PDA

View Full Version : Im planing on learning guitar

tony777
09-20-2007, 12:02 PM
I am now very interested in learning electric guitar.

These 3 guys brought in their electric guitars today in school, and played during our free period. I thought it was pretty badass, so it inspired me to learn.

Could I have some suggestions on like, what guitar to get, and what websites could help me learn and stuff?

And if this is any chance in the wrong section, mod please move it.

Comfortably Numb
09-20-2007, 12:12 PM
ESP and Ibnez are the best ever in my opinion.So get a ESP or a Ibanez,and ultimate-guitar.com has some really good tabs and stuff.And you can read skaterdudes guide if you dont know how to read tabs.

Vivica
09-20-2007, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't spend too much money on a guitar if this is the first time you've decided you want to play.
I'd try get to know some people who know about music and play guitar, and get them to teach you a few simple riffs first, then if you think you want to continue it you can buy a cheap Squire or something like that.

If you search for Guitar on SBC i'm sure this thread's basically been some 100 times, so there should be quite a few answers on here for you already, what songs to learn, good starter packs etc.

Alot of members here can be really helpful with stuff like this, so feel free to ask about anything you're not sure about.

Ynot
09-20-2007, 12:18 PM
read my sig.

ZeroOrDie.
09-20-2007, 12:51 PM
read my sig.

Thanks

Skaterdude
09-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Buy a cheap acoustic to fiddle around with. If you're into it, go for a Squier or something.

sucka mothafcka stopper
09-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Get a Fender man. Anyone who talks shit about them is just jealous of their beauty and perfectness.

Skate92
09-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Ive got a Peavey raptor plus exp...its a nice little guitar i gotta say
Ultimate-guitar.com has nice tabs like comfortably numb said

oh btw... ur fingers will hurt the first few days until ur fingers get calluses

easiest song to learn is Animal i have become- 3 Days Grace

Ynot
09-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks
no problem

Marevix
09-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Get a Fender man. Anyone who talks shit about them is just jealous of their beauty and perfectness.

I personally dislike the tone of most Fender guitars I've played, but I like their bass guitars.

Skaterdude
09-20-2007, 01:14 PM

I hate them, and always will. I guess I'm just jealous?

Vivica
09-20-2007, 01:21 PM
You Cannot hate all Fenders, its just not allowed :-!?
Even the Jagstang? Or James Root's fat Tele? If you hate those 2 guitars the likelyhood is that you have no soul.

ZeroOrDie.
09-20-2007, 01:26 PM

Yes. Super jealous

krewskater
09-20-2007, 01:30 PM
If you start learnin tabs and stuff and realize you wanna take it further get a good teacher. Have lessons once a week or something. I feel like it's a lot better to go out and pay an actual human teacher to help you out (in real life, i know...it sounds so 1990s!) and teach you some more advanced stuff (music theory, different modes, good soloing techniques) than to teach yourself on a website. If you use a website im sure you'll run into problems somewhere along the way (especially in a few years if you keep playing and get into some of the complicated stuff), and it's awesome to support an actual guitar teacher, not some dude who wrote a bunch of tabs on a website.

If you don't want a teacher, at least get the first 3 Alfred's books and self-teach with those, there good for beginner/intermediate level stuff.

Skaterdude
09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
You Cannot hate all Fenders, its just not allowed :-!?
Even the Jagstang? Or James Root's fat Tele? If you hate those 2 guitars the likelyhood is that you have no soul.

I do admit, the Jagstang looks pretty cool. I haven't played one though, so I don't have an opinion on it. However, every other sort of Fender I've played, I've hated. Whether it be the tone, the neck, the size of the frets, or just the body style. I'm an Ibanez man.

Word Life
09-20-2007, 01:41 PM
Buy a cheap acoustic to fiddle around with. If you're into it, go for a Squier or something.

Haha, I have a squier stratocaster, fiddle around with it sometimes, but I'm not really into guitar.

Vivica
09-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I do admit, the Jagstang looks pretty cool. I haven't played one though, so I don't have an opinion on it. However, every other sort of Fender I've played, I've hated. Whether it be the tone, the neck, the size of the frets, or just the body style. I'm an Ibanez man.

Jagstangs are my favourite Fenders by a very long way, i prefer them to Strats because of the way their body is weighted, and although their standard pickups don't provide quite as versatile a sound as Strats, they're alot more versatile than Tele's.

If i was ever going to play guitar seriously i'd buy a Jagstang, beastly guitars.
But at the moment my main musical issue is my lack of decent bass, when i get back from travelling and have settled back into life i'm going to buy myself a 5 string... That is presuming i'll have people to play with...

Not to try steer the thread away from guitars and music, but... Me and Ruchi are going away ALONE for 3/4 months next year! FUCK, and YES!!

jpharaoh69
09-20-2007, 01:51 PM
http://www.skateboard-city.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=101565

my guide.

Skaterdude
09-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Jagstangs are my favourite Fenders by a very long way, i prefer them to Strats because of the way their body is weighted, and although their standard pickups don't provide quite as versatile a sound as Strats, they're alot more versatile than Tele's.

If i was ever going to play guitar seriously i'd buy a Jagstang, beastly guitars.
But at the moment my main musical issue is my lack of decent bass, when i get back from travelling and have settled back into life i'm going to buy myself a 5 string... That is presuming i'll have people to play with...

Not to try steer the thread away from guitars and music, but... Me and Ruchi are going away ALONE for 3/4 months next year! FUCK, and YES!!

Woah, I just remembered who Ruchi is. Congratulations for being with her that long...At my age, just a year with a girl seems asinine.

I'll see if my local shop has any of them. Like I said, I haven't like any Fender I've played, but it's always worth it to try again with another model I guess.

Anti-Hero
09-20-2007, 05:51 PM
bah, Ive two strats, an epi semi hollow and a danelectro for slide, and i love the strats, love love love.

Skaterdude
09-20-2007, 06:00 PM
bah, Ive two strats, an epi semi hollow and a danelectro for slide, and i love the strats, love love love.

I must be really fucking weird or something.

jpharaoh69
09-20-2007, 07:03 PM
I must be really fucking weird or something.

nope... im the same way. i dont mind their necks, but they sound too thin to me with not enough response to bass, especially their single coils. also, the contours aren't right for where i wear my guitar so it pokes me with their corners. i like thick mahogany humbucker tone so strats and most fenders in general don't really go well with me at all.

BAKAAA
09-20-2007, 07:11 PM

qft.

Vivica
09-21-2007, 03:09 AM
I don't really think that getting an acoustic is the right way to go if he's been inspired by electrics, especially when he's unlikely to want to learn acoustic stuff for quite a while...
Also, on the Fender discussion, i'm not overly into the feel of Strats, they're too... well balanced, if you know what i mean, almost too neutral.
The only gripe i have with Jagstangs are... tuning... and rarity, they're pretty damn hard to get.

the_unknown_soldier
09-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Woah, I just remembered who Ruchi is. Congratulations for being with her that long...At my age, just a year with a girl seems asinine.

I'll see if my local shop has any of them. Like I said, I haven't like any Fender I've played, but it's always worth it to try again with another model I guess.
Me and my girl went out for 9 months.....we just broke up :'(

michaelo
09-21-2007, 08:54 AM
first guitar http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-LP-100-Electric-Guitar-518661-i1150095.Music123

fist amp http://www.music123.com/Crate-GTD15-Guitar-Amplifier-480057-i1325188.Music123

tabs and other stuff http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/

!@#$
09-21-2007, 09:15 AM
no matter what you do learn chords proper playing technique and scales as soon as possible

sucka mothafcka stopper
09-21-2007, 09:23 AM

Obviously you are. I admit I'm basing my opinion mostly off their basses, because that's what I play, and their basses are incredible.