PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Metal?

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-29-2005, 08:16 PM
What is wrong with metal now days? I am sick of the whole 666 and "the beast" thing. What happened when metal was a pair of jeans and a homemade Iron Maiden shirt? And the days when the word "Dude" ruled metal unstead of "Fuck"? When metal wasn't about hatred? When guitar solos ruled metal, not satan? When high pitched vocals were essential, not ununderstandable growling? When metalheads were sarcastic long haired teens with a sense of humor, not teens with 50 piercings, black nail polish, and a stuck up "fuck off" attitude? When the ultimate Metal video was something like "Wayne's World" unstead of the tv show "Uranium"?

Share your thoughts.

Anti-Hero
10-29-2005, 08:51 PM
the times they are a changing, bob dylan said it years ago, it always will happen

Swiss
10-29-2005, 09:13 PM
^What he said.^

Usually things that are liked will eventually change. It sucks, but it's just the way life is I guess.

Marevix
10-29-2005, 09:14 PM
I only like a couple metal bands that were formed after 1990 right now. Newer metal is changing because the mainstream is starting to acknowledge metal more than it used to now that nu metal bands are popping up on MTV and such. Stereotypes were brought to life, and now society's convinced that metalheads are people who listen to Slipknot and Mudvayne and dress in a way similar to the goth stereotype.

Vivica
10-30-2005, 12:52 AM
real metal fans are still out there...

but most of them have just changed their taste in music, so what?

CasperGuy
10-30-2005, 02:45 AM
you re right man . i hate the new metal bands . they dont have humor and they dont play music for fun . watch the video clip of the song Holy Smoke-Iron Maiden and you will understand me. these guys are fucking enjoing their songs and having fun.i just dont know what music are we gonna hear in 20 year from now

Tom-K
10-30-2005, 04:01 AM
What is wrong with metal now days? I am sick of the whole 666 and "the beast" thing. What happened when metal was a pair of jeans and a homemade Iron Maiden shirt? And the days when the word "Dude" ruled metal unstead of "Fuck"? When metal wasn't about hatred? When guitar solos ruled metal, not satan? When high pitched vocals were essential, not ununderstandable growling? When metalheads were sarcastic long haired teens with a sense of humor, not teens with 50 piercings, black nail polish, and a stuck up "fuck off" attitude? When the ultimate Metal video was something like "Wayne's World" unstead of the tv show "Uranium"?

Share your thoughts.
It's all true... Metal has lost it's values. The only band's that actually accomplished something are probly black sabbath, led zeppelin, and alot of other 70/80's bands. Not no faggy bands like the ones that you see on headbangers ball these days. It's all true dude...All true

Zero Rulz
10-30-2005, 04:09 AM
hey bitch toy machine is cool

Vivica
10-30-2005, 04:15 AM
some of you guys really do talk a heap of shit don't you...

timorousme
10-30-2005, 05:50 AM
Real metal... I think it's in the same place where real punk is...

Anti-Hero
10-30-2005, 06:41 AM
Real metal... I think it's in the same place where real punk is...
the sewer?

honestly, everything is bound to happen, i mean all the 70s-80-s metalheads i guess just grew up, they have kids and stuff, they cant walk around in black jeans, maiden tees and leather jackets all the time, its just how stuff happens, but as long as you stay true then thats what matters, who cares what every faggot who wants to be hardcore does to try and be a metalhead, if you know whats right do it

visa71
10-30-2005, 07:12 AM
whats wrong with the new metal(the real loud stuff). metal always been about the devil and drug abuse none of that changed most of it just got more brutal which is good.(not all bands are devil worshipers and drug users)

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-30-2005, 08:18 AM
real metal fans are still out there...

but most of them have just changed their taste in music, so what?

I am just sick of being called a poser if I am playing metal just because I believe in God, it happened last night at guitar center, so I made this when I was pissed off. Its true, no one knows what metal is about anymore. Its not the music taste that pisses me off, its the personality that comes with it.

liebherk
10-30-2005, 09:26 AM
My feelings are much the same as yours. I don't listen to much metal, but yeah... I'm sick of that kind of negative outlook.

biff_corp
10-30-2005, 09:46 AM
whats wrong with the new metal(the real loud stuff). metal always been about the devil and drug abuse none of that changed most of it just got more brutal which is good.(not all bands are devil worshipers and drug users)
the main thing thats wrong with metal is some fag growling about self mutilation. and brutal is not good, if you want to listen to all that hardcore death shit then go ahead. and yes not all bands are satanic, but they all project that image.

dain84
10-30-2005, 10:45 AM
I totally agree with Luke here, metal sucks now. Whatever happened to Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, and Megadeth being essential to every metal fan's collection? All it is now is growling.

switch flipper
10-30-2005, 10:57 AM
i myself like the growling, but the old stuff is better

yekcim
10-30-2005, 12:52 PM

Share your thoughts.

i agree with every word u just said. i do like some nu metal bands, but old metal RULES. the metal heads now days are basically goths. me and my friend are the only kids in our school who actually like old stuff, and wear iron maiden t's.(haha we both have like 6) and the BEST part of music is the solos, but hardly any bands do them anymore!! stone sour has a solo to the song "get inside" but that is one of the very few modern day music solos that i know of.

and also. who thinks metallica balls now, but their first 3 or albums were AMAZING(i liked all of the other ones except for the last one that came out) . i just wanna know if anyone agrees with me.

fat_poser
10-30-2005, 01:41 PM
We have a damn sweet Christian metal band here.

DVS137
10-30-2005, 02:45 PM
I only like a couple metal bands that were formed after 1990 right now. Newer metal is changing because the mainstream is starting to acknowledge metal more than it used to now that nu metal bands are popping up on MTV and such. Stereotypes were brought to life, and now society's convinced that metalheads are people who listen to Slipknot and Mudvayne and dress in a way similar to the goth stereotype.
Slipknot now=Not the best Slipknot

Slipknot then=The best Slipknot you can get

So they play Slipknot on Headbangers Ball and stuff like that because they are not that heavy anymore

Anti-Hero
10-30-2005, 02:51 PM
slipkn ot ever= i have a headache

Bill Cosby
10-30-2005, 06:02 PM
you keep bringing up how bad 666 and all that crap is , but you also praise iron maiden... I wasnt around during the metal era but if i can recall correctly those two things go hand in hand.

goten9001
10-30-2005, 06:14 PM
so true...I would much rather have that then this gay shit out now...

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
10-30-2005, 07:49 PM
I mean don't get me wrong, I still like some bands who do growl vocals, its just waaaay too over used, every metal band is doing it now. Sure it was amazing with the first few bands who started it, but now its just annoying.

d_n_b_and_d_u_b
10-30-2005, 10:17 PM
i'm not sure, i never really got into that genre.

AFR
10-31-2005, 07:19 AM
What is wrong with metal now days? I am sick of the whole 666 and "the beast" thing. What happened when metal was a pair of jeans and a homemade Iron Maiden shirt? And the days when the word "Dude" ruled metal unstead of "Fuck"? When metal wasn't about ....

...Share your thoughts.
i agree 100% i hate .
i hate all the new crappy rock bands some off them are talented but they dont play for fun.
im the only kid in school that listens to real music everyone else just listens to whatever they hear on the radio for ex. O-zone or birtnee speers(sorry for wrong spelling)

StrikexHard
10-31-2005, 12:48 PM
iron maiden use the term "666" and "the beast" so you contradicted yourself. but for the actual point of the post.i agree

flipuk
10-31-2005, 12:58 PM

Share your thoughts.
rofl 666 and the beast... and you then mention Maiden? wtf were you thinking?
Metal has only expanded, there are still the sam people who go around in fucked jeans and long hair with a sense of humour looking to headbang and play the air guitar to some classic tunes - HOWEVER, perhaps just perhaps they also appreciate the newer metal bands who have come around. Why does metal have to be just speed? Is that the only genre you care to acknowledge under metal?

and ive never heard of Uranium and you shouldnt stereotype everyone.

ps you werent even around during the "the" days of metal so... live with it or stfu?

kornskaterlambofgod
10-31-2005, 04:09 PM
metal has always been about the devil. look at iron maiden and black sabbath.

biff_corp
10-31-2005, 04:17 PM
metal has always been about the devil. look at iron maiden and black sabbath.
yah, but they didnt growl about it... i dont know theres something about numetal that pisses me off

Anti-Hero
10-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Sabbath was not quite like Maiden though, i mean ***** Number of the Beast, what the fuck do you think that it RATTM?

also, ive read that lots of holy guys or whatever say that the real number of the beast is 616

FOSKCO_kills
10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
no its 666 its in the bible i think...well actually in the little booklet that comes in The Number Of The Beast it says where they got it from revelations ch.18 someshit like that

Anti-Hero
10-31-2005, 07:06 PM
well actually i dont give a flying fuck about the bible

givehugsnotdrugs
11-01-2005, 05:01 AM

Share your thoughts.

Come around here man, there's 4 of us, we can jam and have a good time.

Oh, and to everyone else. The Iron Maiden 666 point has been made like 5 times, shut up. Point made, he gets it.

Vivica
11-01-2005, 05:12 AM
it grew out of dioblism and got married, had 2 kids, and is now trying to get back to its previous life before it got married...

-hv-
11-01-2005, 05:51 AM
grunge came along and killed metal

Anti-Hero
11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
yeah right, grunge didnt kill anything, or do anything good for that matter

mkcrank mulisha
11-01-2005, 02:44 PM
and when did it have so much to do with anti religon?

dain84
11-01-2005, 03:45 PM
yeah right, grunge didnt kill anything, or do anything good for that matter
Dude, grunge single-handedly killed hair metal and new wave pop.

Kolzig
11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
metal self destructed when they started doing it for the money in the early 90s. nowadays the metalheads just pound on instruments with no rhythm or melody and it is a disgrace that they are not like what metal used to be

Iron_Maiden
11-01-2005, 04:24 PM

Share your thoughts.

I see where your coming from... I'm like the only one i know who listens to the old metal like Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth and Iron Maiden.. Like you were saying all these new bands are coming along to make money and are ruining peoples outlook on Metal, they are pretty much faggy goths trying to be cool.

Fallenfreak
11-01-2005, 06:06 PM
toy ur a genius. and ur right. metal now adays blows. the old stuff was always better, and always will be.

YourMom
11-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I agree, I hate the stupid ass image that has come out of metal now, especially all the goth, black, evil etc. It's pretty stupid. And that's excatly why some people get drawn into metal, which totally pisses me off. I listen to metal for the music. Guitar riffs, solos, bass lines, drum beats, and some decent vocals. I don't mind growling, just as long as it isn't screaming non stop. I think that even though death metal today, as well as other very popular genres liked by most the metal community, is a little too extreme, there's some really good stuff that can be found. Ex: Necrophagist. Ever listen to a song by them? They may seem like a generic death metal band, but they're really technical, and their neoclassical guitar leads will make you drool. I still prefer classic heavy metal like Maiden, Priest, Dio, King Diamond etc. That will never change.

Renegade
11-01-2005, 06:20 PM
bands like slipknot started that stuff but your right they need to be cool like disturbed and system of a down

greenmass
11-01-2005, 06:33 PM
change is unavoidable face the facts man theres nothing u can do

RageAgainstTheToyMachine
11-01-2005, 06:59 PM
bands like slipknot started that stuff but your right they need to be cool like disturbed and system of a down

SOAD is starting to blow.

flipuk
11-02-2005, 01:15 AM
^agreed, there sound is so different

and theres lots of awesome metal bands with amazing riffs, rhymth etc

skatemerica
11-02-2005, 01:59 PM
I love the old stuff like Iron Maiden and Metallica.. But at the same time, I love SOAD, Korn, Mudvayne, and Slipknot. It's just how the world rolls, and you gotta get used to it. Things change.

Anti-Hero
11-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Dude, grunge single-handedly killed hair metal and new wave pop.
grunge started like late 80s early to mid 90s, agree? If so then youd know that majority of real hair metal bands continued to play through the mid 90s anyway, and new wave pop, i guess something had to kill it, i couldnt give a shit

YourMom
11-02-2005, 07:08 PM
bands like slipknot started that stuff but your right they need to be cool like disturbed and system of a downWTF are you talking about? Are you implying that Slipknot started the extreme metal stuff like death metal and black metal? Cos if so, you have to be fucking kidding me. Let clue you into a little heavy metal history. The first band to claim themselves to be black metal was Venom when they made their album "Black Metal" (but they're actually just thrash metal, in fact probably the first thrash metal band ever). But Black Metal didn't really take off until Bathory released their self-titled album, and when Mayhem came out with their debut album. The term Death Metal was first mentioned by the Bay Area thrashers Possessed, when they released their debut album "Seven Churches." This album was one of the first to have "death growls" and death metal sound or something very close to that anyway. And albums like "Reign in Blood" by Slayer and "Pleasure to Kill" by Kreator were also considered to be death metal back in the day. By today's standards they're more thrash/speed, but they were very important to the birth of Death metal, as were Death's and Morbid Angel's releases. This all happened before the 90s, long before Slipknot was even known by the masses.

Also, if you think metal is to be "cool," then you have no idea what metal is about. Heavy metal is somewhat anti-social, because it's not the most accepted genre of music. In fact, I've come to conclude that most people hate heavy metal (the real kind), or they go to the more mainstream stuff, or the "darker" stuff cos it's "cool." There are very few people who are true metalheads. Which is OK by me, less idiots who I have to associate myself with.

PS, someone said that heavy metal about the devil. I wouldn't consider that entirely true. It does have a lot to do with the darker side of things, and most is about good vs. evil. There are also lot of anti-organized religion in the music too, especially in black metal. In any case, I would consider most metal to be about rebellion, and going against the norm. That's what heavy metal was found on, and that's what it's still about today.