PDA

View Full Version : Kanye West - Graduation

Word Life
09-08-2007, 03:58 AM
I posted in the cd/album reviews thread, but nobody really looks at it.

Kanye West-Graduation

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Graduation_%28album%29.jpg

Graduation will be the third studio album release from Island Def Jam/Roc-A-Fella hip hop artist/record producer Kanye West. It will be released on September 11, 2007 with a heated battle for the number 1 spot against 50 Cent's Curtis album. As many people already know, this album has already leaked on to the internet. I am one of the many people who have downloaded this album and am here to share this review with you.

Before you listen to the album
I would like to inform you a little bit about this album. This is the first Kanye album to not feature any skits at all, which I kinda miss because it is part of what made his albums funny. A few tracks were cut from this album including the highly speculated "Bittersweet Poetry" feat. John Mayer which was leaked onto the internet a few months ago( I will be reviewing this track along with the others.). It was later announced to be an iTunes bonus track.

1. Good Morning (intro) - This song is a very lighthearted, and kind of slow, but it gives you the spiritual, uptempo feeling that you usually get on Kanye's intro tracks. This song Contains samples from "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" by Elton John and it also Contains additional vocals by Jay-Z, Tony "Penafire Williams and Connie Mitchell

2. Champion - This song is one that gives a nice "get up and party" vibe, yet it also features an inspirational hook, that is followed by a smooth egotistical flow by Kanye.

* Contains elements from "Kid Charlemagne" as performed by Steely Dan
*Contains additional vocals by Tony "Penafire Williams and Connie Mitchell

3. Stronger – You know almost everything you need to know about this song. Agreat feel-good party vibe, and it doesn't hurt that it features a sample from Daft Punk's “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger”

4. I Wonder - One of my favorite songs on this album, it starts off slow with the sample, and then kicks in with a high rythmic beat, a nice song to "bob ya head" to. Contains a sample from "My Song" as performed by Labi Siffre.

5. Good Life (Ft. T-Pain) - This song is straight, but I'm kinda getting tired of T-pain spilling his crap over everyones songs. Contains samples from "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing). Contains backing vocals by Ne-Yo and John Legend

6. Can't Tell Me Nothing - Some people thought he couldn't pull it off, but Kanye did it, he recorded a song with a more street song, with a pretty rough sounding beat, and the lyrics are just explosive. Contains additional vocals by Young Jeezy and Connie Mitchell

7. Barry Bonds (Feat. Lil' Wayne) - Wonderful song, nice beat, sick lyrics, sick ass chorus, and the verse by Lil' Wayne doesn't hurt much. Contains a sample from "Long Red" as performed by Mountain

8. Drunk & Hot Girls (Feat. Mos Def) - Basically an pretty funny anthem by Kanye West, about how "We go through too much bullshit just to mess with these Drunk & Hot Girls." Mos Def does a pretty good job on this track as well. Contains elements from "Sing Swan Song" as performed by Can. Contains additional vocals by Tanya Herron

9. Flashing Lights (Feat. Dwele) I didn't know what to expect going into this song as it had an uprising intro which just led to a slow sound, but DAMN! The beat just became fire once it kicked up and started, Dwele did a nice ass job on the chorus, and of course Kanye just casually flowed throughout the whole song. Contains additional vocals by Connie Mitchell

10. Everything I Am - A song about how people keep hating and talking shit about Kanye, yet he keeps doing well no matter how egotistical he might act and how much hate he sometimes brings it. Contains elements from "If We Can't Be Lovers" by Prince Phillip Mitchell. Contains elements from "Bring The Noise" by Public Enemy. Contains additional vocals by Tony "Penafire Williams

11. The Glory - A speedy flow, with violins that mix well with the rest of the beet. Contains elements from "Save the Country" by Laura Nyro. Contains a sample from "Long Red" by Mountain. Contains background vocals by John Legend, Mos Def, Jehireh Williams and Jalil Williams.

12. Homecoming (Feat. Chris Martin) - OMFG! Kanye West and Chris Martin from Coldplay!!! Who knew! Easily the best song on the album, GREAT beat, with piano and shit just really uptempo, just love it. Just in case you don't know this song features lyrics from a Kanye song that was supposed to be released on College Dropout which was simply entitled "Home", this song is basically a remake of "Home", but with so many added factors. The Chris Martin hook is ridiculous and genious.

13. Big Brother - slow beat, with pretty good synths to give the beat a steady flow. This song seems to be talking about him and Jay-Z with obvious hints like "Like the black album, i was black and out.", references to the Blueprint album. references to the Diamonds remix and how his "big brother came in and beat his ass" meaning that Jay-Z had a really nice flow on that remix and " I told Jay i did a song with Coldplay(Homecoming), next thing i hear he got a song with Coldplay (Beach Chair). So this song basically talks about Jay-Z overshadowing Kanye, but how Kanye is working hard not to make it happen. This is the only song on the album that does not have a sample. (except for the bonus track "Bittersweet Poetry")

14. Bittersweet Poetry (Feat. John Mayer) (iTunes BONUS TRACK)- Previously titled just "Bittersweet", this song is a great one, i love the beat, it just flows great and John Mayer really does a great song on the chorus. I was pissed as hell when i found out it was not going to be on the album. But Kanye decided to at least put it as an iTunes Bonus Track. This song does not feature a sample

Overall, get this album, download it, buy it, whatever, it is a great album and I really give Kanye his dues on this one.

10/10

Turboz
09-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Kanye West is pretty good

TheSkateboardP
09-08-2007, 06:06 AM
i love kanye
i will get this album

hanyo66
09-08-2007, 06:12 AM
You have no clue how much I love "Stronger"

rock-adio
09-08-2007, 07:13 AM
I have a bit of it downloaded. Best Kayne album IMO.

Word Life
09-08-2007, 08:30 AM
i love this album. you guys gotta download it or buy it.

fat boy not slim
09-08-2007, 08:57 AM
yeah ill buy it
is it out in england