PDA

View Full Version : Bass help, fret buzz?

Kumquat
07-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Ok, fine, call me a poser, call me a n00b. I have no idea why the bass buzzes. I just have no idea what makes the frets buzz, can someone tell me why its doing this, and how I can stop it?

Comfortably Numb
07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
When you pick the string play as far down as you can and it will stop.

jpharaoh69
07-17-2007, 05:13 PM
When you pick the string play as far down as you can and it will stop.

either that or your action is too low. action being the space between the strings and the fretboard.

now if thats the case, either live with it or adjust it. you could do it yourself, but odds are if you don't know why they buzz, you won't be able to adequately adjust them. so go to the nearest store that does set-ups and have them do it.

hippyskater9244
07-17-2007, 06:37 PM
adjust the truss rod, if its at the top of the neck, put the right size allen wrench and turn till theres no fret buzz on every fret. If its at the back of the neck, take a small allen wrech and turn it. If that doesnt work adjust the saddles on the bridge. And if you dont know how to do that, take it to your local music store.

BailBoarder
07-17-2007, 07:11 PM
some of it is just how the bass naturally plays. there is always gunna be a little buzz.

Marevix
07-21-2007, 07:36 PM
You might not be putting enough pressure on the frets. If not that, it's probably the instrument itself.

gunsnroses
07-21-2007, 07:39 PM
And it could also be where you're putting your fingers.

Variation
07-21-2007, 07:46 PM
get a fret less one. i like the tone on those better anyways.

Stroh
07-26-2007, 06:36 AM

fretless basses can buzz too, its all about the action and whether or not your bass is a piece of shit.

Skate-or-die77
07-26-2007, 07:29 AM
it may just be a crappy low-grade bass, does it come from a starter pack???

Marevix
07-26-2007, 09:59 AM

Do you play? Fretless is harder, especially for a beginner, to play on-pitch with.

Skater_goth
07-27-2007, 04:13 AM
fretless basses do sound much much better but they are much much harder to play if you are beginning. It's hard to judge sometimes.

yeah dude my bass buzzed but it was because my action was to high and when I pressed down on the frets it wasn't hard enough and caused vibration interference with the frets and the string, I just moved the string closer to the bass, and I can play further down the bass between the 2 pickups. I don't even get any buzz out of my piece of shit bass anymore.

Variation
07-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Do you play? Fretless is harder, especially for a beginner, to play on-pitch with.

yeah i play. but i wasnt sure if he was a beginner, or if he just had no common knowledge of the bass.