PDA

View Full Version : Metal Core: do you think it has a chance?

Turboz
09-07-2007, 06:53 AM
Many people despise the Metal Core genre. Magazines, Internet sites, even some threads on this site. Why does everyone hate it? What could we do to make it better?

Among The Living
09-07-2007, 08:05 AM
Nothing, cause metalcore sucks.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Metalcore is retarded.

Its just metal watered down and accepted by the media and get more play time than actual metal bands. They all use the same exact riffs, the drumming is more focused on fast dubble bass rather than good snare speed/technique. They all have vocalists who manage to sound almost dead on with the screaming of other metalcore bands. Not to mention, breakdowns everywhere and they always have a slow/emotional part to their songs.
Plus I really hate hardcore vocalists.

Just my view.

Among The Living
09-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Metalcore is retarded.

Its just metal watered down and accepted by the media and get more play time than actual metal bands. They all use the same exact riffs, the drumming is more focused on fast dubble bass rather than good snare speed/technique. They all have vocalists who manage to sound almost dead on with the screaming of other metalcore bands. Not to mention, breakdowns everywhere and they always have a slow/emotional part to their songs.
Plus I really hate hardcore vocalists.

Just my view.

Is it just me, or are almost all metalcore riffs totally ripped off from Gothenburg bands like In Flames or Dark Tranquility?

balkan
09-07-2007, 11:27 AM
i consider in flames to be a metalcore band. i think there is nothing wrong with it. i think that the original bands like killswitch engage, all that remains, and shadows fall etc., are all fairly creative, and your a retard if you think that they suck at their instruments. lately there have been a lot of rip off bands, thats true. and to rattm, what do you mean they water down their music to get airplay? when have you heard any of those bands on the radion anyway?

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-07-2007, 12:09 PM
and to rattm, what do you mean they water down their music to get airplay? when have you heard any of those bands on the radion anyway?

Radio? When did I say radio? And when did I say they water it down just to get playtime? I said it is watered down and sobered up, therefore it is more public/kid friendly which is less of a risk for the media to discuss and suggest.
None of it is dark, its not offensive and you even have the emotional slow parts so it has something for even non-metal fans which in return is more accepted.

drowning_fish
09-07-2007, 12:11 PM
None of it is dark, its not offensive and you even have the emotional slow parts so it has something for even non-metal fans which in return is more accepted.

lol you're acting as if those are necessities for good music

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-07-2007, 12:28 PM
lol you're acting as if those are necessities for good music

Its not. But when it comes to heavy metal, it shouldn't be family/media friendly and widely accepted by non-metal fans, and it shouldn't be hated by die-hard metal fans(which it is). It's exploiting the genre and turning it into another way to express feelings and be cute, and in return metal becomes what metalheads hated about other music.

Of course thats just my view on it.

Metalcore is to Metal like Green Day is to Punk.

Among The Living
09-07-2007, 02:18 PM
i consider in flames to be a metalcore band. i think there is nothing wrong with it. i think that the original bands like killswitch engage, all that remains, and shadows fall etc., are all fairly creative, and your a retard if you think that they suck at their instruments. lately there have been a lot of rip off bands, thats true. and to rattm, what do you mean they water down their music to get airplay? when have you heard any of those bands on the radion anyway?

You're an idiot, In Flames started out as a Melodeath metal band. Go listen to The Jester Race Album and yes, those bands suck at their instruments.

While I'm on the topic of melodeath bands, let me say that Lykathea Aflame is THE best Melodic/Technical Death metal band EvAr!!!!!1!111!!2!!!!

soundcheck1
09-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I don't mind metalcore. Not my fave genre but still pretty good.

dain84
09-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Worse, since Green Day never claimed to be punk.

Also, at least most pop-punk kids eventually move on to better punk. However, I see kids that will never go beyond Trivium and the like.

Among The Living
09-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Also, at least most pop-punk kids eventually move on to better punk. However, I see kids that will never go beyond Trivium and the like.

Haha.

I know people who devote their whole myspace to Trivium. It's kinda sad.

GoWithTheFlo
09-07-2007, 04:13 PM
i think it has a chance big bands like AS i Lay dying and Killswitch Engage are metalcore

Bleed the Freak
09-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Avenged Sevenfold was the best metalcore band ever. But City of Evil was still good. Still Remains is sweet. I love metalcore, but little punck asses think it sucks. Whatever, I'm still going to listen and love it.

YES!! Every band you mentioned (with the acception onf In Flames) is from Mass. Mass = Metalcore paradise.

Its not. But when it comes to heavy metal, it shouldn't be family/media friendly and widely accepted by non-metal fans, and it shouldn't be hated by die-hard metal fans(which it is). It's exploiting the genre and turning it into another way to express feelings and be cute, and in return metal becomes what metalheads hated about other music.

Family friendly? Ok, so metalcore isn't like Cannibal Corpse, big deal! But still, if I was a, say 6 year old kid listening to The Task by Still Remains, or Darkness Surrounding by Avenged Sevenfold, I'd crap myself.

And I love your comparisson, even though I don't agree with it. It made me lol.

Variation
09-07-2007, 04:39 PM
i ONLY like As Blood Runs Black, and A LITTLE Killswitch. stuff like trivum isnt good. and neither are any of those other bands. and i completely agree with rattm. EXCEPT i dont think that an entire group of people should be hated on because they like that genre.

Ya DIg?

Ynot
09-07-2007, 05:18 PM
i don't think metalcore should be destroyed. some of the bands in that genre just need to stop biting on each other's style.

0zero0
09-08-2007, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=Variation;2026279]i ONLY like As Blood Runs Black, and A LITTLE Killswitch. stuff like trivum isnt good. and neither are any of those other bands. and i completely agree with rattm. EXCEPT i dont think that an entire group of people should be hated on because they like that genre.

Ya DIg?[/QUOTE
i personally thought ascendency was great, but yah on subject metalcore isnt moving anywhere bands just keep doing the same thing its like wolfmother ripping of led zeppelin

drowning_fish
09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I liked American Idiot... Don't know why everyone hated it. I thought it was alright. Not great, but alright

Popwar Pill
09-08-2007, 07:56 PM

I don't see anything wrong with having emotional lyrics....I don't know about you but it feels pretty damn good to listen to people get their anger and feelings out and knowing that someone out there is going through the same shit you are. Music is an emotional thing....of course emotional lyrics are going to be written...who gives a fuck if a distorted guitar and pounding double bass just happen to be with it?

BROBOT
09-08-2007, 08:02 PM
metalcore is retarded

Marevix
09-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I don't see anything wrong with having emotional lyrics....I don't know about you but it feels pretty damn good to listen to people get their anger and feelings out and knowing that someone out there is going through the same shit you are. Music is an emotional thing....of course emotional lyrics are going to be written...who gives a fuck if a distorted guitar and pounding double bass just happen to be with it?

I'm not sure if this is how RATTM meant that, but I think he's talking about metalcore bands that focus more on the emotional content than quality instrumentation.

Popwar Pill
09-08-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure if this is how RATTM meant that, but I think he's talking about metalcore bands that focus more on the emotional content than quality instrumentation.

Well, if he does mean it the way you put it then I agree, but if not...the above comment still applies.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
09-08-2007, 08:31 PM

I am talking about the clean emotional parts.. like fuckin BFMV does.

I EAT BABIES
09-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Metalcore? There are way too fucking many genres of metal.

kag123
11-26-2007, 10:59 AM

A couple years ago, I started off with Atreyu, then trivium and moved up to (in my opinion) better music.

V3
11-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Your gunna get banned or warned kag...NOOO

CasperGuy
11-26-2007, 11:59 AM
"destroy it " is winning... hurray
i see there is still hope !!!

ruckus.
11-27-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't care. I'll listen to what I want, they can listen to what they want. It just bugs the hell out of me when I'm chilling just minding me own business and some random little whore starts bitching me out saying my music sucks because 'there's no melody.' Bullshit.

DomPy
11-27-2007, 11:51 AM
trivium's first two albums were really good, and you can't say that they haven't shown talent

but the crusade was SHIT

fr00tl00pz
11-27-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't care. I'll listen to what I want, they can listen to what they want. It just bugs the hell out of me when I'm chilling just minding me own business and some random little whore starts bitching me out saying my music sucks because 'there's no melody.' Bullshit.

Thank you.

Crazylikeafox
11-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I love how metalcore sounds, I hope it stays around.

A lot of the posts I'm reading above show a lack of knowledge about the genre.

ride almost
11-27-2007, 04:51 PM
improve it

rippen in da mitten
11-27-2007, 04:52 PM
^thats what i siad

ride almost
11-27-2007, 04:54 PM
love da sig

its 10:24
11-27-2007, 04:57 PM
i think it has a chance big bands like AS i Lay dying and Killswitch Engage are metalcore

haha killswitch engage is so terrible

Variation
11-27-2007, 05:23 PM
mainstream metal core = shit. aka AILD Trivium etc.

Most underground metal core = OK/Good. Injun Joe Emmure The acacia strain etc.

sobrien
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Poison the Well was amazing a couple years ago, but they turned to suck.

SuperBlah
11-28-2007, 05:41 PM
Metalcore has hope as long as bands like Unearth, Becoming the Archetype, and Zao keep making music.