PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone hate Dragonforce?

Turboz
09-08-2007, 06:01 AM
Well why do you think? I hear some people say the singer sounds hair-metalesque and that their live performances sound nothing like the recordings, which are two very stupid reasons to hate on Dragonforce. The singer doesnt sound like hair metal. Thats how most Power Metal singers sound. Theres nothing "hair metal" about it. Whats up with these people? You dont see me saying that Linkin Park sucks since so many of you guys listen to that.

Shadow_of_Deth
09-08-2007, 06:15 AM
Well why do you think? I hear some people say the singer sounds hair-metalesque and that their live performances sound nothing like the recordings, which are two very stupid reasons to hate on Dragonforce. The singer doesnt sound like hair metal. Thats how most Power Metal singers sound. Theres nothing "hair metal" about it. Whats up with these people? You dont see me saying that Linkin Park sucks since so many of you guys listen to that.

Dont listen to those ignorant fucks. Most Power Metal singers sound like that and i think his vocals are amazing. Their live performances are always gonna sound diffrent, ive been to one of their concerts last year and they kicked so much ass.When i saw them live nothing was really diffrent from anything from their first two cd's but, when they played songs on their newer album it looked like they were playing diffrent solos or something.

SoHereIAm
09-08-2007, 06:18 AM
what? Linkin Park what the fuck? Linkin Park does suck.

Among The Living
09-08-2007, 06:51 AM
How many threads have been made about Dragonforce at this point?

Please, shut the fuck up nytro, I'll let RATTM come in and explain why they suck.

Levitate78
09-08-2007, 06:55 AM
no offense but holy shit how many threads have you made in the last 24 hours?

dragon force kicks ass

Roboman
09-08-2007, 07:09 AM
I don't like Dragonforce because they are void of any creativity. Technical skill doesn't mean jack shit to me if you can't do anything slightly original with it.

And more people here hate Linkin Park than Dragonforce, I don't really know what you meant by that last comment.

juice
09-08-2007, 07:10 AM
i love dragon force

Among The Living
09-08-2007, 07:17 AM
I don't like Dragonforce because they are void of any creativity. Technical skill doesn't mean jack shit to me if you can't do anything slightly original with it.

And more people here hate Linkin Park than Dragonforce, I don't really know what you meant by that last comment.

Instead of RATTM coming in, that pretty much sums it up.

Ipswitch
09-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Dragon Force fucking sucks. They're music is so obnoxious.

smitherson
09-08-2007, 09:01 AM
The singer sucks, the guitars suck (I don't give a shit how insane it is, it sucks), every songs exactly the same.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Dragonforce is testament to how much studios can make you sound better than you really are. Herman Li is a verrrry sketchy player(along with Sam Totman). Their playing is backed by nothing but special effects and 2-year-olds "creative playing"(which consists of taping strings with your pick and running whammy bars up and down them).
They focus more on the lead pieces rather than creative rhythm pieces which gives all their songs the same vibe and sound.
The vocals blow ass compared to the power metal vocalists out there, his voice is dull and annoying and his highs are hella weak.
Speed is awesome, but when you try to speed something up that has no technical ability and is just basic playing(mixed with a shitload of effects) then its just retarded and sounds like shit.
For what they are.. they are a decent band at best.. but for how mass popular and well-known they are.. they really don't have anything about them that is deserving of praise.
Just stick to Children Of Bodom(atleast they put effort into good/catchy riffs rather than non-sensly fast leads that lack the elements it takes for a fast lead part to sound good).

Or go out and discover better power metal bands.

Bleed the Freak
09-08-2007, 09:31 AM
I like them, but they do have shitty songs. Starfire, Trail of Broken Hearts, Dawn Over A New World, Heart of a Dragon. Those all suck (Yes, I have every album, but it's because I downloaded them. I couln't buy one, they aren't that good.) If you want a good power metal band, listen to 3 Inches of Blood. They are sick.

Vivica
09-08-2007, 09:50 AM
People contradict themselves so much with topics like this...

DragonForce are technically amazing, end of story, anybody who can deny that is crazy.
Whether they have true instrumental ability or whether its largely down to studio work, they still manage to make horribly tech music, which is what they want to do, who can say they shouldn't?

To say you don't like DragonForce because they use alot of studio magic is like saying you shouldn't like Pink Floyd because they used new and exciting studio techniques for the time. (Please, nobody point out that it was a curious mix of studio magic and neurostimulants, the point is that their music made heavy use of what, at the time, were considered the best studios had to offer)
DragonForce are merely using the best techniques they can, which is how alot of historic bands throughout history have got their sound.

Now... i'm not saying that DragonForce are amazing, infact, there's only really 2 tracks of theirs i can listen to without feeling the itch to turn them off... But The reasons people give for not liking them are often really pathetic.

If you want lyrical creativity you can rule out so many different genre's all together.
If you want musical creativity you can rule out 1,000's of artists.

Basically what i'm saying is, if you like them, fair enough, if you don't, fair enough. Don't try to justify your choice (which most people probably can't explain, myself included) with hypocritical badly thought out statements that seem to sound cool.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-08-2007, 09:51 AM
People contradict themselves so much with topics like this...

DragonForce are technically amazing, end of story, anybody who can deny that is crazy.
Whether they have true instrumental ability or whether its largely down to studio work, they still manage to make horribly tech music, which is what they want to do, who can say they shouldn't?

To say you don't like DragonForce because they use alot of studio magic is like saying you shouldn't like Pink Floyd because they used new and exciting studio techniques for the time. (Please, nobody point out that it was a curious mix of studio magic and neurostimulants, the point is that their music made heavy use of what, at the time, were considered the best studios had to offer)
DragonForce are merely using the best techniques they can, which is how alot of historic bands throughout history have got their sound.

Now... i'm not saying that DragonForce are amazing, infact, there's only really 2 tracks of theirs i can listen to without feeling the itch to turn them off... But The reasons people give for not liking them are often really pathetic.

If you want lyrical creativity you can rule out so many different genre's all together.
If you want musical creativity you can rule out 1,000's of artists.

Basically what i'm saying is, if you like them, fair enough, if you don't, fair enough. Don't try to justify your choice (which most people probably can't explain, myself included) with hypocritical badly thought out statements that seem to sound cool.

lolz

Vivica
09-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Ok, so bad phrasing there, sorry.

What i meant to say was that they're technically amazing, and their studio work is obviously brilliant.
But that as far as music goes, they are not in my opinion amazing, according to my taste.

I'm presuming you'd guessed that though...

Marevix
09-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Dragonforce overused basic/fast riffs and recorded solos in the studio that they have no chance of playing with any degree of accuracy in a live scenario on the last two albums. Their debut (Valley of the Damned), IMO, is a great power metal album because they still used unique/creative riffs and didn't record outside of their playing capacity. Plus, the bassist at the time was badass.

The way I see it, the only redeeming quality of Inhuman Rampage is that the vocal melodies remain unchanged as far as catchiness is concerned. There's also a few places where the wank-esque randomness works well, like in the intro to Operation Ground and Pound.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Ok, so bad phrasing there, sorry.

What i meant to say was that they're technically amazing, and their studio work is obviously brilliant.
But that as far as music goes, they are not in my opinion amazing, according to my taste.

I'm presuming you'd guessed that though...

Yeah. I just thought it was funny.

Turboz
09-08-2007, 10:04 AM
I guess most of you guys are right, well execpt for among the living. I mean dont get me wrong I like Children Of Bodom, and I do think linkin park sucks (I was just trying not to offend anyone), but you got to at least like one of their songs. Herman Li and the Keyboardist do pretty well for musicians who were self-taught. Well now I really understand why. and please, if youre going to put any more replies make sure theyre not completely retarded (among the living) alright?

Among The Living
09-08-2007, 11:27 AM
I guess most of you guys are right, well execpt for among the living. I mean dont get me wrong I like Children Of Bodom, and I do think linkin park sucks (I was just trying not to offend anyone), but you got to at least like one of their songs. Herman Li and the Keyboardist do pretty well for musicians who were self-taught. Well now I really understand why. and please, if youre going to put any more replies make sure theyre not completely retarded (among the living) alright?

How the fuck am I wrong, you little shit? I didn't even really make a valid post. I said I would let RATTM Explain as to why I don't like them, because I thought the same thing, yet I'm not very good at explaining why.

Don't go and drag my name in your posts and make this personal, asshole.

Have a nice day.

MinusTheSkateboard
09-08-2007, 11:38 AM
I don't know much of Dragonforce nor am I a huge fan. But I do like their music, I think that Asian guy is just amazing, and I like it, I cant think of anything smart to say.

Skaterdude
09-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Herman Li and Sam Totman can't even play their own songs...

NorwegianSkater_92
09-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Ive only heard a couple of songs, but I really like them. I think power metal is awesome as well:)

BAKAAA
09-08-2007, 12:53 PM
i'm not very into technical stuff. i don't hate dragon force but i really dislike the vocals for some reason. and it gets boring to me sorta.

iplaydrums
09-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Their drummer plays less different beats than a death metal drummer.

bdc666666
09-08-2007, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1uT8MUr7_4

that's why

Skaterdude
09-08-2007, 02:25 PM

that's why

Hahahahahaha, ooooooh God...Those sweeps sounded so horrible. And what the hell is up with Sam's tapping shit? That was retarded..Not to mention messy.

concretecarve14
09-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I chose not to even try listening to them JUST becuase I dont wanna get caught up in the whole dragon force rocks/sucks argument....

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-08-2007, 08:38 PM

that's why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKRxtwW0kQg

This guy does it better.

edit. I cried for 20 minutes.

BROBOT
09-08-2007, 08:46 PM

This guy does it better.

ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Marevix
09-08-2007, 08:47 PM

This guy does it better.

He should've used a broom with the right hand.

guitaristontherun
09-09-2007, 09:26 AM

that's why

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/4919/dragonforcecanplaythisxz9.jpg
^That's why as well. Seriously, search that up and you get that response.

I enjoy listening to dragon force on occasions, however, they are much overrated. Personally, I believe anybody who can play a scale can play a song as good as theirs. And the drummer is terrible. I hate how the drummer in the band I'm in thinks Dragon force's drummer is good. The drummer plays less beats than a half retarded monkey on speed, not to mention, its just a bunch of fast hitting of the snare and bass drum most of the time. The singer has a lack of vocal range. Everything I hear from him is never going into high pitches, just the same old octave or two. And they could atleast make the bass audible. I seriously cannot hear their bassist at all. The guitars are generally either just some stupid tapping, scale being played fast, as if it were such a big feat, some weird effect of no musical contribution, something that would sound way less as decent if they weren't using studio effects and a whammi pedal, or some power chords.

Popwar Pill
09-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Seriously.....that Youtube video just shows how much they suck.

dain84
09-09-2007, 09:39 AM
^That's why as well. Seriously, search that up and you get that response.

No it doesn't. Unless you forget the apostrophe in "can't."

Ipswitch
09-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Haha, I posted a thread about how much Dragonforce sucks back in 2006, and it seemed most people disagreed.

http://skateboard-city.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=71202

You guys have finally realized?

Among The Living
09-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Haha, I posted a thread about how much Dragonforce sucks back in 2006, and it seemed most people disagreed.

http://skateboard-city.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=71202

You guys have finally realized?

This man speaks the truth.

Skaterdude
09-09-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwPAewBFVQs

"Oh, I mean....Suck....KEKEKEKKEEE!"

Marevix
09-09-2007, 11:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwPAewBFVQs

"Oh, I mean....Suck....KEKEKEKKEEE!"

The funny thing is that Sam's tapping in the original video doesn't sound much better than this version's. The Power Rangers bit at the beginning is hilarious.

concretecarve14
09-09-2007, 04:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iLIhLv8LuY

Good video.

dustydust
09-09-2007, 05:18 PM

that's why

x-(

DeadAngel666
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Just let the other ones think what they wanna think...

Through the flames and fire :P

DietCocaine
09-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Cause there lyricist sucks

guitaristontherun
09-09-2007, 05:53 PM
Why does anyone care what other people think of the bands they listen to?

When it comes to what music you listen the only opinion that doesn't mean shit is your own.

Word Life
09-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Why does anyone care what other people think of the bands they listen to?

When it comes to what music you listen the only opinion that doesn't mean shit is your own.

agreed. Man i listen to Phil Collins, Pat Benetar, and a whole bunch of weird shit. It's just what I like

Among The Living
09-09-2007, 06:13 PM
agreed. Man i listen to Phil Collins, Pat Benetar, and a whole bunch of weird shit. It's just what I like

Whoa, talk about haven't-heard-that-in-forever. Seriously, I haven't heard Pat Benetar since I was eight.

I EAT BABIES
09-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't give a fuck. Say they suck, they have shitty guitar riffs that are just sped the fuck up, shitty lyrics, whatever. I like their music.

I like Linkin Park too, whatcho gonna do bout it?

Word Life
09-09-2007, 06:15 PM
did you just say LINKIN PARK? ehh...ehh...ehh...eww.

I EAT BABIES
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I like them alot actually, I have Hybrid Theory, and Minutes to Midnight in my car right now.

concretecarve14
09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I don't give a fuck. Say they suck, they have shitty guitar riffs that are just sped the fuck up, shitty lyrics, whatever. I like their music.

..Kick you in the proverbial nutsack?

Popwar Pill
09-09-2007, 06:17 PM

EVERYTHING YOU SAY TO ME! SENDS ME ONE STEP CLOSER THE EDGE AND IMA ABOUT TO BREAK!

Word Life
09-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Hybrid Theory does actually pwn though. Minutes to Midnight is such garbage. Bleed it out is okay i guess.

tubbyturd
09-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Dragonforce can play fast, but it seems that the music is devoid of any actual feeling or style.

Popwar Pill
09-09-2007, 06:24 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/PopwarPill/IMG_0429.jpg

This is my penis with a Powell sticker on it...I'm waiting for a better image of something else to load...so in the meantime enjoy.

Popwar Pill
09-09-2007, 06:30 PM
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?fbd5c330c3.jpg

Yeah...I have Linkin Park on my itunes...wanna fight about it? Anyway speaking of which...I found Nelly "Air Force Ones" on my itunes...god damn my brother for downloading this song....yet I'm still listening to it!

dustydust
09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?fbd5c330c3.jpg

Yeah...I have Linkin Park on my itunes...wanna fight about it? Anyway speaking of which...I found Nelly "Air Force Ones" on my itunes...god damn my brother for downloading this song....yet I'm still listening to it!

link doesnt work.

skydemon666
09-10-2007, 11:16 AM
I like the guitar work and speed, but I hate his singing. Its like church music