PDA

View Full Version : Metal/Hardcore Vocals

tony777
09-21-2007, 07:00 PM
I also want to learn vocals such as screamign and growling...does anyone know a good website that explains how pretty thoroughly?

Marevix
09-21-2007, 07:10 PM
My (poorly organized and repetitive) guide to screams/growls from April (http://rapidshare.com/files/38352843/screaming.mp3). This one was made for a dude who PM'd me.

I might make a new one with advice for adding roughness/abrasiveness to clean voices. I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm working on a thrash metal vocal similar to early Slayer and Destruction.

Skaterdude
09-21-2007, 07:25 PM
I have a really deep voice, so it's like low, death metal growling came naturally to me. It took a little practice, but now I can do it pretty well.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-21-2007, 09:43 PM
My (poorly organized and repetitive) guide to screams/growls from April (http://rapidshare.com/files/38352843/screaming.mp3). This one was made for a dude who PM'd me.

I might make a new one with advice for adding roughness/abrasiveness to clean voices. I'm not very good at it yet, but I'm working on a thrash metal vocal similar to early Slayer and Destruction.

I actually learned some things from it when you first posted it. Thats how I learned good black metal stuff.

example..

www.myspace.com/darkrieg

Marevix
09-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I actually learned some things from it when you first posted it. Thats how I learned good black metal stuff.

example..

www.myspace.com/darkrieg

Good to know that my stoned ranting helped someone.

I'm going to rerecord the guide with a script so I'm not constantly repeating myself (I said "for example" twice near the beginning, and there was generally a lot of redundant information).
Some additional techniques I want to cover;
a. Distinguishable growls. The technique I used in the first version used a rounded/skewed mouth orientation that doesn't work well with coherent sentences.
b. Rough/falsetto screams, somewhat similar to Slayer.
c. Roughening a clean voice (I'm going to work Lil' Jon into this somehow).
d. Lyrics (a few examples, specific advice for each technique to form words without losing a consistent scream).
e. Maybe nasal screaming, although my examples will probably sound shit if I try to go anything above midrange pitch.
f. Scream/growl longevity (breathing, vibration consistency)

Getting a feel for thrash-esque/roughened clean voice was a bitch to learn on my own, I sounded like Lil' Jon for at least a couple weeks of on/off practice before I got the hang of it.

AScentOfBlood
09-22-2007, 02:56 AM
I need need to know how to do eh.. Nymphetamine style vocals..

Korpiklaani, where the hell do I find more?! Must.. Own it all!

smitherson
09-22-2007, 08:52 AM
I want to know, is btbam type vocals inhaling? Cause I can dotryit better inhaling

Marevix
09-22-2007, 09:00 AM
I want to know, is btbam type vocals inhaling? Cause I can dotryit better inhaling

I listened to the first track on their PureVolume ("Sun of Nothing"), no inhaled vocals there. Their technique is similar to the mid/low scream I described in the first guide, might want to check that out. Some of the riffs from that song sound copied from Mercyful Fate.