PDA

View Full Version : Drum Silencers?!?!?

gimp
09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Are drum silencers any good?
My mum wants me to get an electric drum kit, but the normal ones are best in my opinion. But i was wondering do the Drum Silencers work? and do the work well? Cause my mum is annoying, and says she dosent want loads of noise, bevause the neighbours will complain, so I was wondering, and the silencers any good? And can someone find me a good video on the internet of someone drumming with a full set of silencers so i can see? Ill posi.

rhythmdepot7
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLgYV93c_MA

That guy said he had his on, but there's some other music in there so I'm not sure if it'll help.

leavemealone
09-19-2007, 04:24 PM
my sister whos a drummer says get some of those rubber black things and just put them over your drums and it quiets them down a bit.

drowning_fish
09-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Why the fuck wouldn't you want an electric drumset? If your mom wants them wouldn't she be willing to pay for them as well? I'd prefer electric drums because you could record the tracks soooo much easier and mess with them on the computer and shit without having to buy a bunch of mics and recording equipment for that shit... But I don't know. You're probably playing drums with like a rock band huh. I'd still lean towards electric drums but that's just me because of making beats and shit

dustydust
09-19-2007, 04:37 PM
the thing about electric drums is they have a different bounce than regular drumsets so you might lose your touch on regular drums if you play electric too much.

Doug_Funnie
09-19-2007, 05:21 PM
electric drumsets are gay if you wanna play in a band someday. ive used silencers and they pretty much do the job. the snare isnt as loud but you can still hear the snappy wires.

Ipswitch
09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
I have a set of silencers. I got them when I first bought my first set of drums. I barely ever use them, but noise isn't a problem for me. They work fairly well... they're wicked lame though. Not nearly as much fun to play.

drowning_fish
09-19-2007, 05:54 PM
the thing about electric drums is they have a different bounce than regular drumsets so you might lose your touch on regular drums if you play electric too much.

Yeah I realized that. Plus not as much room for creativity since they're recorded sounds. Kind of limits it but then again I don't know shit about electric drums or drums in general

Roboman
09-19-2007, 10:22 PM
How 'bout a pair of hotrods and muffle the kick?

Dying_To_Live
09-20-2007, 01:05 AM
I have played drums for 4 years. Get an electric drumkit. If you are doing a lot of practise while your family are home definately get electric.

Its great because they can be as loud or as quiet as you want, no tuning needed, pick the sounds of drums and cymbals, good electric drums are cheaper then good acoustic drums, smaller and more compact, easy to build a big drumkit just buy another drum and it can be used for any purpose.

only downside is that they dont look as cool as acoustic.

iplaydrums
09-20-2007, 10:34 AM
If your mom is offering you a Roland V-Drum kit and your like "no that's so ghey" then GTFO the planet.