PDA

View Full Version : Guitars

749IVLIFESKATER
10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Name some good guitar companies/guitars and a good way to learn excluding lesson just because I don't feel like taking them if its not completely necessary.

almost_a_user_name
10-08-2007, 12:52 PM
ESP(LTD)
Gibson(epiphone)
Fender(squire)
Ibanez
Washburn(lyson)

and i suggest getting lessons

749IVLIFESKATER
10-08-2007, 12:54 PM
How much does like an average year of lessons cost?

almost_a_user_name
10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
like 20-25 dollars for an hour lesson

maxatrillion
10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
How much does like an average year of lessons cost?

depends on the lesson legth. but half hour lessons 1 time a week for me was around $700

749IVLIFESKATER
10-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys.
Is it at all possible to learn from dvd's?
I know its probably best to take lessons but idk.

almost_a_user_name
10-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys.
Is it at all possible to learn from dvd's?
I know its probably best to take lessons but idk.

you could but you cant really ask a dvd questions

749IVLIFESKATER
10-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks man btw where in Florida do you live?

almost_a_user_name
10-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Thanks man btw where in Florida do you live?

hollywood/pembroke pines area

jpharaoh69
10-08-2007, 01:38 PM
getting lessons is far more beneficial than you'd think. but to start out, look into www.ultimate-guitar.com that's got a lot of shit.

as for companies: ibanez, epiphone and washburn are companies who make good beginner guitars. a lot of people will say to get a squire but DON'T! theyre poorly made and sound very bad. likewise with the beginner ESP's and BC Rich guitars, theyre made out of agathis which is the worst wood to make guitars out of so stay away from those.

almost_a_user_name
10-08-2007, 01:40 PM
getting lessons is far more beneficial than you'd think. but to start out, look into www.ultimate-guitar.com that's got a lot of shit.

as for companies: ibanez, epiphone and washburn are companies who make good beginner guitars. a lot of people will say to get a squire but DON'T! theyre poorly made and sound very bad. likewise with the beginner ESP's and BC Rich guitars, theyre made out of agathis which is the worst wood to make guitars out of so stay away from those.

some are made of agathis but most beginner ESPs or LTDs are made of basswood. some are even mahogany

Popwar Pill
10-08-2007, 01:42 PM
http://www.cyberfret.com

That site really helped me out

Popwar Pill
10-08-2007, 01:43 PM

I've had my ESP F-104 for over 6 months now...and I don't have a single complaint about it...it's durable as fuck..

almost_a_user_name
10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I've had my ESP F-104 for over 6 months now...and I don't have a single complaint about it...it's durable as fuck..

nice. the F series is bad ass

749IVLIFESKATER
10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Oh and how much do one of those cost on average?

almost_a_user_name
10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
I seriously would take lessons and all that but I have really low attention spans and I'm usually a slow ass learner so thats why I'm not sure about it.

people learn at different paces and if youre really interested in guitar youll pay attention

jpharaoh69
10-08-2007, 01:55 PM
some are made of agathis but most beginner ESPs or LTDs are made of basswood. some are even mahogany

the EC/H/MH/Viper -50, 100, 200 and 250 series are all made of agathis.

!@#$
10-08-2007, 02:07 PM
get a peavey starter pack it comes with a basic amp and guitar(and shitty shitty cord)
its like around 200-250$

Comfortably Numb
10-08-2007, 02:15 PM
ESP and Ibanez are great.

And lessons will be best for you to begin.

749IVLIFESKATER
10-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Oh and I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but don't most starter packs suck?

jpharaoh69
10-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Oh and I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but don't most starter packs suck?

yes lol. the company basically take their worst guitar(sometimes makes another even worse to put in th pack) and a very very bad amp(some brands don't even make amps so you can imagine how bad they are) and all the randoms cable/strap/whatnot. so you're buying crap gear for less than normal price.

best amp for the price: Roland Cube 15 - 99$
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

^^ just get it.

enjoi the panda
10-08-2007, 10:49 PM
aight i have a question, im going to start playing by the end of the month and i wanna know wat you guys reccommend
should i buy a shitty costco yamaha guitar and use it for a few months and return it after i get a little good and buy a epiphone les paul typpe guitar

or should i just buy the epiphone now? and use it as my starting guitar

Skater_goth
10-08-2007, 11:42 PM
A guitar is a guitar dude, if you can afford it I would recommend learning on a good guitar. But dude if you quit all that money is going to be wasted. But if your not like that then sure, go for the epiphone les paul.

OWNER OF THE THREAD:
Dude I never got lessons but someones I regret it thinking I could have gotten much better with lessons. But other times I just think hmmm lessons would have costed me a fortune.

For a beginner guitar I would recommend any one of these brands:

ESP(LTD)
Gibson(epiphone)
Fender(squire)
Ibanez
Washburn(lyson)

The writing in brackets is the actual decent immitations of the brand that are still good. For a cheap beginner package I would recommend a squire pack, but if you want something half decent thats what to get. But if you really want something good that will open your wallet more but would be worth it if your going to keep the habit, it is getting a guitar by it's self like a ibanez or stratocaster or something decent then going out and getting a good amp, someone in this thread said:
a best amp for the price: Roland Cube 15 - 99$
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=487030

I think that would be pretty good. Also if your going to get a good setup i'll just do some numbers for ya.
300-100000USD for good guitar
99USD for amp
20-30USD for Lead
30-40 USD for distortion pedal
1-3USD for picks(optional)

Ynot
10-10-2007, 03:44 PM
if you're just starting, get an acoustic. it's cheaper, and if you ever quit playing, at least you wouldn't have wasted a ton of money.

as for lessons, go to the website in my sig. it's got some good beginner stuff that might help you. if you can commit to it and/or you want to get better, get lessons. trust me it'd be worth it. i got way better at guitar after i started getting lessons.

switchflip63
10-12-2007, 01:24 PM
whats a good website for guitar tabs, since im just pretty much teaching myself how to play