But I really have no idea. I'd like it too though

MullenSucks
10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Word, rap is just changing. Not getting better or worse. I think abstract hip hop is going to become more popular in the near future... But I really have no idea. I'd like it too though

I like the more blended shit, like trip hop. Morcheeba is so fucking sick.

adude113
10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Grindcore. I like almost all kinds of metal/hardcore, but I don't really like grindcore. It just sounds like noise to me. Maybe I haven't listened to enough of it to really appreciate/judge it.

drowning_fish
10-09-2007, 05:19 PM
Is trip hop like Slowdeck? Sounds like it. But yeah, that's good shit. Digital technology has def impacted beatmaking and producing. Like the emergence of PC DJ's haha

I think I've heard of Morcheeba but never listened

Snowskate to Destiny
10-09-2007, 05:25 PM
I just dont understand reggae. I can never get into it.

codyguy
10-09-2007, 05:27 PM
i don't get black metal and hardcore/grindcore stuff. most of it seems like they're just trying to play as fast and heavy as possible.(i apologize if anybody's offended by me generalizing them together).
i also don't understand mainstream rap. bitches 'n hoes this, grills 'n rims that. with such a vocal-centric genre, they manage not to talk about anything meaningful.

BROBOT
10-09-2007, 05:28 PM

reggae is awesome.

country music sucks

SoHereIAm
10-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't get country music.

pinkeh
country music sucks

BISCUITS AND GRAVY?!!??!

drowning_fish

Duuuude what the hell? I l absolutely love reggae. Hell, I'm listening to 10 ft. Ganja Plant right now

Snowskate to Destiny
10-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Yeah, Im not saying it sucks or anything, I just cant never get into the beat or anything. Reccomend me some bands if you arent busy. Not Bob Marley either.

BROBOT
10-09-2007, 05:34 PM
bob marley is a given

toots and the maytals are awesome.

stephen marley and damien marley

UB40

slightly stoopid is okay

i could recommend more...

Snowskate to Destiny
10-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Duuuude what the hell? I l absolutely love reggae. Hell, I'm listening to 10 ft. Ganja Plant right now
lol, I didnt notice that part at first. Thats probably why I dont like it, way to stoner for me.

BROBOT
10-09-2007, 05:37 PM
lol, I didnt notice that part at first. Thats probably why I dont like it, way to stoner for me.

check out "54-46 was my number" and "funky kingston" by toots and the maytals

BROBOT
10-09-2007, 05:38 PM
i don't really like ska.

it's like hardcore punk... for kids.

thats what i think of whenever i hear it. i know a lot of people like it. sorry

Skater_goth
10-09-2007, 05:39 PM
-Pop
-All rap and hiphop
-chick music(for example. mariah carey, kylie minogue, rhianna, fergie and such...)

pinkeh
10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
-Pop
-All rap and hiphop
-chick music(for example. mariah carey, kylie minogue, rhianna, fergie and such...)

Not for nothing, but I really don't understand that shit either.

drowning_fish
10-09-2007, 05:41 PM
You're probably listening to the 3rd wave shit like Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake and stuff... Chec kout some 2nd wave/two-tone bands. I've been feeling it way more than 3rd wave lately. 2nd Wave is ska at it's finest

And it's not like all reggae lyrics are "Smoke two joints in the morning, smoke two joints at night..." A lot are really uplifting and peaceful. Also, you have to get used to the off-beat guitar. Maybe that's what throws you off haha. They strum it at the up-beat not the down.

BROBOT
10-09-2007, 05:51 PM
You're probably listening to the 3rd wave shit like Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake and stuff... Chec kout some 2nd wave/two-tone bands. I've been feeling it way more than 3rd wave lately. 2nd Wave is ska at it's finest

And it's not like all reggae lyrics are "Smoke two joints in the morning, smoke two joints at night..." A lot are really uplifting and peaceful. Also, you have to get used to the off-beat guitar. Maybe that's what throws you off haha. They strum it at the up-beat not the down.

less than jake is ska?
i have one of their albums. i havent listened to it in forever though.

i just can't get into ska. which one is streetlight manifesto? not really into them.

Dr. Foundation
10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
I love levan's polka. I don't care if it's not a genre. It should be though because it's so gnarlia.

drowning_fish
10-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Streetlight Manifesto to be honest is barely cutting into ska, in my opinion. They're on new shit almost entirely

Less Than Jake is 3rd wave. I think they changed though, I don't know. I never really liked them that much save that one album Pez Rock or whatever

But I really don't think you've ever heard 2 tone . It's not like punk music at all. It's just ska

BROBOT
10-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Streetlight Manifesto to be honest is barely cutting into ska, in my opinion. They're on new shit almost entirely

Less Than Jake is 3rd wave. I think they changed though, I don't know. I never really liked them that much save that one album Pez Rock or whatever

But I really don't think you've ever heard 2 tone . It's not like punk music at all. It's just ska

yeah, pezcore. thats the the one i have.

reccommend me some 2nd wave to check out?

Gothic Romance
10-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Someone reccommend me some good rap, not the mainstream bullshit.(old school is love though)

guitaristontherun
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Modern emo.
Grunge.

p-rodfan

i completely agree, the new, mainstream rap's lyrics are terrible, some of the beats are better, but i think lyrics are more important in rap and hip hop. If you listen to 80s rap or 90s rap, the lyrics make more sense, sound better, and are just better overall in my opinion.

an example of the new mainstream stuff is "this is why i'm hot". i think its total crap.

drowning_fish
-The Specials are classic
-Madness is sick
-Bad Manners is one of my favorites

d-ville skater
10-09-2007, 06:04 PM
That Jamacan Hip-Hop shit like Akon and Sean Pual... when did this get so big?

And most rap and hip-hop that all they do is repeat the same chorus the whole song and they refer to there other hit songs, I hate it.

Non-Mainstream Hip-Hop, Rap, Trip-Hop... now thats good shit that you should respect. Takes talent to do that stuff.

Gothic Romance
10-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Non-Mainstream Hip-Hop, Rap, Trip-Hop... now thats good shit that you should respect. Takes talent to do that stuff.
Recommend me some?

drowning_fish
10-09-2007, 06:09 PM
El-P, Aesop Rock, Charizma and Peanut Butter Wolf, Dutchmassive, Yak Ballz, Weathermen, etc. etc.

Just what came off the top of my head

Gothic Romance
10-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Dude, Dutchmassive, wins!

drowning_fish
10-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Yay

Also was listening to Sweatshop Union the other day for the first time in mad long. Reminded me how kickass they were

Nesta.
10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
i don't really like ska.

funky kignston pwns
so do the toots
and UB40
and all the marleys
and 10 ft ganja plant
and pretty much all reggae

i never could understand any music with any screaming at all in it, and why anyone would want to listen to it. just my opinion, though

BROBOT
10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
El-P, Aesop Rock, Charizma and Peanut Butter Wolf, Dutchmassive, Yak Ballz, Weathermen, etc. etc.

Just what came off the top of my head

heiroglyphics

drizzle
10-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Nu metal.

be rap or be metal, just stop being fags.

WhiteTrash
10-09-2007, 06:52 PM
It's not that I don't understand rap, I'm just not a fan of it.

drowning_fish
10-09-2007, 06:58 PM
heiroglyphics

I love Hieroglyphics

tubbyturd
10-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Techno. I just can't get into the beeps and boops of it.

I also don't like any of the new country I hear. I'm really into the old stuff, though. There's also this country band I've been really into that combines bluegrass and punk.

UnDeRgRoUnD NeTwOrK
10-10-2007, 04:56 AM
i don't really like ska.

I respect your opinion but your description completely escapes me. Ska predates punk so I don't see how it would be hardcore punk for kids. The styles of playing are different. The only ska that could be associated with Hardcore Punk is some 3rd wave bands. Thats about it.

I personally can't stand any hardcore unless it has some good musicianship.

TiggimusOliverousMaximus
10-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Mainstream Hip-Hop. I can listen to some stuff (especially Snoop Dogg & Jay-Z), but 99% of it I can't stand either from being overplayed or just plain sucking.

One I absolutely CANNOT stand is Bubblegum Pop. All rainbows and unicorns and cotton candy (translation = Hell). Makes me want to go in and start belting out a drunken rendition of Dropkick Murphy's Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced or some Dethklok.

GO-COMMANDO
10-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Genres I don't understand are Punk/Hardcore punk, pop rock/punk, hardcore, and rap (yes, even underground, old school, trip hop or whatever the hell it's called, it all sounds like the same shit to me).

almost_a_user_name
10-10-2007, 10:01 AM
i dont understand any genre with "core" in it. to me thats just short for "our singer sucks"

oh and modern "emo" bands or what is called the new wave of punk. that shits horrible

himhkd
10-10-2007, 10:03 AM
mainstream

i hate it

all of it

pinkeh
10-10-2007, 10:22 AM
What I don't understand is when people will dislike the entire mainstream, as if anything popular must always be shit, and anything underground must always be good. Sure there's lots of shit out there that's mainstream, but there's also plenty of underground shit that sucks just as bad. Just because its unpopular doesn't automatically mean its good and just because its popular doesn't mean the opposite. Don't be fucking stupid.

black_world_skater
10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, Im not saying it sucks or anything, I just cant never get into the beat or anything. Reccomend me some bands if you arent busy. Not Bob Marley either.
Peter Tosh

p-rodfan
10-10-2007, 10:29 AM
yeah, good point, i agree.

the thing about rap though is that most of the stuff i listen to aren't really underground but they're old like 80s and 90s, so nobody listens to them anymore. i don't consider it underground though

to pinkeh

bakerskater
10-10-2007, 10:32 AM
i dislike rap, hip hop, r & b, and pop
i'm not saying they suck, i just can't get into them

p-rodfan
10-10-2007, 10:33 AM

burning spear, lone ranger, sound dimension, the other marleys (damian, stephen, ziggy), toots and the maytals.

thats a few