what
11-05-2005, 10:18 PM
Any fans i know i am one.

visa71
11-06-2005, 07:35 AM
ya hes crazy i realy like his song the watch tower

Klausfloride
11-06-2005, 08:01 AM
all along the watchtower was writen by bob dylan, Jimi just covered it. But i like fire

Hippopotamus
11-06-2005, 08:11 AM
House Burning Down is probably my favorite Hendrix song as of now. IMO the Hendrix cover of watchtower is better then Bob Dylan's version, I love Dylan's version, but I think Hendrix actually improved on a perfect song

Goofy Skater
11-06-2005, 08:13 AM
he's craz good dude purple haze, voodoo child, andy

Vivica
11-06-2005, 08:18 AM
we all know all along the watch tower was a cover, and most of us who are older than 12 will know that even dylan said hendrix's version was better... didn't write it though did he!

Hendrix was awesome, no doubt about that... however i still stick by the arguement me and Rage had a good 5 months ago, that Hendrix is an over rated guitarist!

amazing yes, the best ever, no.

Mosaic
11-06-2005, 08:57 AM
however i still stick by the arguement me and Rage had a good 5 months ago, that Hendrix is an over rated guitarist!

exactly what is "over rated", but as for me i love Jimi Hendrix, one of the greatest musicians ever. But i agree dont think he's the best.

Hey Vivica, who do think is the greatest Guitarist ever?

Vivica
11-06-2005, 09:23 AM
its IMPOSSIBLE to say who's the best ever.

and by over rated i mean that i can guarentee you'll have 50 newbies on this forum who'll see this thread and think "oh, i can say i like fire, or purple haze, hendrix is cool right?"

yea, sure the songs are good, laughing sams dice is nothing short of brilliant, its just be gets too many people saying he's amazing, when he's not really as good as people make out.

However, YES he was one of the first people to do ALOT of what he did, so i will give him mad props for that!

Snake
11-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Easy rider anyone

visa71
11-06-2005, 09:59 AM
did u know he poored acid(the drug) all over his jacket and when he sweet it went in him so he was high 24/7. hes my hero 4 that

redneck_skater
11-06-2005, 10:10 AM
ya hes crazy i realy like his song the watch tower
if you like him so much you should know its All Along the Watchtower, and its not his, its bob dylan's, but he covered it.

yeah his songs are the best... my favorite is voodoo child

yekcim
11-06-2005, 05:44 PM
i went to the rock n roll hall of fame in cleveland, and they had a theatre with nothing but hendrix shows.
HE PLAYED THE SOLO TO VOODOO CHILD WITH HIS FUCKING TEETH!!
he is amazing, but i think there are better guitarists out there.
but yes i do like his songs a lot too. purple haze is my fav.

Tom-K
11-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Ya he rules my favorite song is castle made of sand

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
11-07-2005, 04:39 PM
we all know all along the watch tower was a cover, and most of us who are older than 12 will know that even dylan said hendrix's version was better... didn't write it though did he!

Hendrix was awesome, no doubt about that... however i still stick by the arguement me and Rage had a good 5 months ago, that Hendrix is an over rated guitarist!

amazing yes, the best ever, no.

You need to understand that that when people talk about Hendrix, they arent always talking about his music, they are talking about him personally which is what I hear about him mostly. You cant put the "overrated" label on someone who did something with more style and passion than most anyone else and created a sound no one could imitate. I'd like to hear you opinion on the "Greatest" guitarist is. The G3 guys? Any guitarist could write a better album than Joe Satriani, and actually stay on beat with all the songs. Yngwie Malmsteen? I'd say he is one of the greatest guitarists today, but he doesn't have the beauty and passion which makes a good guitarist. One thing that made Hendrix as well known as he is was his reason. He wasnt a sketchy guitarist, he was consistant, he was fast progressing, he was fast, he wrote classics, he was a poet in every form as a person and guitarist. He wasnt just good, like alot of today's guitarists. The only person to come close was Stevie Ray Vaughan, and he came pretty damn close. But I heard his version of Little Wing, and realized no one could possible play like he did.

Listen to the solo guitar versions of Bold As Love, and Little Wing. And listen to the the solo versions of the G3 guys(if they have one that doesnt have a distorted backing guitar playing that floods out all the mistakes they make), and come back with the names of the songs you feel out play his. Not just the G3 guys, anyone. And don't mention Santana, that is an overrated guitarist, sure the guy has lots of passion, but not the skill. And if you are sticking with the G3 guys, I'd ask you to find out who they consider the best guitarist ever, and when they say Hendrix, maybe you should sit down, open your mind and consider the fact that someone who knows alot about guitars and techniques like the G3 guys must know a thing or two about what makes a good guitarist.. let alone the Best.

Rock_Rocks77
11-07-2005, 04:44 PM
all he said was he didnt think you could safely say hedrix was the best... so are YOU saying hendrix WAS the best? even though what you said seemed like it was all based on your opinion of passion and what not instead of actual skill. you're too confident for an argument that shitty.

eS skater 984
11-07-2005, 05:44 PM
crosstown traffic is a great song

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
11-07-2005, 06:17 PM
all he said was he didnt think you could safely say hedrix was the best... so are YOU saying hendrix WAS the best? even though what you said seemed like it was all based on your opinion of passion and what not instead of actual skill. you're too confident for an argument that shitty.

I never said he didnt have skill. Of course he does, and thats essential for guitarists, but also is passion. Hendrix is, in my opinion, one of the most skilled guitarists out there. Thats also apart of my arguement. I've spent time studying techniques, and people's style of playing and what not. Its an educated opinion, comming from someone who has openly listened to alot of well known and not so well known guitarists. Of course everyone has their own opinion, and I don't mind at all, but at the same time I still feel safe to say that Hendrix is by far the best due to my knowlege and love for guitar. I am not putting any of the G3 or other guys down, I am only saying when it comes to who I think is the best, I have to go with Hendrix. There is more to his music than fast fretwork.

If that opinion, comming from the knowlege of a commited guitarist, is written off as a shitty arguement, than so be it.

headrush_skater
11-07-2005, 07:46 PM
i also think jimi hendrix is overrated. people are still saying hes the best. i dont necessarily think he was the best ever, maybe the best of his time, but you have to realize, musicians back then all wrote about the same thing, war, drugs, and politics. now, people have so much more to write about, and his music gets blown away by some newer, more cultured musicians. jimi was amazing, but then again, so are other people. i think, also, because of the massive jump in technology, sound quality has improved so greatly, and effects have become so popular that his music just doesnt compare. it is pretty amazing that he was playing the best music of his era while heavily drugged :P

what
11-07-2005, 07:51 PM
im glad this thread came to good use.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
11-07-2005, 08:12 PM
i also think jimi hendrix is overrated. people are still saying hes the best. i dont necessarily think he was the best ever, maybe the best of his time, but you have to realize, musicians back then all wrote about the same thing, war, drugs, and politics. now, people have so much more to write about, and his music gets blown away by some newer, more cultured musicians. jimi was amazing, but then again, so are other people. i think, also, because of the massive jump in technology, sound quality has improved so greatly, and effects have become so popular that his music just doesnt compare. it is pretty amazing that he was playing the best music of his era while heavily drugged :P

Jimi's music was so good BECAUSE it wasnt filtered by all this digitalized shit. Technology doesnt make someone a better musician. Name one guitarist out there that out does Jimi, and who is in a band that doesn't talk about war and politics and drugs? And what the hell do you mean "musicians back then all wrote about the same thing, war, drugs, and politics"? Thats a very ignorant statement. Have you even heard Jimi's music? He only mentions war and politics in a few songs, the rest is all poetry or love. There are probably more bands now days that are singing about drugs and politics. Alot more, actually.. to be honest there is a whole fucking genre now days that is basically all about drugs or politics.

BAKAAA
11-07-2005, 09:13 PM
i think jimi is a great musiciana nd one of the best if not the best for his style of music. he was very innovative and broke a lot of oundarys for guitar playing. voodoo child, bold as love, castles made of sand, and purple haze are all good

minilogoskickrock69
11-08-2005, 11:16 AM
i like alot of his music my favorite song from him has to be all along the watchtower or purple haze

Vivica
11-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Rage, i know everything you're saying, and i understand it all, we've already estabilished that we both know a fair deal about music, but we do disagree on this subject.

i'm well aware that technical ability isn't everything and i'm sure you appreciate that i don't beleive it is.

lets just agree to disagree, because i seriously cannot be fucked to go through this whole thing Again!

Vivica
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
And what the hell do you mean "musicians back then all wrote about the same thing, war, drugs, and politics"? Thats a very ignorant statement. Have you even heard Jimi's music? He only mentions war and politics in a few songs, the rest is all poetry or love. There are probably more bands now days that are singing about drugs and politics. Alot more, actually.. to be honest there is a whole fucking genre now days that is basically all about drugs or politics.

i do almost 100% agree with all of that though!

that guy was talking out his ass.

Snake
11-08-2005, 03:00 PM
Jimi's music was so good BECAUSE it wasnt filtered by all this digitalized shit. Technology doesnt make someone a better musician. Name one guitarist out there that out does Jimi, and who is in a band that doesn't talk about war and politics and drugs? And what the hell do you mean "musicians back then all wrote about the same thing, war, drugs, and politics"? Thats a very ignorant statement. Have you even heard Jimi's music? He only mentions war and politics in a few songs, the rest is all poetry or love. There are probably more bands now days that are singing about drugs and politics. Alot more, actually.. to be honest there is a whole fucking genre now days that is basically all about drugs or politics.

I agree with that. Excpept. Steve Vai> Jimi Hendrix.

headrush_skater
11-08-2005, 03:13 PM
that guy was talking out his ass.

all i did was give my two cents. you cant tell me that if jimi hendrix played guitar with a new style amp with newer and better equipment, that it wouldnt sound at least a little better. jimi hendrix, among many other musicians, lived in a time of war, politics and discrimination, people wrote about it then, and people still write about it now. the same subjects still come up because its still the same world in a sense. people will always be hateful, political, and stupid, among other things. musicians now write about all of the same things they used to because theyre still factors in life, i said that already, but they now write about different things that werent even issues then. its a changing world, there are less taboos on touchy topics nowadays because people are much more informed, hence the "more cultured" statement. dont try to tell me that what i said was ignorant, it may have been, but im sure if really felt the need to use that tone, then you obviously felt that something was ignorant about your views as well.

oh, dont try to put me in my place when you have no idea who i am, or what my level of intelligence is. "Jimi's music was good BECAUSE it wasnt filtered by all this digitalizde shit." did i ever even imply that musicians are better because of technology? no, read what i said, i said SOUND QUALITY has improved. there are more things he could do now with his equipment that would make it sound 100x better than what it did, different values of sounds would show, and different effects would be heard. who knows, maybe if he had just a tad more gain when he was playing, one little extra harmonic stum would have been heard and it would have conveyed the mood of the song better. you cant say it would or wouldnt happen, its a THEORY.

Ass

Vivica
11-09-2005, 10:12 AM
you contradicted yourself...

please be quiet.

Vivica
11-09-2005, 10:13 AM
I agree with that. Excpept. Steve Vai> Jimi Hendrix.

WORD!!

i finally got hold of another album from the vai, and its amazing!

yayo gak is GENIUS!

Snake
11-09-2005, 12:29 PM
WORD!!

i finally got hold of another album from the vai, and its amazing!

yayo gak is GENIUS!

I know man! Most underrated guitarist ever.

Vivica
11-09-2005, 12:37 PM
i disagree, i think he gets atleast as much respect as he deserves.

Zoo York
11-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Hendrix is legend.

StarcraftLedZeppelin
11-09-2005, 01:13 PM
hendrix is cool, hes from seattle. i live in seattle, they are going to destroy his child hood home here. and probly put some shitty little store where his house used to be, when they destroy his house im stealing tons of parts.

my opinion Jimmy Page is alittle better then Jimmi Hendrix.

what
11-09-2005, 07:57 PM
hendrix is cool, hes from seattle. i live in seattle, they are going to destroy his child hood home here. and probly put some shitty little store where his house used to be, when they destroy his house im stealing tons of parts.

my opinion Jimmy Page is alittle better then Jimmi Hendrix.

i live in the seattle area but more like renton. His grave is close by to where alot of my friends live

headrush_skater
11-09-2005, 08:14 PM
vivica, did you happen to see how bad i completely flamed you in the art forum? yea, you are a dumb, inconsiderate bitch, you think you know everything, but good grammar does not make you a genious, i think i proved that pretty solidly. stop to talk down to people and look at yourself really hard. do you really have the right to do what youre doing? no, you dont. im fuckin tired of you trying to put me in my place, especially in the manner that you do it in. you have no fucking clue what youre talkin about, so please, be quiet yourself you fucking trick.

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
11-09-2005, 10:36 PM
vivica, did you happen to see how bad i completely flamed you in the art forum? yea, you are a dumb, inconsiderate bitch, you think you know everything, but good grammar does not make you a genious, i think i proved that pretty solidly. stop to talk down to people and look at yourself really hard. do you really have the right to do what youre doing? no, you dont. im fuckin tired of you trying to put me in my place, especially in the manner that you do it in. you have no fucking clue what youre talkin about, so please, be quiet yourself you fucking trick.

Atleast Vivica made a point.

Vivica
11-10-2005, 01:42 AM
wow... props from Rage :)

headrush, yes i talk down to some people, usually people who make retarded comments...

but if somebody is making sense then i'll respect what they're saying, and atleast argue against it, as many people on this forum have come to know.

as for what goes on in the art forum, i'm sorry that you lack the mental capacity to understand what i'm saying.
all of your arguements are based around twisted versions of what i have said, simple as that.

back on topic, i think most will agree, Hendrix was good, there have been better.

Snake
11-10-2005, 12:38 PM
i disagree, i think he gets atleast as much respect as he deserves.
I dont think he does at all. If you ask someone off the street who Steve Vai is they want know 70 percent of the time. Around here anyway, you exports are just messed up.