PDA

View Full Version : Bass help

GetThunderStruck
10-08-2007, 04:38 PM
How would some more advanced bassists recommend learning and staying consistent?

I have some guitar background, and a little acoustic too.

How did you learn? What are some good, basic songs to learn first?

sucka mothafcka stopper
10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Just get sheet music, or tabs which are more readily available, from bands you like, and if it looks like you can play it, give it a shot. Once you get good enough you won't even need the tabs. I've been playing bass for about 7 years and I still do the same exact thing, it never gets old for me.

You can also try different techniques when you think you're ready. There are soooo many great things you can do on a bass, slapping, two hand tapping, harmonics basically anywhere on the string if you're good with harmonics, it's endless.

Skating_Panda
10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
just find songs that you like, learn them, maybe learn some music theory

GetThunderStruck
10-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Just get sheet music, or tabs which are more readily available, from bands you like, and if it looks like you can play it, give it a shot. Once you get good enough you won't even need the tabs. I've been playing bass for about 7 years and I still do the same exact thing, it never gets old for me.

You can also try different techniques when you think you're ready. There are soooo many great things you can do on a bass, slapping, two hand tapping, harmonics basically anywhere on the string if you're good with harmonics, it's endless.

I can't read sheet music, but I do have a box of a couple tabs. I've already gotten into a little bit of slapping, and that brings me to my next point.

How do I actually apply slapping? I know how to do it, but I can't seem to find a situation in which I can use it. Right now, I basically just mess around with it.

So, could you think of a few basic songs for me, maybe beginner to novice level? Something that has slight difficulty, so I actually learn.

I can play about 5 songs right now, my best is probably the riff to "N.I.B." by Black Sabbath.

Comfortably Numb
10-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I can't read sheet music, but I do have a box of a couple tabs. I've already gotten into a little bit of slapping, and that brings me to my next point.

How do I actually apply slapping? I know how to do it, but I can't seem to find a situation in which I can use it. Right now, I basically just mess around with it.

So, could you think of a few basic songs for me, maybe beginner to novice level? Something that has slight difficulty, so I actually learn.

I can play about 5 songs right now, my best is probably the riff to "N.I.B." by Black Sabbath.

Higher Ground by RHCP has some slapping in it.

!@#$
10-08-2007, 05:25 PM

my name is mud by primus is easy
i learned it my first day playing bass so eh

sucka mothafcka stopper
10-09-2007, 04:21 PM

A lot of Chili's songs are great for beginner slap. Try Aeroplane, that's my favorite...(gotta throw in this vid of me playing it haha: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9D_SlWGIxnk) Try playing it slow at first, because it's a little tough. Eventually you'll get it, and it'll sound awesome.

You can apply slap basically anywhere, as long as you know how use it and you're tasteful with it.

Edit: All those songs that I played in that vid are pretty simple, if you play them slow at first. If you wanna try them, the second one is called "Skinny Sweaty Man", and the third is "Get Up and Jump"(a little tougher because it's supposed to be played fast). All by RHCP.

BailBoarder
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4dWb-aCWR8U

learn this first.

then try some scales, and harder things.

sucka mothafcka stopper
10-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Hahahaaa vic is soo funky.

GetThunderStruck
10-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Victor Wooten is crazy, but I seriously hope you aren't serious.

Thanks for the help, SMFS!

BROBOT
10-10-2007, 03:08 AM
play the little intro for sienfeld

rippen in da mitten
10-10-2007, 03:41 AM
dazed and confused by zeppelin and any ramones.all are easy

Kolzig
10-10-2007, 04:34 AM
for more advanced playing look at some primus, less than jake, or iron maiden songs...most have some off the wall basslines youre not likely to find anywhere else

killyourfamily
10-10-2007, 05:41 AM
Is everyone forgetting Go Skate by Suicidal Tendencies? It has sweet bass all throughout. Rob Trujillo is damn good, badass too.

The first thing I learned on bass was Bombtrack-Rage Against the Machine.

GetThunderStruck
10-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I downloaded all of the recommended songs, and got the Guitar Pro tabs for them, I'll start tomorrow!

darkstar-skater
10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
yea dude ive bene playing for 4 years got my first bass with the help of slapdown, but yea anyways id suggest starting out with some chilli peppers or even micheal jackson, sounds funny but thriller was the first song i learned and maybe some pinkfloyd its up so you. and slapping can be applyed anywere, like a bass solo for example slapping is fast and easy. Good luck.