PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started

Comfortably Numb
10-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Ok,so i have a band.And......were getting there if you no what i mean,does any of you more expiereinced band members have any pointers for me for like getting us better,or just anything that may help us willbe wonderful.I thank all you that help.

BailBoarder
10-07-2007, 07:15 PM
while practicing: if someone is talking, turn your amp off, or drop your drumsticks.

Ipswitch
10-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Learn to communicate while playing, thats really important. Like, if your gonna solo for an extra few measures or something, you need to learn to tell the band that while playing.

When your first starting out, cover songs, just to get a feel for eachothers style. Once you've got a few covered songs down, get some originals in the mix.

DONT DEVOTE YOUR MONEY/LIFE TO THE BAND. Chances are, this band wont last long. Dont waste money right away on shit like stickers or shirts or anything.

smitherson
10-07-2007, 08:23 PM
while practicing: if someone is talking, turn your amp off, or drop your drumsticks.

Haha I bring my guitar to my friends house (plays bass) and he gets so pissed off because he'll be talking and I'll just be playing random shit

Anti-Hero
10-07-2007, 08:28 PM
just start with covers, get a feel for playing together and such.

jpharaoh69
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM

lol that is important. well you don't have to turn you amp off. just stop playing. a lot of the time my bassists brother(who jams with us sometimes because we jam at his house) is always fucking playing even when im trying to tell a bandmate something. it gets really annoying after a while.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Keep drama outside of the band room.

Keep everyone in good spirits(I struggle with this alot), if a member isn't into it at the time and keeps fuckin up make sure not to give them shit for it, it'll only put pressure on them and will most likely fuck up again.

Fun is the main goal in progressing well(mixed with knowing your shit and knowing how to have fun and stay focused and musically serious at the same time).

Less talk, more jamming(unless whats being said has some relevance to the band). My band gets way into chatter and jokes that it'll take up to 10 minutes for us to play anything, meanwhile I am ready to go and just want to play. Make sure to separate joke time and music time.