PDA

View Full Version : MCR says...

Nesta.
09-23-2007, 05:05 PM
My Chemical Romance have hit out at the genre of emo calling it “a pile of shit.”

Frontman Gerard Way is clearly irate with media outlets bracketing his band with the tag and decided to hit out.

Way ranted: “Basically, it's never been accurate to describe us. Emo bands were being booked while we were touring with Christian metal bands because no one would book us on tours.

“I think emo is fucking garbage, it's bullshit. I think there's bands that unfortunately we get lumped in with that are considered emo and by default that starts to make us emo.”

He finished to student website The Maine Campus: “All I can say is anyone actually listening to the records put the records next to each other and listen to them and there's actually no similarities. I think emo's a pile of shit.”

link- http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/my_chemical_romance_emo_is_a_pile_of_sh-t.html

spanky_dan
09-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Haha I made a bulletin about this on myspace. Fuck MCR. Emo fuckwits. I won't even get started, hahahaha. Man this band is pathetic.

Nesta.
09-23-2007, 05:08 PM
haha, i actually like some songs.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-23-2007, 05:24 PM
But... they are emo..

Absynthe
09-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Well, MCR ain't metal, thats for goddamn sure...

guitaristontherun
09-23-2007, 05:45 PM
My Chemical Romance have hit out at the genre of emo calling it “a pile of shit.”

Frontman Gerard Way is clearly irate with media outlets bracketing his band with the tag and decided to hit out.

Way ranted: “Basically, it's never been accurate to describe us. Emo bands were being booked while we were touring with Christian metal bands because no one would book us on tours.

“I think emo is fucking garbage, it's bullshit. I think there's bands that unfortunately we get lumped in with that are considered emo and by default that starts to make us emo.”

He finished to student website The Maine Campus: “All I can say is anyone actually listening to the records put the records next to each other and listen to them and there's actually no similarities. I think emo's a pile of shit.”
1.Christian metal bands? Metal? No, MCR is not metal.
2.He's right about this. Emo was originally Emotionally charged hardcore punk rock, and other bands got lumped in and eventually were not emo anymore. Let's take Fugazi as an example. Considered by many the first emo band, although when you ask a modern emo they'll say they're not and call it punk music. Now, bands like MCR are Modern Emo. Or Shit Emo. This is what the media does.

However, MCR is emo, because of how emo has changed. Is it original emo? No. Its modern. Therefore, Gerard is both right, and wrong. But we all know he goes both ways, the fucking homo.

tubbyturd
09-23-2007, 06:01 PM
...Fugazi as an example. Considered by many the first emo band...

I thought it was Husker Du? I could be wrong, though. Maybe Husker Du started the 'melodic hardcore' trend? I'm probably mixed up.

adude113
09-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Hahahaha that's so funny; they're like the first thing that comes to my mind when someone says emo. And the picture of him in the article cannot get anymore emo-looking.

RiseWithTheFallen.
09-23-2007, 06:41 PM
http://www.100xr.com/100_XR/Artists/M/My_Chemical_Romance/My.Chemical.Romance-band-2004.jpg

adude113
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
http://www.100xr.com/100_XR/Artists/M/My_Chemical_Romance/My.Chemical.Romance-band-2004.jpg

That picture of him as almost as emo-looking, but I don't think it beats the one in the article.

dain84
09-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Rites of Spring is emo.
Jawbreaker is emo.
Fugazi is emo.

codyguy
09-23-2007, 07:11 PM
mcr may not be emo, but they definitely are a pile of shit.

Marevix
09-23-2007, 07:36 PM
One of the comments, "Wow, even MCR thinks MCR is crap...". Fucking excellent.

nacho-libre
09-23-2007, 07:44 PM
yea.. i read that and was just like "Ok then"

JerseySucks
09-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Emo is the stupidest fucking term ever. All bands SHOULD be emotional. Music without emotion isn't music. MCR has no right to call any kind of music a pile of shit, they fucking suck terribly and Gerard Way is a humongous flaming douche bag. What a fucking retard.

liebherk
09-23-2007, 08:03 PM
mcr is what is best described as "mall emo."

basically what this term means is that people don't have a clue what the hell (real) emo is, and assume it applies to anything that has to do with guys acting like wussies or anything that has to do with strong emotion. Oh, and they must have a couple songs on the radio. An alternative to this is over a million plays on myspace.

examples: MCR, Silverstein, Taking Back Sunday, AFI, Hawthorne Heights, blah blah blah.

In reality these bands are all just pop punk. Sure, different subsets, different styles of it, but pop punk nonetheless.

A synonym for "mall emo" is "third wave emo."

spanky_dan
09-23-2007, 08:17 PM

basically what this term means is that people don't have a clue what the hell (real) emo is, and assume it applies to anything that has to do with guys acting like wussies or anything that has to do with strong emotion. Oh, and they must have a couple songs on the radio. An alternative to this is over a million plays on myspace.

examples: MCR, Silverstein, Taking Back Sunday, AFI, Hawthorne Heights, blah blah blah.

In reality these bands are all just pop punk. Sure, different subsets, different styles of it, but pop punk nonetheless.

Yeah.

Hahaha I haven't heard of 'mall emo' that sounds funny.

In reality, in the sense of the word emo, every single band that has lyrics that actually have thought put into them are 'emo', but not in the sense of the 'image/fashion' it has taken on.

'Tears in Heaven' by Clapton could be classified as the ultimate 'emo' song because of the amount of emotion in the lyrics and because of how tragic the story was, but 'emo' doesn't mean that anymore. It is simply the name for a trend which is the black pants and eyeliner and shit.

Of course Clapton isn't emo, that is just absurd, but the adjective emo is no longer the word for describing bands that put a lot of emotion into their performances like Rites Of Spring and Fugazi etc.

So yeah, pretty much, emo is heavily used as a label depending on how the band dresses and sings. If they fit the image of 'emo' and their music sounds 'emotional' like a lot of bands do, or has 'emo' lyrics, they are classified as 'emo'. Like liebherk said, this latest form is called 'third wave emo' and I think that many bands today fit under that label. Whenever I say emo, I'm not thinking of Ian Mackaye (who himself said how stupid the label emo was back in 1986, direct quote, "As if hardcore wasn't emotional enough already") I think of the tight pants, depressing moods that these people promote, their (unawaredly conformist) non-conformity, and shitty music.

I would put MCR in that category, and so I think of them as emo.

JerseySucks
09-23-2007, 08:20 PM
I'm not okay...

drowning_fish
09-23-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm not okay...

I am

I'm single too

bush pig
09-23-2007, 08:33 PM
This is my msn name now.

dain84
09-23-2007, 09:50 PM
I love MCR's latest album. I'm not quite what sure what genre I would classify it as though.

AScentOfBlood
09-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Meh..

Im noooooooot ooooooookay, Im not okay, and im not okay, im not o-fucking kay..

I wouldnt be ok either, MCR is teh sux. They have 2 good songs. IMO

GirlsWithSteez
09-23-2007, 09:56 PM
mcr sucks, and they're calling other bands a piece of shit, LOL

and what 2 songs do you like?

lazylife
09-23-2007, 10:00 PM
i saw them live along with rise against. rise against was awesome, but mcr sucked soooo much balls. he sounds and dances like a faggot when he's on stage. and it didnt sound like real music, just a bunch of noise. rise against was soooooooooo much better

dustydust
09-24-2007, 02:58 AM
i saw them live along with rise against. rise against was awesome, but mcr sucked soooo much balls. he sounds and dances like a faggot when he's on stage. and it didnt sound like real music, just a bunch of noise. rise against is soooooooooo much better

fixed.

skate.or.die!
09-24-2007, 03:30 AM
MCR is a piece of shit band and their singer could go to a tanning salon for petes sake he looks like he likes in closet

Ynot
09-25-2007, 02:04 PM
mcr may not be emo, but they definitely are a pile of shit.
I laughed so hard at that

Occupant
09-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Emo:
Moss Icon
Fugazi
Husker Du
Rites of Spring
Embrace
Indian Summer
Converge
Antioch Arrow
Swing Kids

My Chemical Romance, Hawthorne Heights, The Used, Fall Out Boy, and all that other shit: pure bullshit.

Word Life
09-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Emo: Garbage

MCR: Garbage

Connection?

d-ville skater
09-26-2007, 07:00 PM
Emo music? As in music (rock based) with a lot of meaning and emotion sucking? HAAA talking from a band thats lead singer talks about death and suicide and what not I dont see where they get off saying that shit.

Fuck you MCR and fuck you Gerald Way with youre gay ass trimmed bleached hair.

liebherk
09-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Emo:
Moss Icon
Fugazi
Husker Du
Rites of Spring
Embrace
Indian Summer
Converge
Antioch Arrow
Swing Kids

My Chemical Romance, Hawthorne Heights, The Used, Fall Out Boy, and all that other ####: pure bullshit.

eh, last time I checked Converge was metalcore.

Another band to add to that list would be Circle Takes The Square. They seem to be one of the more popular emo bands.

flipuk
09-27-2007, 03:05 AM

I dont like how you used afi there :/ To be honest, how they can even be described as your"3rd wave emo" is beyond me but I cant be fucked to argue and instead will just listen to Al Hallows.

spanky_dan
09-27-2007, 03:29 AM
I dont like how you used afi there :/ To be honest, how they can even be described as your"3rd wave emo" is beyond me but I cant be fucked to argue and instead will just listen to Al Hallows.

Their old stuff isn't emo, I like it, it's pretty sweet. But ever since Davey got those weird hairstyles and started dressing kinda weird and their music changed a bit they (imo) kinda fall under that new emo banner sort of thing. I like that Miss Murder song though, until the screaming bit.

flipuk
09-27-2007, 04:11 AM
Their old stuff isn't emo, I like it, it's pretty sweet. But ever since Davey got those weird hairstyles and started dressing kinda weird and their music changed a bit they (imo) kinda fall under that new emo banner sort of thing. I like that Miss Murder song though, until the screaming bit.

Meh, I admit since STS their sound is slightly more darker and lyrically it could be interpreted that way, but their new direction (if you could call it that) isn't far from Black Sails and Art of Drowning lyricwise, its more the way its delivered and the overall sound they have. I admit, he looks well, kinda weird now but I never judge a band by their appearance anyway and DU overall doesn't give me any impression of emo, not lyrically nor sound wise.

But then, thats my opinion and since i've been a fan for years, I've kinda learnt to not put them in any category since their sound evolves too much.

iamjew
09-27-2007, 04:19 AM
mcr are not emo i listen to them becuase i like them and yes i am going to see them in november and yes i no sum dick is gunna reoply calling me an emo fuck or that im gay becuase i like mcr and you no what... i dont care im not emo and i aint gay but saying this gered does look quite the emo in that pic!!

V3
09-27-2007, 05:15 AM
wheres the sig where he says

What? you are not metal

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-27-2007, 06:53 AM
mcr are not emo i listen to them becuase i like them and yes i am going to see them in november and yes i no sum dick is gunna reoply calling me an emo fuck or that im gay becuase i like mcr and you no what... i dont care im not emo and i aint gay but saying this gered does look quite the emo in that pic!!

Learn how to spell, emo.

almost_a_user_name
09-27-2007, 07:41 AM
wheres the sig where he says

What? you are not metal

right here

guitaristontherun
09-27-2007, 12:31 PM
You're a gay emo fuck, but its because you can't type, not cause you like MCR.

To liebherk: agreed. "mall emo"

Occupant
09-27-2007, 12:36 PM
eh, last time I checked Converge was metalcore.

Another band to add to that list would be Circle Takes The Square. They seem to be one of the more popular emo bands.

Sorry, forgot about them.

iamjew
10-09-2007, 02:45 AM
Learn how to spell, emo.
your a fucking gay and im not fucking emo i hate the bastards im one of the most anti-emo fucks there are so fuck off dickhead

Snowskate to Destiny
10-09-2007, 02:58 AM
^Fail.

iamjew
10-09-2007, 03:14 AM
?

rippen in da mitten
10-09-2007, 03:30 AM
hahah omg MCR is really gay.there definitly not metal

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-09-2007, 05:44 AM
your a fucking gay and im not fucking emo i hate the bastards im one of the most anti-emo fucks there are so fuck off dickhead

Yeah I was kinda joking. Wow, you're dumb.

NotoriousBigBird
10-09-2007, 11:43 AM
emo? third-wave emo? mall emo? pop-punk? whatever, to me it's all synonymous for shit music.

EnjoiRider25
10-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Emo is the stupidest fucking term ever. All bands SHOULD be emotional. Music without emotion isn't music. MCR has no right to call any kind of music a pile of shit, they fucking suck terribly and Gerard Way is a humongous flaming douche bag. What a fucking retard.

THANK YOU! And I agree all the way with that statement.